Coronado beach closed for summer?

westie55

DIS Veteran
I just saw a news article aboutCoronado and Imperial beaches being closed due to unsafe swimming conditions resulting from sewage from Tijuana.

Is Coronado beach still closed? Is it expected to be closed for the summer? We were planning to go to Hotel Del Coronado after our trip to DL in August. We are east coast residents. Going to the Del won’t be worth the price to us with no beach— at least I don’t think so.

Are there alternative resort type high end, family friendly hotels that would make a good alternative where the water is safe?

If any locals have any intel, please advise. Thanks!

It’s currently open but it can still close periodically during the summer so can use this site to check:

SD County Beach Advisories

I can’t think of too many resort style hotels that close to the beach. There are some resort hotels around North County like The Lodge at Torrey Pines, Omni La Costa, and Alila but only Alila is beach walkable.Those beaches are usually okay since they are far enough from the border.

There is no way to know if the beach will be open when you go. They test everyday so conditions can change even during your trip.

You'd need to head to a beach north of La Jolla to truly be out of the impact zone. There really aren't many beach resorts until you get up closer to Carlsbad.

Were you ONLY going to San Diego for the beach? Or do you have other plans there. If you just want a nice, clean beach, stay in OC and visit Newport Beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter