Costco booking question

elle21

Mouseketeer
I recently booked our first cruise and our PIF date was perfectly timed with my husband's bonus. The plan is to pay the entire cruise on that date. I just switched over to Costco today and they informed me that the PIF date is two weeks earlier...before we have the cash now.
Can I cancel with Costco and switch back to Disney? Can I move my reservation to a later cruise so my PIF date is later? Or do I need to just put it on a credit card initially?

Costco's PIF is two weeks early, however they are flexible with that date. They don't want the hassle of having to cancel for non payment. Your options are:

* Pay in full by Costco's date
* Call Costco and ask for an extension (this may only buy you a few days)
* Move your reservation but rates may go up
* Convince Costco to return the reservation back to Disney (easier if within the first 30 days of booking)
* Cancel your Costco reservation and start a new one

Remember that Costco has a considerable Costco Cash Card attached to DCL cruises, and most stores will allow you to cash that in. Also, executive members get 2% back.

I agree Costco is somewhat flexible with its PIF date (I have asked & granted an extension before). However, I am not sure whether it's willing to extend 2 weeks to match DCL's deadline (otherwise, why set an earlier date). Your best bet is probably call Costco Travel, ask for a supervisor, and explain your situation. It likely depends on how much that bonus will be (hence your balance at the time of Costco's PIF date) & how much extra time you will need.

LAX

Thanks for the quick replies...so should I ask for an extension now? or wait until we are nearing the PIF date? We would need an extra week. And the cruise cost is $12k, as is the bonus, so a big chunk of change...

Thanks for the quick replies...so should I ask for an extension now? or wait until we are nearing the PIF date? We would need an extra week. And the cruise cost is $12k, as is the bonus, so a big chunk of change...
Call sooner rather than later. This way you have time to make whatever plans you need (

For your situation, you might consider getting a Chase Disney visa card. Visa can be used at Costco. They often have a special where they do a credit to your account if you spend a certain amount within the first few months of having the card. You would also get a significant rewards benefit from Chase on a $12,000 cruise bill. Those rewards can be used on the cruise. I believe it’s currently 2% of everything that you spend that is Disney related. That would get you $240 in rewards that you can use on the cruise. This is in addition to the Costco Cash card.

I recommend putting it on a few credit cards (2 or 3 is preferable to maxing one out), then paying them off the day your husband gets the money. Two weeks isn't enough time for interest to accrue.

I would get a Costco visa. They give you an extra 3% of the cruise cost if you use it to pay off your cruise. That is $360 extra dollars.

Also, if you upgrade to the executive membership at Costco, you will get 2% back at the end of your use year. That is an extra $240.

This is all extra to the Costco cash you get at the end of your cruise :)

I would definitely stay with Costco, and just pay earlier using a credit card. The perks are just too great to leave Costco!

How do you pay for a cruise if you don't use a credit card? I have never considered another option! I also want to add that Costco did grant me an extension which I wanted so that the payment would better fit my cc's billing cycle. They were really easy to deal with.

For your situation, you might consider getting a Chase Disney visa card.

As an FYI to the OP, since I don’t know their circumstances, the chase cards aren’t easy to get. You have to have rather good credit.

During the time in my life when we were waiting for a bonus to come in to pay the cruise, I might not be (and I’m speaking from experience here, as in my own life) in a credit-score position to get that card. Just want to make sure you know that.

My then-husband got his feelings all hurt and also dropped his credit score by making an executive decision to apply, and of course was denied for it, despite me telling him that it’s not an easy card to get and asking him to not apply.

A debit card.

Not everyone has high balance credit cards or credit cards at all.

Totally understandable (and wasn't meant to be snarky, was genuinely unaware)

I always get the feeling that debit cards are more widely used in the US than in Canada, but maybe I just don't really use my debit card enough.

In fact I'm pretty sure Costco Travel Canada only allows Visa or Mastercard.

How do you pay for a cruise if you don't use a credit card? I have never considered another option! I also want to add that Costco did grant me an extension which I wanted so that the payment would better fit my cc's billing cycle. They were really easy to deal with.
Good to know...thank you...hopefully they will be a little flexible. We would use a debit visa card - basically using cash for the cruise.

Totally understandable (and wasn't meant to be snarky, was genuinely unaware)

I always get the feeling that debit cards are more widely used in the US than in Canada, but maybe I just don't really use my debit card enough.

In fact I'm pretty sure Costco Travel Canada only allows Visa or Mastercard.

Most, if not all, debit cards are either Visa or MC. The only difference is the fund comes straight out from the linked bank account.

LAX

FYI - Costco would never cancel your cruise - only the vendor for non payment by their pay in full date. I worked as a travel agent and know that for sure. I’ve also booked numerous cruises with Costco and never had an issue with paying according to the vendor date.

As an FYI to the OP, since I don’t know their circumstances, the chase cards aren’t easy to get. You have to have rather good credit.

During the time in my life when we were waiting for a bonus to come in to pay the cruise, I might not be (and I’m speaking from experience here, as in my own life) in a credit-score position to get that card. Just want to make sure you know that.

My then-husband got his feelings all hurt and also dropped his credit score by making an executive decision to apply, and of course was denied for it, despite me telling him that it’s not an easy card to get and asking him to not apply.

We do have excellent credit, but my husband does not like to open random credit cards for one time discounts/perks. We also don't want to go on a cruise unless we can pay cash for it.

I would get a Costco visa. They give you an extra 3% of the cruise cost if you use it to pay off your cruise. That is $360 extra dollars.

Also, if you upgrade to the executive membership at Costco, you will get 2% back at the end of your use year. That is an extra $240.

This is all extra to the Costco cash you get at the end of your cruise :)

I would definitely stay with Costco, and just pay earlier using a credit card. The perks are just too great to leave Costco!

We have the executive membership! Great to know we'll get even more back. We have a large family, and shop at Costco regularly...so the cash cards are why we decided to switch over. :)

We do have excellent credit, but my husband does not like to open random credit cards for one time discounts/perks. We also don't want to go on a cruise unless we can pay cash for it.

Not trying to convince you to apply, but if you think your family might cruise DCL again or visit WDW/DL in the future, the perks you get won't necessarily be one-time (perks do change over time, though). Plus, as long as you have the cash to pay off the balance in full on whatever you end up charging, you don't have to worry about interest charges. However, you do have to be disciplined enough not to charge for things you don't have the cash to cover when the statement arrives. Plus, you have to remember to pay on time to avoid fees. In general, as long as you pay off the balance, all credit cards perks/discounts are essentially freebies that help stretch your vacation dollars further.

LAX

Yeah, I think we really don't bother with debit unless it's the only thing accepted, and we just pay off the cc in full every month. It's nice to accumulate rewards too, but I get that not everyone wants to do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter