Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
How quickly it all changes. This discussion. The pointlessness of it. The fact that we're arguing over when Disney will open. That people wanting to rush it open, even at the potential sake of lives.

Just had a phone call - my extremely high risk sister has just been taken to the hospital and admitted for suspected Covid.
Sending positive thoughts and prayers to your sister and family. Having a high risk family member definitely gives one a different prospective. Hang in there.

How quickly it all changes. This discussion. The pointlessness of it. The fact that we're arguing over when Disney will open. That people wanting to rush it open, even at the potential sake of lives.

Just had a phone call - my extremely high risk sister has just been taken to the hospital and admitted for suspected Covid.

First, and most importantly, I'm sorry, and I hope she ends up being ok.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting we open up now, and if people die , then oh well, i get to enjoy Disney. It's just we have different opinion on exactly the severity of the trends, etc.

That kind of news sure gives perspective and puts you right in the real moment. 🙁 Sending your sister strength & healing energy. Sending you a virtual hug.. 🤗

I am very interested in your thoughts on this since the IHME model estimates have been reduced many times now. Most people seem to think that model was TOO aggressive. I have my first Disney cruise in July and a WDW trip in August and I really hope at least one of them happens. (For the record I currently believe that both are possible)
I can tell you for a fact that you will not be on a cruise in July. Sorry to give you the bad news, but no cruises will be operating in the US this summer and that has been decided already.

Editing with an update (and then I won't say more about it since it is off topic):

The hospital called my mother, and it's not Covid. It's in fact worse, she is severely septic due to a cellulitis infection in her leg. She is in ICU and they feel she will need to be intubated as her vitals are not good and she's struggling to breathe. The doctor has warned us that she is very critical, and they're not sure she's going to make it (due to her other complicating issues). We are all heart broken, and welcome all prayers, positive thoughts etc... It is heartbreaking that thanks to Covid she has to go through this alone. And I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I really do appreciate them. And for everyone who is making early projections... here's praying you're right. The sooner Covid goes away the better.

Last edited:
Thanks. We're waiting on word from the hospital. My sister is very mentally handicapped, functioning level more like a child. She only has one functioning kidney, high blood pressure, diabetes, and other issues. She is a nursing home resident.

Anyways, they said her symptoms started this morning and progressed very rapidly. By this evening her heart rate was bad, oxygen low and her breathing raspy. She was taken in immediately.

They've just taken her for x-rays but the doctor said her lungs sound like pneumonia, which in their opinion definitely makes Covid likely. 😔 Results from the swab will be 24-48 hours.

Anyone of the mind, please pray. My mother's brother just died two weeks ago, and now this. She/we are all very upset.

Ugh. I feel so bad for you, your family and your sister. :( We will be thinking of you over here.

I'm sorry. Thank you for sharing and please keep us updated!

I think there's one poster, possibly, who thinks Disney is going to be fully operational by June 1? The rest of us are quite rational in our thinking that they will open in some capacity sometime during the summer. They most likely will not wait for a vaccine.

That's me. I think the mortality rate is going to decline through the month, and by the middle of May people are going to think the storm has passed. In 35 days -- which is longer than we've already been doing this in most of the country -- with the death rate declining and everyone going crazy being at home, plus shelter in places being lifted through most of the country, the rationale for staying closed won't be as powerful as the need to start proving we'll all be okay. I think WDW will open June 1 not in spite of public pressure, but because of it.

mshanson, you and i have argued for years on this board, but i sincerely send my best thoughts and prayers to you, your sister and your family. Godspeed.

Last edited:
From what i have seen, the IMHE model has been consistent with the data coming out of New York, the only true epicenter of this oubreak in the US. The thing the IMHE hasn't been is full of anecdotal and personal data, but its numbers have been consistently right in the United States so far. They just haven't been as apocalyptic (62,000 deaths is plenty) as many has projected the pandemic to be, and that leads some to consider them overly optimistic.

The IHME model has consistently been way off across the board, even for NY, the only thing somewhat close was the deaths in the revised versions. IT is about 2% off on hospitalization today even after being revised yesterday. It also predicted 200K deaths in the US a little over a week ago. The upper range was 1.2 million deaths, this was with social distancing , stay at home in place. I am saying this as I wouldn't rely on that model too much for Florida and Disney opening. For example the model is off by about 50% on the number of deaths in Florida today.

Aussie government just hinted that overseas tourist travel won't be allowed for the rest of the year. The said once restrictions start to lift in a few months only plan travel with in your own state and later on in the year maybe to other places with in the country. I guess many countries will be like this so I think when the parks do start to reopen it will be only locals at first and then the rest of the year will be almost no overseas guest

The IHME model has consistently been way off across the board, even for NY, the only thing somewhat close was the deaths in the revised versions. IT is about 2% off on hospitalization today even after being revised yesterday. It also predicted 200K deaths in the US a little over a week ago. The upper range was 1.2 million deaths, this was with social distancing , stay at home in place. I am saying this as I wouldn't rely on that model too much for Florida and Disney opening. For example the model is off by about 50% on the number of deaths in Florida today.
What you have to look at but is overseas places that thought they had it under control. This is just round 1. Japan, norway and China are in a 2nd wave

It's wishful thinking at best. It's essentially 'We are announcing a plan to start coming up with a plan'. This is all day to day so any plan about what is going to happen in the future is a guess. Remember the president said we would be open by Easter? And WDW was only going to be closed for 2 weeks? Nobody knows.
I missed the one about the president. I heard him say he hoped we would be open by Easter.

Thanks. We're waiting on word from the hospital. My sister is very mentally handicapped, functioning level more like a child. She only has one functioning kidney, high blood pressure, diabetes, and other issues. She is a nursing home resident.

Anyways, they said her symptoms started this morning and progressed very rapidly. By this evening her heart rate was bad, oxygen low and her breathing raspy. She was taken in immediately.

They've just taken her for x-rays but the doctor said her lungs sound like pneumonia, which in their opinion definitely makes Covid likely. 😔 Results from the swab will be 24-48 hours.

Anyone of the mind, please pray. My mother's brother just died two weeks ago, and now this. She/we are all very upset.
So sorry to hear. Prayers your way.

Sending thoughts and prayers to your sister and your family!!!

Negative negative negative.

Let's be positive people!

I'm going to WDW first week in September.... cant wait!!!!!!

Let's go!!!!!!!!
This is why I’m choosing to believe that my July cruise and August trip are still happening. Until the cancellation email comes I’m keeping the positivity up! I appreciate companies like Disney taking the closures a little at a time instead of throwing in the towel on the whole summer as some have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter