Construction issues at the Grand Floridian

am I the only one getting serious Riviera Resort vibes, in the best way possible, when looking at the GFV renovation project photos?
No, you're not the only one. I personally believe the RIV was designed to be the Epcot-area GF, with its decor emulating the elegance and high-end finishes of the Grand, which was built to be Disney's flagship resort at WDW. I'm looking forward to visiting the models next time we're there, but I've given up my idea of staying there. DH and I prefer a couch that faces the TV (a Murphy bed/couch is fine) and a full kitchen, and when I thought it over I realized I was looking forward to sitting on my Boardwalk-view 1 BR balcony too much to give up even two or three mornings of it!

The DVC villas in BPK open June 20, at which time the entire building should be open. However, at this time only half of the rooms have been declared into the condominium association, which means DVC owners can book only half the rooms on any given day. The other half belong to Disney to rent for cash through the normal GF booking system. As DVC sales continue, more rooms will be declared into the condominium, removing them from GF cash and making them available for points booking - although Disney can rent some of them for cash, too!

Playing around with Disney booking.. yepp. The BPK Resort Studios are showing available to book now for nights starting June 20th. All three Resort Studio views are available for the first three nights of booking!.. and the Lagoon and Theme Park views are available every night June 20-June 30th (Standard (Garden) view room is sold out most nights starting Thursday June 23rd.

... too bad my 25% AP Discount doesn't apply since it's part of GFV and not the Resort side. 😢

Still. Tempting for a chance to be the first to experience! 😏

1653078804678.png

Playing around with Disney booking.. yepp. The BPK Resort Studios are showing available to book now for nights starting June 20th. All three Resort Studio views are available for the first three nights of booking!.. and the Lagoon and Theme Park views are available every night June 20-June 30th (Standard (Garden) view room is sold out most nights starting Thursday June 23rd.

... too bad my 25% AP Discount doesn't apply since it's part of GFV and not the Resort side. 😢
I think having it posted on the Disney Resort booking website means they are available on the Resort side. Currently, only half belong to DVC - the rest belong to the Resort itself. Of course, they simply might not include those rooms in the AP discount - that's their choice.

p.s. You may or may not be affected by the Poly 2 construction. Who knows when they will start break ground on that!

No, you're not the only one. I personally believe the RIV was designed to be the Epcot-area GF, with its decor emulating the elegance and high-end finishes of the Grand, which was built to be Disney's flagship resort at WDW. I'm looking forward to visiting the models next time we're there, but I've given up my idea of staying there.

That's a great analogy. We haven't stared at RIV yet. I feel like I have considered it a dozen times over the past few years, but always have a hard time justifying the price point and end up going with YC or BC for our Epcot area stays... BUT, if I look at it through that lens (the "Epcot-area GF") I may be able to talk myself into it next time around.

DH and I prefer a couch that faces the TV (a Murphy bed/couch is fine) and a full kitchen...

Huh. I just noticed that after you said it.. with the couch on the opposite wall. It's basically the same setup as the current GF resort rooms.

1653079436617.png

... I realized I was looking forward to sitting on my Boardwalk-view 1 BR balcony too much to give up even two or three mornings of it!

Well. Nothing beats people watching on Crescent Lake, so that's not much of a competition.. I would argue that my morning coffee overlooking Zebras and Giraffes graze on Sunset Savannah give you a run for your money, but I'll save that discussion for another day. DW's favorite resort area is Crescent Lake for sure.

It's basically the same setup as the current GF resort rooms.
Yes, that was exactly Disney's idea - all they had to do was update the decor a little bit - new wallcoverings, drapes, etc. - and voila! Brand new DVC studios that they could sell, so that now the VGF owners will pay for ALL of the upkeep on that building as the years go by. Off the Parks & Resorts budget, onto the DVC VGF Condominium Association budget!

I think having it posted on the Disney Resort booking website means they are available on the Resort side. Currently, only half belong to DVC - the rest belong to the Resort itself. Of course, they simply might not include those rooms in the AP discount - that's their choice.

There are Villas you can purchase direct through Disney, i.e., the ones they rent for cash, that qualify for the AP discount (and FL resident Discount, Disney+ subscriber discount, etc), but GFV is not one of them.. at least not at this time.

1653081092999.png

That's Disney though.. always thinking ahead. We received a comp'd future night stay on our last trip to YC in March that is valid for any DVC Studio.. but they excluded RIV and GFV, and now I know why they excluded GFV! That's fine though, I plan on using it at the Poly after the DVC soft refurb is 100% complete. 🤣

Last edited:

Well. Nothing beats people watching on Crescent Lake, so that's not much of a competition.. I would argue that my morning coffee overlooking Zebras and Giraffes graze on Sunset Savannah give you a run for your money, but I'll save that discussion for another day. DW's favorite resort area is Crescent Lake for sure.
Kidani 1BR savanna view balconies are my second favorite balconies at WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter