Covid Fatigue

I empathize with all of you on this. It is such a tough spot we are in. We can see the finish line, but it seems we just can't get there. This current lockdown in Ontario is especially hard. I don't think we will ever be rid of the virus, but I do hope we get to a place where we can live with the virus fear free. Vaccines and treatments are the keys to getting back to our regular lives.
The impacts of this year are going to be felt for years both financially and mentally.

Like many of you, I also had a WDW vacation cancelled by COVID last year. And I agree with a PP that it's hard to read trip reports and reviews by others who have traveled this year. I don't post as much on the Boards because my personal experience at WDW is now so out of date in light of all the pandemic changes, restaurant and menu changes, etc.

But getting outside, in good spring weather and even during the cold winter months, has been a real game changer. Whether doing yard work or walking, getting out of the house and pushing my muscles a bit has helped tremendously. I know some live in apartments or condos. And others have physical or health limitations. But if that's not you, then fresh air really helps physically and mentally.

I have so many young neighbours who pay big $ to landscaping companies, snow removal teams, window washers, etc and more. Maybe no one showed them how to do basic property maintenance. But more likely, they don't want to be bothered and just add the expense onto a line of credit. It was so bad last summer that I almost yelled at one young 20-something neighbour. I was out at the roadside with my weed trimmer and she walked over. I had to stop my work as she approached. She asked me what I was doing, I explained, and she then 'told' me that it was just a huge waste of time, she couldn't be bothered, and it made 'her' feel bad to see women doing physical work. :sad2: And she interrupted my work to impart that bit of wisdom to a woman twice her age and twice her life experience. Somebody's parents and grandparents failed right there. Women need to be physically independent if at all possible and particularly need to be financially independent. Keeping costs down and saving is freedom. I don't even want to start on teenagers who won't pick up a snow shovel and won't push a lawnmower. These are lifelong skills. Being a Jill or Jack of all trades is critical and physical work and exercise is such a big boost for mental and emotional health. The pandemic has highlighted our need to be in control of at least the small things in our lives.
Wholeheartedly agree. Purposeful, often physical work is good for mind and body.

I also wanted to mention that for those of you seeking a family summer holiday, family summer camp may be an idea. Several camps in Muskoka run family weeks or weekends. I looked into Camp Muskoka. Camp New Moon and Camp Tamakwa also come to mind. Camp Muskoka is running all physically distanced activities and private mealtimes in your cabin. It was pricey at $199 per person per night, but that price included everything and they have wonderful facilities. I did family camp at Camp New Moon a few years ago and it was great—good food, great activities, excellent campfire with Bram from Sharon Lois and Bram. Only drawback was cold cabins, but I’d just pack better next time.

Last edited:
CBC news described most of Canada as simply trying to live with COVID while waiting and hoping for it to go away. The exception being the Maritimes. I thought it was an apt way of describing how my family and friends feel in BC.
:confused3 What else is there to do, really? No matter where we live in Canada, we've all been dictated a way-of-life by the local authorities and those of us that are compliant really have no choice but to "try and live" with it. A long ways back me and my household decided our only play was to stop trying to figure things out or chafe against the restrictions or loudly assert our own opinions - it was really beginning to drive us mad. We do what we're told to do and what we're allowed to do and yes, we wait and pray daily for it to go away. Who could have imagined this time last year that we'd still be in these circumstances?

I agree with you. It's those who are most loudly protesting the restrictions who are causing the continuation of the restrictions. If everyone would just follow guidance it would help to shorten the length of time we will all be in this mess. The protesters are becoming their own worst enemy and sadly they don't see it that way.

I read something the other day about the people in the US who won't take a vaccine and the ultimate effect that will have on the ability to rid the country of Covid. If anyone gives this virus a place to live, it will, and will happily replictate into another variant everyone will have to deal with.

I, aslo, am tired of Covid but hopeful 2022 will be a much more normal kind of year. What we do now in 2021 will determine that.

Wholeheartedly agree. Purposeful, often physical work is good for mind and body.

absolutely agree , but some of us are simply too emotionally and mentally drained to put in physical labour right now . I really wish I could but simply working, and parenting and home schooling , I’ve got nothing left right now as I haven’t been able to recharge whatsoever in the past 8 months . I can’t be the only one.
Weve talked about driving to Toronto solely for the drive and ordering Uber eats from some of our usual Toronto fav restaurants . No where else just 4 diff walls to stare at, and some of our fav foods .. ( after this stay at home ends of course if it ever does )
Terrified of the public judgement tho. Our small town is currently all out hating on others and yet if you whisper to ppl you find out they are doing the same stuff that they are publicly criticizing others for and it’s exhausting ..

Today I am working to combat Covid Fatigue by
admiring my newly seeded lawn. (My body is aching though).
Putting on a jacket and taking an umbrella and going for a walk in the Spring rain.
Ordering a Coffee & Bagel at the Drive Thru.
We will get through this!

Hugs
Mel
View attachment 567858
Oh for sure, I enjoy things like daily walks, now working on our backyard, opening our pool (it’s been mid to high 20s for a while in SW Ontario and otherwise mid teens) - we went to a beautiful garden centre yesterday, ordered some starbucks fraps, I mean we do all that of course. These things make me appreciative and happy and ready to face another month of lockdown. It’s harder on kids and teens who litterly can’t do anything, play their sports and see their friends.
What I’m referring to when comparing to the States is entertainement, restaurant, hotels, Disney etc etc open for business and people actually doing the very things we are not allowed here. In a safe way, there are precautions at all these places. Maybe we shouldn’t complain but it is frustrating. Yes I know it all comes down to the vaccine rollout now and theirs is ahead in a huge way.
We will get through this yes, I also believe it....and it’s ok to say we are having a hard time too. I am a huge optimist though and I believe by end of this year we’ll have Christmas at Disney world without Canada saying No :)
Also hoping for a more normal summer in Canada, but it will be hard for places to plan to open at the last minute.

I agree with you. It's those who are most loudly protesting the restrictions who are causing the continuation of the restrictions. If everyone would just follow guidance it would help to shorten the length of time we will all be in this mess. The protesters are becoming their own worst enemy and sadly they don't see it that way.

Exactly!!!! I have said this so many times! They're only prolonging it for everyone. However, I suppose they don't really care because they're living life how they want anyways, so what difference does it make to them? Especially if you're in an area that isn't heavily locked down. So in turn they just sit back and laugh at us "rule followers".

I agree with waiting for it to go away , but we certainly aren’t “trying to live with it “ life is simply on hold here. . I would say Americans are living with it .. IMO
Yes but this is why the USA has 171 deaths per 100K population and Canada only has 62 per 100K. (Data per CNN April 11-quick google search).
There will always be people thinking we are limiting too much and people who think we should lock down even further. Canada has done a decent job compared to most other countries.
Vaccine roll out appears slower here in Canada but a year ago, we weren’t even sure it was possible to make an effective vaccine. So the fact that we will all get our first shot by end of June is amazing progress.

Exactly!!!! I have said this so many times! They're only prolonging it for everyone. However, I suppose they don't really care because they're living life how they want anyways, so what difference does it make to them? Especially if you're in an area that isn't heavily locked down. So in turn they just sit back and laugh at us "rule followers".
This exactly. Toronto for example has been shuttered and shut down for a year really with no reprieve other areas got. If I lived right in Toronto and everything was closed around me would I not drive half an hour to the open outlets in Halton Hills? I mean it’s hard to say! My friend who lives in TO took her toddler to get his hair cut in Milton because it was so bad and their salons never opened. She was not comfortable cutting his hair. The way the lockdowns were managed in the GTA was just not working.
I do agree that those that break the rules make it worse in the end, but let’s face it. It’s mostly about the vaccine and that is NOT Canadian’s fault. Well it is but those in charge.

So tired and sad for my kids. Yesterday was a beautiful day in Southwest Ontario and we were in the backyard with just our family. Behind me, my neighbours had a bunch of kids over and out front was the typical gaggle of a dozen kids. It makes it so hard on the kids doing the right thing as very few seem to care. I loved this house for all the neighbourhood kids now I kind of hate it. My boys are missing friends and sports and normal life. I'm not sure how long we can last like this and not create real damage to their mental health. This needs to end. :(

I really find it depends on the day for me. I spend a lot of time outdoors for my job and there is never an end to housework and home maintenance jobs to do.. staying busy is not an issue. I’ve been fortunate to continue working throughout.

Last time I saw my parents in person was January when they stood outside for my birthday. That should change now that the weather is nicer but I sure miss family Sunday dinners. All my nieces and nephews are a year older and Zoom calls aren’t the same as hugging a little person . I used to get through rough days by dreaming of vacation but that small coping mechanism is on hold. I miss people and places and choices . I think I’m lonely in a way.
I think the title says it all .. it’s fatigue. This has been a long time to be worried and stressed and anxious. I just want to see that finish line . Some days it feels closer than others .

So tired and sad for my kids. Yesterday was a beautiful day in Southwest Ontario and we were in the backyard with just our family. Behind me, my neighbours had a bunch of kids over and out front was the typical gaggle of a dozen kids. It makes it so hard on the kids doing the right thing as very few seem to care. I loved this house for all the neighbourhood kids now I kind of hate it. My boys are missing friends and sports and normal life. I'm not sure how long we can last like this and not create real damage to their mental health. This needs to end. :(
Omg maybe you live in our neighborhood. Friday people behind us had a fire and for sure more than just their kids jumping in a trampoline and yesterday people next door to them had several people and kids over, loud, having fun... socializing parents drinking wine in their gazebo. I don’t care what they do but it is hard to explain to your own kids if you are adhering to own household only rules.
I’m counting down to June. We can do it!
I feel like if there is another lockdown after this people just won’t go for it anymore. I really believe the government knows this.... and hence speeding things up now.

Sounds similar to my neighbourhood. Yesterday kids were out and about playing together, neighbours had people over. My kids are older so they don’t even want to come out of their rooms and go for a walk anymore. Forget about sitting in the backyard, lol.

I feel the worst for my kids. I’m not so worried as an adult. We follow all the rules, yet my teens are constantly telling me their friends hang out together inside each other’s homes, or have their relatives over for family gatherings. And why can’t we do the same if everyone is doing it. I’m annoyed at these parents that we thought we knew well and were friendly with, now it seems like we are the outcasts. I worry that soon my kids won’t have these friendships should things ever return back to normal again, since they have basically been “left out” for over a year now.

Omg maybe you live in our neighborhood. Friday people behind us had a fire and for sure more than just their kids jumping in a trampoline and yesterday people next door to them had several people and kids over, loud, having fun... socializing parents drinking wine in their gazebo. I don’t care what they do but it is hard to explain to your own kids if you are adhering to own household only rules.
I’m counting down to June. We can do it!
I feel like if there is another lockdown after this people just won’t go for it anymore. I really believe the government knows this.... and hence speeding things up now.
Maybe you do! I'm in St. Thomas. The kids behind me were jumping on a trampoline as well.
Lots of street and backyard gatherings too.

A friend of mine has struggled badly with one of her son's especially. My friend has heart defects and her husband has an autoimmune disease and is on suppressants. Needless to say, they're very high risk. So they have had to take very strict precautions - no going anywhere basically, no playdates with friends, no activities etc....

Their problem is, here (NB), activities are still going and under current restrictions they ARE allowed to see a few friends. But the parents have had to make the hard choice not to allow that for their own health reasons. One of their kids could care less, but the other has struggled badly - meltdowns, crying etc... at not being able to see his friends. It has added a whole new level of guilt and stress for her, having to be the one to make that decision, versus, it just wasn't allowed.

Update: Last night my friends Mother passed away from Covid. Heartbroken for her. Her first vaccine was done, but she clearly needed the second 😢

So sad. How long ago did she get her first? I think this is everyone's fear about spacing out the vaccines so far - it will only increase the likelihood of these cases. Is the J&J even available here?

Some promising information from recent Ontario covid reports....

The past several weeks have shown minimal cases in long term care. In the past week there have been 12 cases in residents. Let's compare that to a week in December where there were 327 cases in long term care and a week in January where there were 960. This is a major difference and a really promising outlook.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter