Cookies from cake mixes! Also: BISCOTTI, BARS, CUPS & POPS

:jumping3: Bumping! The weather's getting cooler again. Kids are back in school. Bake sales are starting. Holiday plans are in the making.
1_4_7.gif
It's time to turn ovens back on & fill the house with the scent of fresh baked cookies. Yum! :teeth:

Here's a simple cookie, only 2 ingredients! (No need to add the oil & eggs listed in the first post.) Although I think I'd add some dried cranberries & walnuts or white chocolate chips. Maybe top with a cream cheese frosting. :)

Pumpkin Spice Cookie

1 (18.25 ounce) package spice cake mix
1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix and pumpkin until well blended. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

These would go great with a warm apple cider. :love:

For a variations:

If you prefer the taste and texture of gingerbread to fluffy cake-like cookies, use a box of gingerbread mix, plus half of a 15-oz can of pumpkin. It comes out as soft, dense, moist, spicy cookies. Make sure you grease the cookie sheet, though, because the lack of added oil makes them stick.

Another variation: Use a Chocolate cake mix instead of the spice cake mix. Doesn't taste as pumpkin-y.

For Pumpkin Spice muffins: add 1/3 cup water to the 2 ingredients above. Add in 1/4-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice for extra pumpkin-y flavor. For Pumpkin Chocolate muffins use a chocolate cake mix (and leave out the pumpkin pie spice.)

I've got a packet of Betty Crocker carrot cake needs using - after I got it everyone announced they don't like carrot cake :headache: so I need to disguise it Mwah-ha-haaaaaa.;)

So anyone have a good recipe for it?

I've got a packet of Betty Crocker carrot cake needs using - after I got it everyone announced they don't like carrot cake :headache: so I need to disguise it Mwah-ha-haaaaaa.;)

So anyone have a good recipe for it?

Maybe you can add the can of pumpkin puree from the recipe above? It might disguise the taste enough. Also, instead of a cream cheese frosting, use whipped cream & just have them dunk the cookies in it. It may be more like a crunchy pumpkin pie cookie. Add a sprinkling of ginger & cinnamon to the mix. They're pretty strong flavors. :)

We don't have pumpkin puree over here, and none of us are big on whipped cream (except DH) :sad2: Cinnamon sounds good except DS(14) won't touch :headache:

Where does that leave me :confused3

I thought it was time this made it back to the top, especially as I've finally got round to trying this :woohoo:
I had a Betty Crocker carrot cake mix which needed using up, so I mixed it according to the first post and hurled in a load of chocolate chips:goodvibes

we just ate them as they came (they took longer to bake, probably because we were waiting!) without frosting. What was really surprising was that DS(8) absolutely adored them, but DS(14) and DH found them a bit strongly flavoured :confused3 I liked them, but tried not to eat too many:rolleyes1

But it really was very easy and quick, just a pity I waited until we'd got back from the school bazaar to try it - next time I'll make loads for the cookie stall :thumbsup2

Any new favourites I should try? (remembering our very limited range available:headache: )

Glad to see this bumped up on the board again. Going to make a batch today with the kids. This is the easiest and best way to make cookies!

:jumping3: Bumping! The weather's getting cooler again. Kids are back in school. Bake sales are starting. Holiday plans are in the making.
1_4_7.gif
It's time to turn ovens back on & fill the house with the scent of fresh baked cookies. Yum! :teeth:

Here's a simple cookie, only 2 ingredients! Although I think I'd add some cinnamon, walnuts or white chocolate chips. Maybe top with a cream cheese frosting. :)

Pumpkin Spice Cookie

1 (18.25 ounce) package spice cake mix
1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin puree

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix and pumpkin until well blended. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

These would go great with a warm apple cider. :love:

Oh my goodness. This sounds so good! And so many others to try! :) :goodvibes

Thanks for the great thread, OP! I used a couple of the recipes last year and they were a hit! :) Glad to see this thread again!

Yum! These turned out soooo good. DS and I made chocolate and flattened them a little with a spoon. We put creamy peanut butter in a ziploc and cut a little hole in it and piped some peanut butter on top before baking.

mmmmmm that sounds goood! Did the PB mix in a bit as it cooked or sit on top?

The peanut butter stayed on top in a little lump. It melted a little bit while it was baking, but they were delicious. DS had some friends over last night and the cookies are all gone!

Biscotti from cake mix!!!

close20up20number202.jpg

I found a recipe that starts with cake mix. Like the cookies, again you can mix and match with the cake mix and the add ins, chocolate mix with walnuts, etc. The possibilities are endless! (Some variations below. :thumbsup2 )

Biscotti *with variations*

1 box dry cake mix (your choice of flavor)
1 cup all purpose flour
2 large eggs
1 stick melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (OR substitute about ½ - 1 teaspoon of a flavored extract, optional)
(Optional) Add ¾ cup total of: chopped nuts, fruit or chocolate pieces, etc.

Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Pour your cake mix and flour into the bowl. Add the eggs, butter and vanilla. Mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in nuts, fruit or chocolate if desired. This dough will be very stiff but will not stick to the bowl when properly mixed.

The consistency will be like children’s play dough. Divide dough into two halves. With your hands, shape each half of dough into an 8-inch log. Place each log on a lined baking sheet and flatten them into rectangular loaves about 2 1/2 inches wide. The loaves need to be 2 to 3 inches apart on the pan.

Place the pan in the oven. Bake until the biscotti loaves are almost done but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes. (Picture 1.) Make sure you watch the baking time because, if you don't, they can get dry and hard to cut if you let them bake the first time too long. It’s the second baking that will make them crunchy.

Remove the pan from the oven and let the loaves cool on the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer them with a metal spatula to a cutting board and cut with a bread knife into 3/4-inch slices. (Picture 2.)
TIP: To cut, use the longest chef knife you have and put the tip in one side and press down swiftly (keeping all fingers in sight!) and it should work. Also try warming the knife before cutting.

Turn the slices cut side down on the baking pan and return the pan to the oven to bake 8 to 10 minutes longer, or until crisp. (Picture 3.)

Remove the pan from the oven, and transfer the biscotti to wire racks to cool, 20 minutes.

You may serve them as is, or dust them with confectioners' sugar (place the sugar in a large zipper-lock bag, add a few biscotti at a time, shake, then remove). Or you may dip an end of each biscotti into melted chocolate, or drizzle melted chocolate over the tops of biscotti. (Picture 4 & 5.)

Makes 3 to 4 dozen. Store cooled cookies in an airtight container.

*Variations:
Chocolate cake mix with pistachio nuts
Chocolate mix with macadamia nuts
Chocolate mix with pistachios with white chocolate chips or melted & dipped in
Chocolate Fudge Cake mix with macadamia nuts
Chocolate mix with 1 teaspoon almond extract and chopped almonds
Yellow cake mix with ½ teaspoon anise extract and sliced almonds or pecans
Yellow Cake mix with 1 Tbs grated orange peel, dried cranberries and pistachio nuts
Yellow Cake mix with 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon & hazelnuts
Yellow Cake mix with dried red and green cherries, anise extract, and pecans
Red Velvet Cake mix with white chocolate chips
Lemon cake mix with 1 Tbs grated lemon peel & slivered almonds
Lemon cake mix with pecans
Orange cake mix with 1 Tbs grated orange peel, dried cranberries and macadamia or pistachios
Orange cake mix with dried cranberries, dried cherries and white chocolate chips
Spice Cake mix with filberts/hazelnuts
Butter Pecan Cake mix with pecans
Cinnamon Swirl Cake mix with cinnamon chips
Strawberry cake mix with almonds and dipped in white chocolate

:cool1:

Pic 1
once20baked20biscotti.jpg
Pic 2
slicing20biscotti.jpg

Pic 3
sliced20biscotti.jpg

Pic 4
mo0810_ice_cream2_e.jpg
Pic 5
27198.jpg
biscotti03a1-1.jpg

:)

:banana: OOH I am so excited to try the biscotti!! And those chocolate peanut butter ones are getting made today! Thanks for the recipes. I went to a Pampered chef party a few years back that did cookies from cake mix and I loved them all.
I have to bake 5 dozen for church this week so maybe one of these will work(I hope the biscotti are good that would be a nice easy one!)

Subbing...I am not much of a baker but would like to try some of these this year. That biscotti looks great!

Thanks all!

Yum Yum - I bought chocolate cake mix and peanut butter chips last night at the store after finding this thread. I usually make these chocolate peanut butter cookies that are a PITA and this method sounds much better!

I made some tonight with Chocolate Devils Food Cake and WOW they were good...

Can someone please post the recipe for the Red Velvet with the cream cheese filling.. I need something for a cookie exchange at church in two weeks and this sounds so so good.. Thanks

Can someone please post the recipe for the Red Velvet with the cream cheese filling.. I need something for a cookie exchange at church in two weeks and this sounds so so good.. Thanks
Try making a Red Velvet cookie with white chocolate chips & sandwich a can of cream cheese frosting in between, which PhotobearSam did below. :cool1:

I just made a batch of "Carrot" cake mix cookies and I made sandwiches out of them with cream cheese icing between 2 cookies. My DH said to forget all other types as this is the best...:thumbsup2

Or there is this recipe below that I hadn't gotten around to posting yet. Just substitute the yellow cake mix with a Red Velvet cake mix. Top with a cream cheese or chocolate frosting (instead of the sprinkles.) Yum! :dance3:

Cream Cheese Cookies
A traditional Christmas favorite, going on 25 years now.

1 yellow cake mix
1 egg
1 stick of butter
8 oz cream cheese

Mix thoroughly and place spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with red or green sugar sprinkles and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until very lightly browned. That's it. Enjoy!

:cool1:

Here is a White Chocolate Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor that goes great with Red Velvet.

White Chocolate Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting

Makes 3 cups, enough to frost 24 cupcakes (2 1/2 inch size) generously
Preparation Time: 10 minutes

6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 ounces (half an 8-ounce package) reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 to 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

1. Place the white chocolate in a small glass bowl in the microwave oven on high power for 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the oven and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until it is smooth. Set the chocolate aside to cool.

2. Place the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined, 30 seconds. Stop the machine. Add the melted white chocolate and blend on low speed until just combined, 30 seconds. Add the peppermint extract and 2 cups of the confectioners' sugar and blend on low until the sugar is incorporated, 30 seconds more. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until the frosting is fluffy, 1 minute more, adding up to 1/2 cup more sugar if needed to make a spreadable consistency.

Feel free to fold in up to 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy for a crunchy and creamy frosting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter