Craziest table mates you have had.

When my wife and I went in October we asked for and got a table for two. It was perfect.

When we went in June, there were 5 of us and 2 days in, the elderly couple that was sharing the table with us left to go to a table by themselves. They, two women in their 80s had nothing in common with us and I guess felt out of place. My kids were all over 20.

On our previous cruise we sat with a lovely couple who, as it turned out, was retired but had worked for the same company I currently do so it made for a very pleasant and enjoyable week.

It really depends on who you are seated with. Since you are a group of 7 and the tables are for 8, odds are you wouldn't sit with anyone else anyway!

---Paul in Southern NJ

so, do they pay DCL cruise fare for the dolls? I could only watch the 1st 3-4 minutes of that video... I'm freaking out about the money and time wasted on packing that diaper bag.... I don't get that at all. Wow! What if they put the same effort and resources into foster children, or pets.. or something..... wow, I'm so shocked

Different strokes for different folks. As for the time and resources, that is a personal choice that doesn't hurt anyone. People spend way more time and effort than that on golf or customizing cars, or jewelry etc. Not that I'm knocking those activities either, I just don't choose to spend my resources that way. I'm sure the money that I spend on camping equipment confounds some people.

Viva la difference!

Last edited:
Different strokes for different folks. As for the time and resources, that is a personal choice that doesn't hurt anyone. People spend way more time and effort than that on golf or customizing cars etc. Not that I'm knocking those activities either, I just don't choose to spend my resources that way. I'm sure the money that I spend on camping equipment confounds some people.

Viva la difference!
Yeah, I have a friend that spends big bucks on clothing, toys, professional photos and other fancy dog accessories to keep her little Dog in style. It’s ridiculous, but it makes her happy to spend her money that way. I mean, she has her own pink leopard stroller and wears tutus! The dog, I mean, not my friend. But live and let live, I say.

Do you think that she may just be doing this for the money that she makes from posting these videos? We were on a DCL cruise once and this young woman carried a stuffed teddy bear everywhere with her. Fortunately, she was not seated at our table. She put the bear in a chair next to her at dinner and the bear also occupied a chair in the Walt Disney Theater. We were just assuming that maybe she couldn't get a refund on whomever was supposed to be going with her, so she took the bear with her instead. Still and all, bizarre behavior for a grown women.

And then, there was a grown man carrying around a Stitch stuffed doll to the Disney Princess meet/photo opportunities. He would have his picture taken with a Disney princess, along with his Stitch doll. I even heard one of the photographers say, "Stitch is here!". He was often the first one in line, too! Except for Stitch, I think that he was alone on the cruise.

And then, there was a grown man carrying around a Stitch stuffed doll to the Disney Princess meet/photo opportunities. He would have his picture taken with a Disney princess, along with his Stitch doll. I even heard one of the photographers say, "Stitch is here!". He was often the first one in line, too! Except for Stitch, I think that he was alone on the cruise.
Maybe he has a daughter, or son that couldn't be there, so he was getting photos with a favourite stuffie? I mean, it's possible.

No, it's just him and Stitch. We've found ourselves on 2 different cruises he was on, and he brings Stitch everywhere, to meals and everything. I believe he cruises quite a bit.

On the Maiden Voyage of the Magic back in 1998 First cruise for us and first official cruise for Disney. We were so exited!!! We were a group of 7 at an 8 top (during lunch we found what table we would have for dinner). We wondered who the 8th person would be if any. As we approached the table for dinner I saw someone already sitting there with Mickey Mouse ears on and thought yes, someone who is as excited as I am about this first cruise for Disney. As we got closer we noticed he was pretty unkempt looking and wearing a stained white tank top undershirt and ragged shorts. We quickly realized he was not all there. Picture Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump at his lowest point (he had the same personality). We tried to converse but only got glaring and grunting in return so after several minutes we kept conversation to our own group. Our daughter (who was 14) had a roll on her plate. The man reached over, took her roll, took a bite out of it and then put it back on her plate. We were shocked. He then proceeded to rub our friend's back and kept touching her arm/neck/face. saying she was beautiful She and my husband asked him to stop but he continued. He made our female server cry by saying something crude to her. We realized he had some major issues and could not figure out why/how he was traveling alone. My husband found our head server and explained what was happening and that it was not acceptable behavior. The head server apologized and said they also had complaints about him from our serving team. They promised he would be moved elsewhere on the next night. We were relieved that we would not be sharing a table with him as we could not imagine more nights at dinner like that. Our 3 kids were terrified of him. The following night we saw him at a table by himself, talking to himself. It was sad and we don't know what his whole deal was but we saw him at various times during the cruise and he kept asking women in close proximity to him to push him in his wheelchair. It was really bizarre.

But, 29 cruises since that one and we have had nothing but wonderful tablemates!!!

MJ
o_O

That is awesome. Many times in Japan men and women will carry their own Duffy and take multiple pictures of him around the parks. They usually have a seat for him at meals too. Male or female makes no difference there when it comes to carrying around stuffed animals - or even dozens of stuffed animals as they tend to do. Most we ever saw was a man with 34 Donald Ducks of various sizes. He brought them all around - whatever makes people happy :)

That is awesome. Many times in Japan men and women will carry their own Duffy and take multiple pictures of him around the parks. They usually have a seat for him at meals too. Male or female makes no difference there when it comes to carrying around stuffed animals - or even dozens of stuffed animals as they tend to do. Most we ever saw was a man with 34 Donald Ducks of various sizes. He brought them all around - whatever makes people happy :)

We once had a group of young Japanese men on one of our cruises who had a Duffy bear with them. Every day the bear was dressed in very elaborate costumes. They had pics of the bear taken with all the different characters. Although I wouldn't spend money on something like that, my dd and I did enjoy seeing how the bear would be dressed each day. At dinnertimes the bear was usually better dressed than most people, lol!

We once had a group of young Japanese men on one of our cruises who had a Duffy bear with them. Every day the bear was dressed in very elaborate costumes. They had pics of the bear taken with all the different characters. Although I wouldn't spend money on something like that, my dd and I did enjoy seeing how the bear would be dressed each day. At dinnertimes the bear was usually better dressed than most people, lol!

We were at Aulani last week and the shop there had a full wall of Duffy (and the girl version) outfits. Not cheap either.

I have never understood the appeal of Duffy. Suppose it’s good all that hard sell Duffy marketing paid off for for Disney somewhere in the world.

We had an older gentleman sailing w his mother just the two of them. They did not speak to anyone at our table and we realized he was taking pictures of our kids (only them) at dinner. My husband finally said something when we realized what was going on and the guy never dined with us again.
That’s terrifying. I mean it actually, genuinely scares me. Wow. Super creepy.... so many people on one ship, and it’s funny how you can find yourself with the most bizarre people of all...

We were at Aulani last week and the shop there had a full wall of Duffy (and the girl version) outfits. Not cheap either.

I have never understood the appeal of Duffy. Suppose it’s good all that hard sell Duffy marketing paid off for for Disney somewhere in the world.

Duffy originated in Japan, and is especially popular with the Japanese. I've been at Aulani when they were expecting tour buses of Japanese tourists and they literally rearranged the stores to have Duffy and Shelly Mae and all their goodies front and center.

My 2 little grand princesses LOVE Duffy and Shelly Mae, and all their outfits. Duffy is quite the cuddly bear. And cute I think. I don't have one, but I have picked one up to squeeze in stores. For those of you old enough to know.... like the old Charmin' toilet tissues commercials. :D

Duffy originated in Japan, and is especially popular with the Japanese. I've been at Aulani when they were expecting tour buses of Japanese tourists and they literally rearranged the stores to have Duffy and Shelly Mae and all their goodies front and center.

My 2 little grand princesses LOVE Duffy and Shelly Mae, and all their outfits. Duffy is quite the cuddly bear. And cute I think. I don't have one, but I have picked one up to squeeze in stores. For those of you old enough to know.... like the old Charmin' toilet tissues commercials. :D

It actually started as just "The Disney Bear" and came in different colors. We have a gray one from the good old days.

That’s terrifying. I mean it actually, genuinely scares me. Wow. Super creepy.... so many people on one ship, and it’s funny how you can find yourself with the most bizarre people of all...
This is why I always say that you have to watch and keep track of your children. Just because you are on a Disney cruise doesn't mean you can automatically trust everyone on the ship around your children, passengers and crew alike

Out of 8 cruises, we were only seated once with table mates that we did not enjoy. Looking back, I don't blame them for not being interested in us. We were a family of 5, 3 kids. ages 9, 7 and 6. They were an upper middle-aged couple (mid-late 60's?) Many of these post talk about how DCL does great with matching table mates, but if I were an older, childless couple, why on earth would I want to be seated with 3 young children? My kids are well behaved, but they are NOT shy and like to talk. A LOT.

The couple was not rude or weird or anything, it was just obvious that we were not their ideal table mates, which made it a bit uncomfortable.

My BEST table mates were the single mom traveling with her 9 YO DD and dad. My DD was also 9, my DS was 11 and my youngest was 8. We would bump into them off the ship and end up hanging out with each other all day. Her DD was the best little girl, my kids would fight over playing with her and she was so diplomatic with them. The CC day, my kids wanted to go back to the ship around 230pm because there was a movie they wanted to see at 3pm, and it was the last showing for the cruise. Her DD wanted to go also, but the mom was determined to get a full day on CC. So she initially said no. I offered to bring her back with us, she could enjoy the movie with my kids, while mom got her rays in, and we agreed to meet outside the movie theater when it got over around 430-5ish. The movie was College Road Trip, and it had Donny Osmond in it, There was some humor that only adults would get, from watching him grow up. I laughed the loudest in the theater. My kids were getting embarrassed. When all of a sudden behind me I heard someone laughing as loud and as hard as I was. I turned, and it was my New BFF. We bonded right then and there. We knew we had a lot in common already, but when our sense of humor matched, it cemented us. We are good friends on FB and refer to each other as Disney Cruise BFF's. Our girls have both since graduated HS and are 20 yo adults. That cruise over 10 years ago was my most memorable. Our goal is to eventually go on another Disney Cruise together, so far, our lives have not matched up.

My BEST table mates were the single mom traveling with her 9 YO DD and dad. [snip] We are good friends on FB and refer to each other as Disney Cruise BFF's. Our girls have both since graduated HS and are 20 yo adults. That cruise over 10 years ago was my most memorable. Our goal is to eventually go on another Disney Cruise together, so far, our lives have not matched up.

what a lovely story!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter