Confused about every three years?

cbonebt

Mouseketeer
considering dvc.. So confusing lol. Someone told me that every three years you have to take a non Disney vacation? I can't find any information on this? Can someone clarify?

The only thing that makes sense to me is they were discussing buying a low number of points so that you bank and borrow for a trip using three years of points, which would lead to 2 years of no points available for vacations. Or going every other year using banked OR borrowed points but that doesn't fit the "every three year" scenario

2017 points---> banked to 2018
2018 trip
2019 points <------borrowed for 2018 trip

so, no points available for 2019
no trip in 2019, or 2020

and repeat
2020 points ----->banked to 2021
2021 trip
2022 points<------borrowed for 2021 trip

and repeat

Last edited:
There is no requirement to take a non-dvc vacation. As posted, it could be you just don't have any points to use, depending on how you bank and borrow.

I fact Disney has it set up so you only take Disney park vacations. Using your points for anything else they have made it inconvenient and/or expensive. They advertise that you can use your points at all of these wonderful places but it's just advertising.

:earsboy: Bill

considering dvc.. So confusing lol. Someone told me that every three years you have to take a non Disney vacation? I can't find any information on this? Can someone clarify?

Wonder where that someone has been going!?

As mentioned - no, there's no such requirement.

To address the underlying issue, buying DVC to take non DVC vacations would be an extremely poor choice and approach. If DVC makes sense to stay at DVC resorts, just buy the number of points that work there and look at other options for non DVC trips.

I fact Disney has it set up so you only take Disney park vacations. Using your points for anything else they have made it inconvenient and/or expensive. They advertise that you can use your points at all of these wonderful places but it's just advertising.

Which is why the dh refused over the years to buy :(
Meanwhile... people are paying 20-50k , taking mortgages n lines of credit to Own DVC, and getting vacations every other year ??... and only at Disney parks. ?? Really?
I think that'd seriously turn my tummy If it's accurate. And I'm Disney addicted :scared:

Meanwhile... people are paying 20-50k , taking mortgages n lines of credit to Own DVC, and getting vacations every other year ??... and only at Disney parks. ?? Really?
I think that'd seriously turn my tummy If it's accurate. And I'm Disney addicted :scared:
Lots of people do lots of unwise things financially.

Which is why the dh refused over the years to buy :( Meanwhile... people are paying 20-50k , taking mortgages n lines of credit to Own DVC, and getting vacations every other year ??... and only at Disney parks. ?? Really? I think that'd seriously turn my tummy If it's accurate. And I'm Disney addicted :scared:
Well, you're comparing some of the highest spends to some of the lowest usage habits. $50k would buy you a LOT of points. At $100pp, that's a 500-point contract, or enough for 10 nights in a 2-Bedroom suite (sleeps 9) every year! In a studio, that could get you 25 nights per year! So clearly if you only want to go every other year, you're not going to spend $50k. You could buy a 50-point base... That would run you around $5,000 instead... and get you 50 points per year (100 points every 2 years), which is good for a 5-night studio every other year. $5,000, not $50,000. You buy proportional to the amount you want to go.

Some do that and many others don't. For many it's discretionary income/savings and you pay cash. One can also rent out their points and go elsewhere - it's a pretty easy thing to do. Or others spend some vacation at Disney and some elsewhere. It doesn't have to tie you only to Disney no matter what they would want it to do.

Can I ask... so let's say spending about 5-7k... getting about 50-75 points...

Then besides the initial purchase... the fees are what ? Monthly or yearly?
And do those or Have those fees Historicakky increase or stay the same?

You have a yearly dues bill that increases about 4% per year. The dues vary by resort and can be paid monthly or once per year. In addition when you sell you will have a brokers commission and fees due to Disney.

There are Maintenance fees billed as annual dues. The are a per point amount so if you have a small number of points you pay less vs a large number of points. The fee per point varies between the resorts. They are due in mid-January if paid in full or you can set up for monthly payments which DVC actually doesn't charge any fee to do. The do go up - inflation, wage increases etc need to be compensated for. In a few very rare cases they have gone done in a year but that is based on the budgets and costs going down and is unlikely. Here's a link to dues history for each resort:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-resource-center.3516203/#post-55874468

There are Maintenance fees billed as annual dues. The are a per point amount so if you have a small number of points you pay less vs a large number of points. The fee per point varies between the resorts. They are due in mid-January if paid in full or you can set up for monthly payments which DVC actually doesn't charge any fee to do. The do go up - inflation, wage increases etc need to be compensated for. In a few very rare cases they have gone done in a year but that is based on the budgets and costs going down and is unlikely. Here's a link to dues history for each resort:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-resource-center.3516203/#post-55874468

Nice of them not to charge you a fee to accept early payments. :-)

It happens far too frequently but it's a society issue not just a DVC one. Just look at the average net worth and retirement savings of people in general or lack of. I can't even imagine putting one's home at risk to save a few $$$ on interest but it's recommended on DIS (and others) routinely.

Why has dh refused? Because he doesn't want to go to Disney only? So don't go to Disney only. We bought in (and had a loan omg) and have gone several times and, with cash, have gone on cruises and to Ireland and England and California and have had all sorts of fun.

Ir has he refused because of other peoples' spending habits? I don't get it.

What turns your stomach?

Seems so... I hate to admit it...looks like dh was Right :groom:

About what?

Nice of them not to charge you a fee to accept early payments. :-)

If you're paying dues monthly you are paying this year's dues all year long. That means they aren't charging a fee for you to take all year to pay what was officially due in January for those who don't pay monthly. They aren't earky payments. They are late payments. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!