Could disney ever connect all parks to skyliner? at what cost

How is an outside company going to run a system with no income at a profit?

Charge. They could easily charge. They could vary the rates from $2 during slow periods to $25 during periods of heavy demand in order to minimize crowding. Virgin Trains Florida is financing a rail line between Miami and Orlando. Not sure why another company couldn't do the same at Disneyworld.

..., and have there been any capacity issues with Riviera? That wasn't open when I was there and on the system.

Not really. I've been at Riviera all week and not experienced much in the way of issues. Both CBR and Epcot stations leave every 4th or 5th cabin empty. Riviera station CMs monitor the queues both directions and are in direct contact with both Epcot and CBR stations. If a queue starts to build, Riviera asks the appropriate station to send additional empty gondolas. It seems to work. The worst buildup is right at Epcot opening. Took about 20 minutes to get through that queue.

Steve

Charge. They could easily charge. They could vary the rates from $2 during slow periods to $25 during periods of heavy demand in order to minimize crowding. Virgin Trains Florida is financing a rail line between Miami and Orlando. Not sure why another company couldn't do the same at Disneyworld.
It's Brightline. The Virgin connection has been terminated.

But that's a special case. Their business model is to make their profit on real estate development around the stations.

Financing has been by sales of bonds, which are tax-exempt because they're building transportation infrastructure. I think an outside company would have a tough time selling bonds to build a local transit system at WDW, and I don't know whether they would qualify for tax-exempt bonds with the system being entirely located within private property.

Charge. They could easily charge. They could vary the rates from $2 during slow periods to $25 during periods of heavy demand in order to minimize crowding.
Disney does technically charge for their transportation. Disney Transportation is technically a separate company from the resorts and runs the boats, monorails, skyliner and parking lot trams. The money for them is taken out of fees applied to the resorts and from ticket and parking sales. For example when the skyline opened the cost for Pop Century and Art of animation went up higher then the other three valus resorts because they still have bus service to all of the rersorts.

If I'm paying out of pocket, say $5pp to take a train to a park, and then back again. That means my family of four is paying $40/day in transportation costs, that isn't going to happen. Especially if I'm paying $15 a night to park at the resort and includes parking at each park. That is the opposite of what Disney wants to happen with on property guests.

... extend from International Gateway to Animal Kingdom ...
This would not help Pop Century et al. although it could benefit Beach Club et al. From Caribbean Beach to Epcot suffers long waits even without carrying the AK guests. Not to mention the Pop Century and Art of Animation to CBR link.
... If a queue starts to build, Riviera asks the appropriate station to send additional empty gondolas. It seems to work. The worst buildup is right at Epcot opening. Took about 20 minutes to get through that queue.
Charge. They could easily charge. They could vary the rates from $2 during slow periods to $25 during periods of heavy demand in order to minimize crowding.
What else could Disney do to flatten the curve, namely get guests to spontaneously spread out ridership to reduce the rush hour effect? (copied from another forum) How about benefits to offset the urge to rope drop? Make it easier for late arrivals to get more things done. If you tap in (with your Magic Band) at your resort, say after 10, and you had not entered a theme park, then you got two extra anytime fastpasses (maybe require that you use them before 1).

Another philosophical question. For many years now, a strategy for getting more done was to get there earlier. How early would the park have to open if Disney tried to eliminate the rope drop rush simply by opening sooner. Or for that matter how late would park closing have to be delayed as a strategy to eliminate the park closing rush hour.

Tapping in at a resort can be used for other purposes such as parking rules enforcement, but that is another program.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly I believe there were some tentative plans leaked for a line to AK? Could be mistaken though as it was awhile ago that I read it!

Disney Transportation is technically a separate company from the resorts and runs the boats, monorails, skyliner and parking lot trams.
Don't think so. It wasn't when I was driving 6 years ago. We were part of Disney Parks & Resorts. The names may have changed, but AFAIK Transportation is still not a separate company.

I was a separate division, with it's own VP. And it was a separate cost center on the budget.

You are correct that, Transportation being a cost center, funds are taken from the Resorts' profits.

Last edited:
Don't think so. It wasn't when I was driving 6 years ago. We were part of Disney Parks & Resorts. The names may have changed, but AFAIK Transportation is still not a separate company.

I was a separate division, with it's own VP. And it was a separate cost center on the budget.

You are correct that, Transportation being a cost center, funds are taken from the Resorts' profits.
As I said it is technically as its more for accounting perposes rather then as an actual buness

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter