Confused about every three years?

Here is an example. After selling my BCV contract, I was left with a 35 point contract at AKV. By banking and borrowing, I can easily stay a week every third year in a studio during a value season. The maintenance fee runs around $220/year. I pay that from my Disney Visa Rewards.

Can I ask... so let's say spending about 5-7k... getting about 50-75 points...

Then besides the initial purchase... the fees are what ? Monthly or yearly?
And do those or Have those fees historically increase or stay the same?

it's basically like buying a vacation home.

so you pay upfront costs to purchase the home - which is like your upfront costs to purchase DVC.

but you also owe ongoing costs like property taxes, insurance, lawn maintenance costs, repainting at times, furniture replacement at times, electrician/HVAC/plumbing costs for maintenance and repairs and so on (and in DVC's case, also transportation costs - like for the buses/boats/monorails - and staffing costs for the front desk and housekeeping (and health care benefit costs and wages tend to go up).

Here is an example. After selling my BCV contract, I was left with a 35 point contract at AKV. By banking and borrowing, I can easily stay a week every third year in a studio during a value season. The maintenance fee runs around $220/year. I pay that from my Disney Visa Rewards.

So in the big pix, for this example... around
$660 for (that 3 year maint. Fee) plus original cost to buy those 35 pts at Approx $4000. ( based off another response here)
And that d get us a week 5 or 7 day vacation, every three years at akv at Value season?

I'm not sure I actually see the advantage Clear enuf to sell the dh, lol.

I guess for me/us it's the flexibility to just up and go and not feel A) locked in, for lack of a better term to either the one home DVC resort to get "best bang" and the same as far as "time frame/value" as well...
regardless, it seems to work for many ... and I say, good for them!
I just don't see a financial benefit for our situation, and that's okay too!
Certainly Appreciate all the help tho...

Ps..our last visit at AKV ( kidani grand villa and a 1br was AWEsome for our family gathering... rented pts
And felt we got a great deal. Everyone Loved it.. and we knew they would!
Enjoy!

Last edited:
It's not for everyone. The long-term commitment and need for planning doesn't work for some and can lead to disappointment. Renting sounds like it would be a good option for you.

The only way DVC makes any financial since is IF YOU WOULD NORMALLY GO TO DISNEY at least every other year and stay in a mod or deluxe.
Don't buy DVC to cruise, or stay at RCI, or the Disney hotels.. and ONLY buy resale. JMHO

So in the big pix, for this example... around
$660 for (that 3 year maint. Fee) plus original cost to buy those 35 pts at Approx $4000. ( based off another response here)
And that d get us a week 5 or 7 day vacation, every three years at akv at Value season?

I'm not sure I actually see the advantage Clear enuf to sell the dh, lol.

I guess for me/us it's the flexibility to just up and go and not feel A) locked in, for lack of a better term to either the one home DVC resort to get "best bang" and the same as far as "time frame/value" as well...
regardless, it seems to work for many ... and I say, good for them!
I just don't see a financial benefit for our situation, and that's okay too!
Certainly Appreciate all the help tho...

Ps..our last visit at AKV ( kidani grand villa and a 1br was AWEsome for our family gathering... rented pts
And felt we got a great deal. Everyone Loved it.. and we knew they would!
Enjoy!
DVC likely won't work for the situation you've described but DVC isn't an all or nothing option. You could always buy in for planned trips and do cash for other trips if it makes sense otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter