• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronado Springs expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they would have a hard time filling those rooms at deluxe pricing.

Keep in mind CSR already has Deluxe amenities at Mod pricing, so this isn't something new. The new part is the luxury tower.

Coronado was built as a convention center and has junior suites and a spa because of it...nothing more or less.

If these filings are taken at face value...there's gonna be some kind of mini boardwalk tower type thing built for entertainment at Caribbean. That will be full access and the old rooms will be priced accordingly. A pool and a rooftop lounge isn't going to take this where it has to go. And those old rooms are earmarked for higher prices.

Coronado was built as a convention center and has junior suites and a spa because of it...nothing more or less.
Yep, and thats one of the big reasons they are doing this. Convention clientele hated being so spread out. They wanted their rooms to be closer together and closer to convention space.

This is one of the things I'm really having trouble wrapping my head around. If there are no mods available, I go off site because I can't stand the values. However, I mainly look at Mods because I'm not going to spend the money on a deluxe unless there is a super deal going on. That said, the mods that are ALWAYS available at the cheapest rates are Coronado and Caribbean. Throwing a couple big towers and maybe non-bus access does is not going to change the availability if they are going to significantly increase the price. Heck, renovating the rooms isn't going to do that much. As you said, most people aren't going there because they can afford a deluxe but prefer the mods. And I believe the current mods are something like 40-100 square feet less than current mods, which won't help their cause.
I have made similar comments in other threads but they need to get the quality of their rooms up to a standard at least comparable to a Hampton. The current mods and values were built to compete with the cheap off-site hotels/motels. With so many better cheaper options now in DS and elsewhere they need to up their game if they are going to continue to charge a premium.

As I've said before, give me a balcony with a view and a decent chair to sit in and I'm back on property.

Well, let's see. We build a new competition arena and expand hotel rooms at CSR. I'm betting another DVC at the Contemporary, getting rid of the convention center there.

I'm gonna go far left field and say DVC at Fort Wilderness. Just because they can.

While it might seem reasonable to compare Disney's Coronado Spring Resort with the other moderate properties, the presence of the convention center completely changes the analysis. I spent many years working in hotel revenue management. For those unfamiliar, a Revenue Manager is a person who tries to maximize hotel revenue through rate and stay restrictions. That person also helps determines rates for groups.

Conventions can be a huge source of profit for hotels. For example, a single catered meal for 500 people can be over $10k. (500 people times $25/person equals $12,500) So, the bill for a multi-day convention with catering, meeting room rental, and audio-visual/technical support can easily reach over $100k. And that's without adding any special events like receptions at Epcot to view Illuminations.

From experience, I know that any group spending tens of thousands on meetings/catering isn't going to be charged full price on guest rooms. So, the discussion about whether Disney will be able to fill this new tower at "deluxe prices" isn't very relevant. They really don't need to in order to make this work. To make money, they just need a steady stream of group business.

Additionally, if you anticipate that most of the people using these tower rooms are conventioneers, you don't need to build extra leisure amenities like pools with slides. They won't use the pool; but they will use the new restaurant and lounge.

I'd bet that Disney's Coronado Springs Resort is falling short in terms of their competition. Exterior entry guest rooms spread out across a large area aren't going to be as attractive to meeting planners as a more modern facility with everything under one roof. With this expansion, Disney is probably hoping to steal groups from places like Gaylord Palms and Marriott World Center. And, they will undoubtedly try to lure groups from other regional conference centers across the Southeast.

Managed and sold correctly, this new tower and convention center expansion is likely to be very profitable.

If these filings are taken at face value...there's gonna be some kind of mini boardwalk tower type thing built for entertainment at Caribbean. That will be full access and the old rooms will be priced accordingly. A pool and a rooftop lounge isn't going to take this where it has to go. And those old rooms are earmarked for higher prices.

Yes....but why can't the current spread out rooms that will be a 10 min walk from the tower be Mod priced?

You don't need to explain CSR to me I've spent 75 plus nights there since 2010. It's our go to resort. How this all plays out will have a serious impact on how much time we spend at WDW over the next 10 years.

While it might seem reasonable to compare Disney's Coronado Spring Resort with the other moderate properties, the presence of the convention center completely changes the analysis. I spent many years working in hotel revenue management. For those unfamiliar, a Revenue Manager is a person who tries to maximize hotel revenue through rate and stay restrictions. That person also helps determines rates for groups.

Conventions can be a huge source of profit for hotels. For example, a single catered meal for 500 people can be over $10k. (500 people times $25/person equals $12,500) So, the bill for a multi-day convention with catering, meeting room rental, and audio-visual/technical support can easily reach over $100k. And that's without adding any special events like receptions at Epcot to view Illuminations.

From experience, I know that any group spending tens of thousands on meetings/catering isn't going to be charged full price on guest rooms. So, the discussion about whether Disney will be able to fill this new tower at "deluxe prices" isn't very relevant. They really don't need to in order to make this work. To make money, they just need a steady stream of group business.

Additionally, if you anticipate that most of the people using these tower rooms are conventioneers, you don't need to build extra leisure amenities like pools with slides. They won't use the pool; but they will use the new restaurant and lounge.

I'd bet that Disney's Coronado Springs Resort is falling short in terms of their competition. Exterior entry guest rooms spread out across a large area aren't going to be as attractive to meeting planners as a more modern facility with everything under one roof. With this expansion, Disney is probably hoping to steal groups from places like Gaylord Palms and Marriott World Center. And, they will undoubtedly try to lure groups from other regional conference centers across the Southeast.

Managed and sold correctly, this new tower and convention center expansion is likely to be very profitable.

This is why CSR gets ripped on Tripadvisor sometimes. Convention guests expect the Four Seasons not Carribean Beach resort.

This is why CSR gets ripped on Tripadvisor sometimes. Convention guests expect the Four Seasons not Carribean Beach resort.

Which brings us back to this being about competing with the Swalphin for quality of convention they can land and what services they can sell to a lawyer convention versus cheerleading coaches.

Yes....but why can't the current spread out rooms that will be a 10 min walk from the tower be Mod priced?

You don't need to explain CSR to me I've spent 75 plus nights there since 2010. It's our go to resort. How this all plays out will have a serious impact on how much time we spend at WDW over the next 10 years.

Then you should know how and why it was built...because I do. A cheaper convention option.

And you are right it's gonna have a serious impact on you: your prices will be higher. This is the end of the moderate.

It would be nice to think that a 10 minute walk from new facilities will result in $100+ in reduced room chargers at Caribbean...but that isn't gonna happen. They will be increased to meet.

Then you should know how and why it was built...because I do. A cheaper convention option.

And you are right it's gonna have a serious impact on you: your prices will be higher. This is the end of the moderate.

It would be nice to think that a 10 minute walk from new facilities will result in $100+ in reduced room chargers at Caribbean...but that isn't gonna happen. They will be increased to meet.

If that ends up being true they better fill the place with conventioneers because I doubt people will pay Deluxe prices for a 314 sq ft room in Ranchos 6 with no balcony, outdoor hallways, and a 10 min walk to the food court.

I'll wait and see how this plays out before I get bent out of shape. Bottom line is WDW needs to have a Mod resort with a fitness center if they want my vacation money. Universal resorts are putting Disney to shame right now.

If that ends up being true they better fill the place with conventioneers because I doubt people will pay Deluxe prices for a 314 sq ft room in Ranchos 6 with no balcony, outdoor hallways, and a 10 min walk to the food court.

I'll wait and see how this plays out before I get bent out of shape. Bottom line is WDW needs to have a Mod resort with a fitness center if they want my vacation money. Universal resorts are putting Disney to shame right now.

If the current projects point to where they seem to at Caribbean and Coronado...then that is exactly what they are going away from.

The moderate price level seems to be going away. If this works port is right behind because it is tied to two $350 a night DVC's already...

They don't seem to want that price for those places now...then the values become the moderates as you know them.

This is all fluid...we'll see. There is no way they build new amenities and don't charge the existing rooms for them...that isn't what they do.

WDW is the biggest cash cow to try and offset leaky espn. I can't state that more clearly...and the Star Wars franchise. Here two of them are crossing streams.

So let it be written...so let it be done.

This Coronado move could even be in part to allow the destruction for the convention center at contemporary...gee, wonder what they could build there?

Rumors have been circulating for awhile about building another tower at the contemporary, it's supposedly going to built on a parcel next to BLT, sort of behind Space Mountain.
Time will tell.

I really don't see PO getting a price increase - not yet at least. They aren't getting any of the upgrades and updates that CSR and CBR are getting and rumored to get with these additions. Disney can't feasibly increase the price at the resort without offering some sort of additional perks, at least not without backlash.

A rising tide floats all boats.

If prices go up elsewhere it's easy to raise prices at POR, just not by as much.

Rumors have been circulating for awhile about building another tower at the contemporary, it's supposedly going to built on a parcel next to BLT, sort of behind Space Mountain.
Time will tell.
Most rumors have said it will go where the garden rooms are or convention center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter