• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Connecticut DVC Owners thread?

Former resident of Woodstock CT, right outside Putnam, and home of the famous Woodstock Fair (not that I'm bragging, but my pickles have won blue ribbons at the fair). I went to Woodstock Academy and still have friends and family there. I still keep in touch with my church there, East Woodstock Congregational.

I totally understand. We have driven with our kids in the past and it definitely takes longer and they are usually getting cranky by the afternoon!

The past couple times it's just been DH and me and it's much easier to push ourselves and make super quick rest stops, so we make better time!
Our other option is to fly to Savannah. It looks like flying out of Westchester to Savannah, renting an SUV, and flying back from Savannah to Westchester is cheaper than even renting a large SUV or minivan and driving down the whole way.

Depending on when the flight lands, we would either rent a car to drive to DHHR and then head to WDW the next day or rent a car and drive straight to WDW the same day. I’ve booked us a night at DHHIR, just in case, as we wait to see what flights and car rentals do in terms of cost. Right now, flying to MCO and renting a car (we always rent a car for the convenience of going offsite whenever we please, even if it’s just for ice cream).

I was just searching for airline availability to MCO in July. Last April I flew down on Delta for $280 round trip out of JFK. Same trip now is $713 main cabin (are they nuts??) and Avelo is $328. Guess I'm trying Avelo. How is the parking in New Haven?

I was just searching for airline availability to MCO in July. Last April I flew down on Delta for $280 round trip out of JFK. Same trip now is $713 main cabin (are they nuts??) and Avelo is $328. Guess I'm trying Avelo. How is the parking in New Haven?
Easy peasy! It’s not in downtown; it’s on the other side of the Q Bridge, almost into East Haven (maybe the address actually is East Haven?). We drive through East Haven to get there from our end of the state. If you’re coming from south of the Q, you’ll probably cross into East Haven before crossing back to New Haven. You can park easily and walk a very short distance with no problems. They have 3 lots. You can use this to see what’s available in which lot: https://parkhvn.com/

Last edited:

Headed to Tweed soon. Took a dry run a week ago but didn't venture inside. What am I in for? Is there any place to grab breakfast/coffee/cold soft drink?
How is Security? Baggage check in?

Headed to Tweed soon. Took a dry run a week ago but didn't venture inside. What am I in for? Is there any place to grab breakfast/coffee/cold soft drink?
How is Security? Baggage check in?
No lines at security and minimal lines at baggage check. There’s a little café type stand where we get juice, coffee, tea, soda, and muffins.

Tweed tip from a Newbie:
Follow the dang signs! One cannot drop off luggage inside without them being tagged by a counter agent! Lesson learned. Avelo employees are VERY nice, friendly. If you need water on the flight to MCO, make sure you ask for it because we received zip on the way down.

And the Tweed speakers will shred every announcement. I complained as nobody could understand what was said. Speakers need replacing.

Cookies??!!!!😳. Oh my Word! Just got home and no water on this trip either (never mind cookies!!)
It was a hot, sticky birthday trip with DS, but truly wonderful with no major issues at BLT or PVB.
I found that older CMs we're attentive and engaging, but young ones were not overall.
Something is lacking in recent training. Lots of chatting amongst themselves and not engaging with Guests.
The resorts were just perfect in themselves tho. Theming at Poly is fantastic! Both fireworks shows MK & Epcot were highlights of trip. No complaints. Crowds June 13-16 were not overwhelming. All food really good, wines too.

Cookies??!!!!😳. Oh my Word! Just got home and no water on this trip either (never mind cookies!!)
It was a hot, sticky birthday trip with DS, but truly wonderful with no major issues at BLT or PVB.
I found that older CMs we're attentive and engaging, but young ones were not overall.
Something is lacking in recent training. Lots of chatting amongst themselves and not engaging with Guests.
The resorts were just perfect in themselves tho. Theming at Poly is fantastic! Both fireworks shows MK & Epcot were highlights of trip. No complaints. Crowds June 13-16 were not overwhelming. All food really good, wines too.
So glad your trip was amazing!

I am sad they didn’t give you the packaged cookies and water. My kids loved their cookies.

Avelo released their next batch of fares finally. I was annoyed that the earliest flight out of Tweed is now 12 pm as that is just a loss of a day since you aren’t landing until 2:55 and, with the kids, the crowds, getting our luggage, and picking up a rental, it would likely be closer to 4, which puts us in the horrid rush hour traffic. In terms of returning home, the first flight out of MCO is 8:30 am. Since we are ending our trip at Vero Beach, I opted to look at Palm Beach International instead. Flights were $10 more/person on the way down but $200/per person less on the way home ($99/person from PBI and $299/person from MCO). Then I looked at Costco for rentals and those were half price for a minivan out of PBI instead of MCO. So I booked us round trip to PBI. We land much earlier than flying out to MCO (landing at 10:40 versus not leaving HVN until 12 pm).

Between the price difference in airfare and the price difference in the rental, I figured it was well worth it to drive from PBI to WDW then to VB and finally back to PBI. Even if we take our time with the kids at PBI and don’t pick up the rental until 11:30 (unlikely given the smaller size of PBI—my MIL said it’s about Bradley sized), we will still be at WDW by 2:30 pm (I’m padding the time by about 40 minutes because I’m sure we will stop somewhere for fast food).

I don’t know if it’s nuts but I know my wallet likes it so we don’t have to drive any longer. I was kind of looking forward to driving but my husband was not.

I flew Avelo MCO to HVN the other day, then back to MCO.
I’m an airline pilot, so I don’t pay anything to fly.
There were many bugs in the system to get me on the plane due to them being new. That’s understandable.
All that said, I was very impressed with the operation considering they are a new airline. THEE best customer service I have experienced.
We were delayed five hours out of HVN, honestly no fault of the airline (I was watching the weather and tracking the aircraft). What impressed me is they did not cancel the flight. Late, yes. No fault of Avelo, but they left nobody stranded. Agents were extremely nice and accommodating.

My only concern is HVN from an airline pilot perspective, the runway is very short.
It meets performance numbers (obviously) for normal operations. I do wonder how that will fare when the runway is slick due to rain/snow, etc..
I do not fly the 737 so cannot say for sure.
The airport only has precision approaches in one direction, so inclement weather is a factor.

Overall a great experience, but with the limited airport facilities aircraft may have a hard time.

My only concern is HVN from an airline pilot perspective, the runway is very short.
It meets performance numbers (obviously) for normal operations. I do wonder how that will fare when the runway is slick due to rain/snow, etc..
I do not fly the 737 so cannot say for sure.
The airport only has precision approaches in one direction, so inclement weather is a factor.

Overall a great experience, but with the limited airport facilities aircraft may have a hard time.
Really glad to hear your perspective given your career!

We flew back from MCO to HVN in January of this year after the New Haven area and our area was slammed by nearly a foot of snow. We were delayed for quite a few hours leaving MCO but we did make it home, just many hours later than expected. I don’t know how they managed it but I will say walking off the plane to the baggie claim area, it was windy and slick.

The runway at HVN is tiny right now and I believe is going to be expanded.

And that terminal has always been so tiny. I’m told that is also going to be expanded and improved upon under the new plans.

For those of you that have taken Avelo to MCO, which terminal do you arrive at? Going in three weeks and want to be prepared since I'm getting a rental car at Budget a few yards from the old Magical Express check-in.

And does Avelo offer snacks / drinks on the plane?

For those of you that have taken Avelo to MCO, which terminal do you arrive at? Going in three weeks and want to be prepared since I'm getting a rental car at Budget a few yards from the old Magical Express check-in.

MCO doesn't really have terminals, it's just two sides of the same building. There's a Budget desk on both sides and you can go to either one. If your baggage claim is on the A side, stay on the A side. If B, stay B. There's no need to go back to the old DME spot in B if your baggage claim is in A.

If you're not checking a bag, go to B. B for "Better." It's a more direct route to exit the airport and get onto the highway.

If you're not checking a bag, go to B. B for "Better." It's a more direct route to exit the airport and get onto the highway.
I never knew that - thanks! (When we fly, it's via United, which is on the B side. Next time we fly and rent a car, I can keep telling DH that he's driving the easy way out of the airport.)

It's amazing what you can learn from these boards.

I never knew that - thanks! (When we fly, it's via United, which is on the B side. Next time we fly and rent a car, I can keep telling DH that he's driving the easy way out of the airport.)

It's amazing what you can learn from these boards.
Yep, A is the North side of the building, B is the South side. A is better if you're going downtown, B is better to Disney.

They offered a small water bottle and sugar cookie each time we have flown Avelo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter