Considering buying BLT resale

senoragilbert

Mouseketeer
Hi, all! You are wonderful experts who have helped so many. I realize that no one can make my financial decisions for me, but I am hoping that you can help me with some of my burning questions. Let's start with some background:

My husband and I are 41. We have one son, 16.
Currently there is a "big" trip planned with DH's family of 15, using a 2BR and 2 studios at BLT in May/Jun 2021. Point rental is $8800 for that time period in 2020, for standard view.
We are considering a 160-point resale at BLT for around $145/pt. Banking+borrowing will give us what we need for that big trip, plus many more years to enjoy. The guaranteed "rental" of our 2020/21/22 points would pay the down payment plus the MF on those years.

Here are my questions:

1. How difficult is it to rent BLT points, from a renter perspective?
2. Conversely, if we would like to rent our points out from time to time, are BLT points in high demand?
3. We have never stayed at BLT. Is there something I should know before investing this kind of money there?

Thank you so very much for your time! I appreciate this thread after much lurking and learning!

Hi, all! You are wonderful experts who have helped so many. I realize that no one can make my financial decisions for me, but I am hoping that you can help me with some of my burning questions. Let's start with some background:

Currently there is a "big" trip planned with DH's family of 15, using a 2BR and 2 studios at BLT in May/Jun 2021. Point rental is $8800 for that time period in 2020, for standard view.
We are considering a 160-point resale at BLT for around $145/pt. Banking+borrowing will give us what we need for that big trip, plus many more years to enjoy. The guaranteed "rental" of our 2020/21/22 points would pay the down payment plus the MF on those years.

Here are my questions:

2. Conversely, if we would like to rent our points out from time to time, are BLT points in high demand?
3. We have never stayed at BLT. Is there something I should know before investing this kind of money there?

Thank you so very much for your time! I appreciate this thread after much lurking and learning!
If you are familiar with WDW and can use the internet, I don't believe it is necessary to stay there before buying. Watch room walk-through videos to get a feel for BLT (and other resorts).

We bought BLT and BCV prior to staying at either. No regrets. Had we waited to try each, our purchase process would've taken years longer, and we would've paid much more per point as prices keep creeping up.

However, if you are not familiar with WDW, then I would definitely visit first. (I am assuming you know the "lay of the land" at WDW, enjoy the Contemporary' styling, and want to be in the MK/monorail area.)

1. I think you'll be able to obtain the points required for your rental, but likely from 2 or 3 owners. You'll need to use a broker like David's to have any chance of success, as it's doubtful you'd be able to piece it together yourself at the 11 month mark. Don't count on standard view. As a renter, you're likely not going to be able to find owners who will go to the effort to obtain two standard studios and a 2 bedroom by walking the reservation. Plan on getting lake view, at the higher point requirement.

2. No problem whatsoever renting BLT points. The easy walk to MK makes BLT in high demand among families with small children.

3. The studios are smaller than other DVC resorts, and aren't ideally configured for more than 2 adults (although 4 can, in theory, stay there). The two bedroom units are available in two configurations. If you want two real beds in the second of the two bedroom unit, you want to specify that you want a "dedicated 2 bedroom", and not a "2 bedroom lock-off" (which is a one bedroom plus a studio).

By my calculation, by using 2 years of points, you're looking at around 250 points. At $145 a point, that's $36,500, a considerable premium over a lake view rental at around $9000.

If you are familiar with WDW and can use the internet, I don't believe it is necessary to stay there before buying.
Thanks for your input! We are definitely familiar, just haven't stayed there. I am now totally addicted to room tours, resort tours, and even "walk from (insert resort here) to (insert park here)" videos. There are probably rooms I'd prefer over BLT, but what a location!

1. I think you'll be able to obtain the points required for your rental, but likely from 2 or 3 owners. You'll need to use a broker like David's to have any chance of success, as it's doubtful you'd be able to piece it together yourself at the 11 month mark. Don't count on standard view. As a renter, you're likely not going to be able to find owners who will go to the effort to obtain two standard studios and a 2 bedroom by walking the reservation. Plan on getting lake view, at the higher point requirement.

2. No problem whatsoever renting BLT points. The easy walk to MK makes BLT in high demand among families with small children.

3. The studios are smaller than other DVC resorts, and aren't ideally configured for more than 2 adults (although 4 can, in theory, stay there). The two bedroom units are available in two configurations. If you want two real beds in the second of the two bedroom unit, you want to specify that you want a "dedicated 2 bedroom", and not a "2 bedroom lock-off" (which is a one bedroom plus a studio).

By my calculation, by using 2 years of points, you're looking at around 250 points. At $145 a point, that's $36,500, a considerable premium over a lake view rental at around $9000.

Thank you so much for this information. I really appreciate the time you took to reply! I have one more question for you: we thought we would "bank" 2020's points for 2021, then "borrow" 2022's points, and use them to pay for this one big trip. Is there a reason that would not work? I admit, I've read a LOT about use year and banking/borrowing, but I still don't understand it all!

You can bank the 2020 points, use the 2021 points and borrow the 2022 points for a May/June 2021 trip for a total of 480 points IF the use year you get is before May. (February, March or April ).
If you have an October use year for example, May/June 2021 would be in the 2020 UY and to have 3 years (banking, current and borrowing) you would need to use 2019, 2020 and 2021 points.
I don't know how many points you need for the trip you have planned (I'm assuming you have looked it up and you know that 480 is enough).

As said above, whether you rent or own for your big trip, I would budget for the Lake View category of room. While I think you have a very good shot of getting the standard view for at least one room, it is possible to get shut out of that category. Walking is the best way but you'd have to find multiple owners willing to do it. We own at BLT and have had 100% success in our 5 attempts to get dedicated 2BR STD views so it is definitely possible. But I always suggest budget for the middle view and be pleasantly surprised when you get the standard. But I tend to budget for worse case just to be safe.

Last edited:

Another question. Let's say that even with my 480 points, I need another (very) few points. Or possibly I need several more because I can't get standard view for at least one of the rooms. Can I rent "transfer" points from someone for just what I need and then use those transfer points in conjunction with my reservation using my own points? Or do transfer points have to be used on a separate reservation?

Thank you, experts. I'm so glad you're willing to answer my questions before I plonk down over $25K!

If we own, wouldn't we be able to walk our reservations ourselves?

Maybe. Walking can be pretty dependent on things like seasons, weekends, and UY. It's not cut and dried, especially if you have to walk across seasons or have a UY issue.

Let's say that even with my 480 points, I need another (very) few points. Or possibly I need several more because I can't get standard view for at least one of the rooms. Can I rent "transfer" points from someone for just what I need and then use those transfer points in conjunction with my reservation using my own points? Or do transfer points have to be used on a separate reservation?
Transfer points can be used to make the reservation in conjunction with your points. The real hangup is going to be the "very few points." Owners get one transfer in or out each year, and very few are going to want to transfer a handful of points.

I took your question to mean "it's easier to walk myself than through rented points, right?" To which the answer is yes, as you have complete control. Finding an owner willing to walk with rented points is a serious challenge.

But Aurora's point should be well taken; the ease of walking in practice depends on several additional factors.

Here's what I'm thinking. If we can get a good contract to pass ROFR for less than $140, we'll give it a shot. I can always ask someone to book one night for me and connect reservations for one of the studios if I don't quite have the right number of points. If not, more money for improvements on the house!

Thank you again, everyone, for helping me understand the system better.

You can definitely walk your own reservation. But as others have said there is a lot of competition for studio/2br standard view rooms...and you are attempting to book/walk three rooms. That said, at that time of the year I think you will be successful. I just always like to warn against counting 100% on standard view rooms as it's not a guarantee.

We love BLT and don't think you will be disappointing owning there. Good luck!

We own BLT and have had trouble getting standard view rooms. I'd make sure you have enough points for LV.

As far as buying there before staying, we did just that. We were very familiar with WDW so we were comfortable doing that. Our reasons for buying BLT were: 1)Walking distance to MK and 2) three bathrooms in the 2BR unit (which is the size we stay in ).

Enjoy!

With your plan to bank, use and borrow three years worth of points, you need to be cautious about your UY and the date of your trip. If you get a Feb, Mar or Apr UY, you might be able to get 2020 points as well as 2021 and 2022. With a trip in May 2021, you would need 2020, 2021 and 2022 points from these UY. If you have a Jun or later UY, your May 2021 trip falls in your 2020 UY and you would need 2019, 2020 and 2021 points. Plus with a Jun UY, if your trip falls in both May and June dates, it crosses your UY and you would require two separate reservations. One for your May nights and one for your Jun nights.

But the biggest concern that I would have would be will all 15 guests realize that while you may be providing their lodging, it isn't free and if they cancel 30 days or less because of Bobby's baseball or Susie's gymnastics or they can't afford the transportation and/or park admission or their family (unless you are providing that as well). Large groups have been known to flake out on the DVC owner just because they don't understand how it works.

You should never buy DVC with the intent of recouping money via renting points. All it takes is an economic crash or a change of the rules regarding point rentals, and your plan falls apart. Can you afford DVC without relying on rental income? If not, it may not be the best financial decision.

Thanks again, everyone, for great advice from all angles. We put in an offer on a very low-per-point August use year contract with 2019 and 2020 intact (and some extra 2018 banked points). If Disney exercises their ROFR, we'll take that as a sign and rent the points in 2021. If we get it, then great!

We bought BLT in 2009 and have never regretted the location. It's always in high demand and though we've not yet needed to rent out the points I've tracked demand and it's always high.

Here are my questions:

I’m considering the same investment. Can you give an update on if you were successful?

Awesome! Congrats! What was the price per point if you don’t mind me asking?

Edited to remove a quote of a deleted post. - Chuck S

Last edited by a moderator:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter