COMPLETED**1st Anniversary, 2nd Dining Review...Updated 1/15 Final Posts

The pork at the Brown Derby looks delicious! I love pork but we don't make it very often so it's a very "special occasion" food now. ;) The grapefruit cake looks very pretty but I'm really only a fan of grapefruit in small doses so I guess I'll skip that one.

Yay! I'm glad you rec Crystal Palace - that's our one buffet/character meal reserved just to get into Magic Kingdom early. Do you ask for the characters to skip you? We aren't big character people either (I never know what to do with them!) and I would rather have a quicker breakfast/more empty park time than a meet and greet with Tigger.

The pork WAS delicious!

We don't ask for the characters to skip us. I think that by us just giving a friendly little wave, not reaching for a camera/autograph book, and not putting our forks down, they kinda get the hint. :lmao:

Citricos was the last signature on our list that we had yet to try, so we were really looking forward to this one. Not only was it a new and exciting experience for us, but the menu sounded simply divine!

We had the earliest dinner time offered, so we walked into a completely empty dining room. It was very cool! The colors and the decor were really nice...sort of warm, colorful, and modern all at once. We sat right beside the open kitchen and loved it. It was really neat to watch the chefs prepare all of the yummy food and interact with each other.

D-World2011098.jpg

D-World2011099.jpg

Our server was Nancy. She was very attentive and very nice; however, she had a lovely accent that was very hard to understand. She gave us everything we needed/wanted during the meal, without hovering.

The chef started us out with a complimentary amuse bouche.
D-World2011095.jpg

I cannot remember what it was...perhaps a scallop? or perhaps it was cheese? :confused3 Either way, it was delicious and it was a real treat. This was our first amuse bouche EVER!!

For his appetizer, DH got the Blue Crab Pave.
D-World2011097.jpg

He seemed to enjoy this. It was sort of like a cold crab cake salad. The piquillo vinaigrette (the red stuff) had a bit of a kick to it, which I really liked. Although he said it was good, I think he would try something else next time.

We both like my appetizer better... the sauteed shrimp.
D-World2011096.jpg

Dang, this was so good. The mix of lemon, white wine, and feta cheese is unbeatable anyway. Throw in some shrimp and you've got yourself one GREAT appetizer. I would definitely order this again. In a heartbeat.

For his entree, DH got the veal shank.
D-World2011101.jpg

First of all, the presentation of this dish just made us say, "Wow!" DH LOVED this dish. He proclaims it one of his favorites of the trip. He ate every bite. Nancy even gave him a little fork to use for the bone marrow. I tried it....it had a strange consistency but a good flavor. DH would probably, no, definitely get this again when (not if) we come back. I don't even think he would try anything else he enjoyed this so much. I love when my man is happy!

For my entree, I got the braised short ribs (again).
D-World2011100.jpg

I thought the short ribs at Jiko were good...well...these were even better! They were soooooo good. One of my favorite entrees of the trip as well. The ribs were so tender they almost fell apart just looking at them. The polenta and mustard greens were the perfect accompaniments, and the orange demi-glace gave a lovely sweetness to the whole dish. I would definitely go with this next time. It was very, very good.

For DH's dessert, he got the lemon-scented cheesecake (I think).
D-World2011102.jpg

I am not the biggest cheesecake fan, so I'm not really sure I tried it. He thought it was good, as he loves lemon and cheesecake. I'm pretty sure he ate it all, which is saying something since he probably had his entire entree and part of mine.

My dessert was the warm chocolate banana tart.
D-World2011103.jpg

Just look at that chocolate sculpture!!! It was love at first sight. And it was sooooo deliciously good. Very rich, very chocolatey, with some soft bananas nestled in the center. Mmmmmm. Definitely get this if you like chocolate and banana. Mmmmm. So so good.

Our Citricos experience was top-notch all the way around. The atmosphere, the service, and the food were more than we ever expected. This just jumped the ranks to one of our top D-World restaurants. Did it make number one? Perhaps. Did somewhere else impress us even more? Perhaps. All I can tell you right now is to definitely try to work Citricos into your ADRs if you are doing the signatures. I cannot believe we left this one out last time. There is no doubt in my mind that this will be on our must-do ADR list next time.

Total cost $153.02 plus tip.

Wow those signature meals look great. Just a few more years until I can leave the kids and go eat at one with DH :lovestruc

I wish "Cam" was my server :rotfl: I hate mango too but I am pretty sure he could talk me into it.

I also liked the good Crystal palace review. Definitely want to try to go there next time.

Just wanted to say a quick 'thanks' for these reviews. Looks like you had some truly amazing meals! Would love to try some Signatures but may wait until we can go kid-free. Only about 14 years to wait then, LOL!

Thanks so much for the Citricos Review
We have been going back and forth trying to decide if we should try it or not
Your review is making me think we should give it a shot :thumbsup2

Citricos has never been on the top of my list of places to try just because nothing from their menu really gets my mouth watering. But that chocolate banana dessert is just amazing! I would definitely love to try that ;)

Great review! We're heading back in a couple of months and Jiko is on our list & I can't wait!

Wow those signature meals look great. Just a few more years until I can leave the kids and go eat at one with DH :lovestruc

I wish "Cam" was my server :rotfl: I hate mango too but I am pretty sure he could talk me into it.

I also liked the good Crystal palace review. Definitely want to try to go there next time.

Just wanted to say a quick 'thanks' for these reviews. Looks like you had some truly amazing meals! Would love to try some Signatures but may wait until we can go kid-free. Only about 14 years to wait then, LOL!

Thanks for reading! The signatures are definitely awesome!

Thanks so much for the Citricos Review
We have been going back and forth trying to decide if we should try it or not
Your review is making me think we should give it a shot :thumbsup2

I think you should! I know everyone likes different things, but I have seen many, many great reviews of this place. It doesn't have the "hype" of Cali Grill or Le Cellier and I htink that why many people don't try it. Have fun!

Citricos has never been on the top of my list of places to try just because nothing from their menu really gets my mouth watering. But that chocolate banana dessert is just amazing! I would definitely love to try that ;)

It was divine!!

So subscribing!!

Thanks for reading!

Great review! We're heading back in a couple of months and Jiko is on our list & I can't wait!

Jiko is definitely a "can't miss" for us. Love it!!

So, one of our goals this trip was to use the snack credits for delicious snacks. We also wanted to get our money's worth. We didn't want to use up our credits on bottles of water, but we also didn't want to have 12 credits left on our last day. I must say, we did a darn good job. Here's some of what we got....

Jalepeno Stuffed Pretzels - I know I already mentioned these in our Jiko review, but OMG. Definitely get one of these. They aren't too easy to find. We got ours in AK, but also saw them near the America pavillion at Epcot.

Frozen Coca-Colas - Another one of our favorites. This is much more enjoyable for us than just a run-of-the-mill drink. We usually try to find one of these when we need some refreshment.

Coke Floats- Got a couple of these. Wow, were they good. Coca-Cola and ice cream...what more could anyone want?!

Baked goods from France - I got the Napoleon and DH got the Ham and Cheese something. I think I included pics in one of the reviews... It was awesome. A great use of snack credits.

Popcorn - We always get a TON of popcorn. It is just sooooo good and so Disney to me.

Caramel Corn from the Caramel Shop in Germany - Okay, I was really really disappointed in this. As a disclaimer, you must know we are completely spoiled when it come to caramel corn. We live about 2 miles from Fisher's Popcorn and a few more miles from Dolle's Popcorn at the Delaware beaches. So, needless to say, we KNOW good caramel corn. This was not good. It was way too sticky and soggy. My jaws were tired after only a few pieces. I threw most of it out. I had read such good things about this stuff, I was was bummed it was so bad.

Bagel and Cinnamon roll from Sunshine Seasons - So it wasn't Main Street Bakery, but it hit the spot. We were hungry and this was pretty much our only option. I think Epcot needs a good bakery somewhere in Future World.

Butterfinger Cupcake at Starring Rolls - Another winner! After hearing so much about it, I was determined to try it this trip. I'm so glad I did. It was very, very sweet and rich, but I loved it. Thankfully DH helped me because there is no way I could have done it on my own. I definitely was on a sugar high for a while afterwards!

Eclair from MSB - DH got this. It was good but he only gave me a bite.

I think that's pretty much it. Snack credits rock. I love them. I think thats one of the things I would miss most if we fecided to forgo the dining plan in the future.

There are some things that are still on my must-try snack list. I still need to get the Norwegian Schoolbread and Kaki Gori. Hopefully next time....

(P.S. Why is a corn dog not a snack credit?!?!?)

We're going in October to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We are doing the Deluxe Dining Plan. Thank you so much for your reviews. We are from the Gulf Coast and love seafood, so we are really enjoying your reviews from that standpoint. Since we are also celebrating a special occasion, I love your viewpoint from that aspect as well. We are staying at the Contemporary, and I'm going to try to talk hubby into Crystal Palace Breakfast one day, and as you advised, not an EMH day. Thanks again for your reviews!

I cannot believe I have not written a review in so long. I apologize for being MIA. We have had a lot going on.....

So anyway, back to the reviews. I only have a few left.

We decided to go to Mama Melrose for lunch. I had been here many years back for dinner and thought it was fantastic. One of our goals this trip was to try to fit in as many new-to-us places we could. DH had never been here, he loves pizza, and a decent lunch at HS is hard to find.

We didn't want to completely stuff our faces at this meal because we had big plans for dinner, so we split the Calamari for Two.
D-World2011106.jpg

Now, I've not had a lot of calamari. But THIS was good. It was very crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. And the sauce!! The sauce was fantasic. It might be a tad spicy for some, but I really loved it.

For his entree, guess what DH ordered....
D-World2011108.jpg

Pizza!!! Of course! This is actually the Carne d'Italia Flatbread. He loved it! It had pepperoni, Italian sausage, and pancetta with that delicious spicy sauce. I had a bit and I have to admit, it was good pizza. Much better than the pizza at the counter service locations in DWorld. He pollished off the whole thing, can you believe it?!? I can!

For my entree, I got the penne alla vodka.
D-World2011107.jpg

OMG. Seriously, I had doubts about ordering this because of the word vodka (bad college memories, know what i mean?) but, it was so deliciously fantastic. It was made with pancetta and sweet onions with a delicious sauce of basil, cream, tomatoes, and vodka. I'm telling you, it did not taste like vodka at all, so don't let that deter you. This was one instance where I wished i could have taken my leftovers. This would have been fabulous the next day!

For DH's dessert, he got the chocolate amaretti cheesecake.
D-World2011110.jpg

As you know, I'm not much of a cheesecake fan, but it was okay. DH ate most of it. He seemed to enjoy it.

I got the Mama's Panna Cotta.
D-World2011109.jpg

It was sort of a make-shift tiramisu. I like this one better than the cheesecake, but I seem to really enjoy the custard-y desserts. Also, this went very well with my after-lunch expresso.

We both enjoyed this dining experience and we would definitely go back again. While it's not at the top of our list, it would definitely be a place we would return to if we needed to eat somewhere in HS.

Next up....Cali Grill!!!

Mama Melrose's looks really tasty! That pizza looks good, I think I know what I'm having for a snack tonight ;) Just wish it was that one in your pic, yum!

Mama Melrose has never really been somewhere on my radar, but your meal looks pretty good!

If you read my last dining review, you may remember that I was a bit underwhelmed by Cali Grill on our honeymoon. DH wanted to give it another shot (as did I) since we were lucky enough to be on the DxDP again.

Things immediately started out better this time when we we sat right by the window with a perfect view of the castle. Not that there is anything wrong with the wine room...it's nice and all, just not where I want to sit while dining at CG. So, that just made my night!

Our server was Jillian. She seemed to be pretty rushed that night... her personality was a bit meh, but...she was a very heavy wine pourer. This made her one of our favorite servers of the trip. :)

For his appetizer, DH got the Dungeness Crab Stack.
D-World2011116.jpg

This was basically a pile of cold crab meat with avacado, cucumber, and a tomato-ginger vinaigrette. DH didn't necessaily dislike this, but I know for a fact he wouldn't order it again.

It's hard to compete with my appetizer...the spicy kazan roll (with no tuna).
D-World2011117.jpg

OMG. Seriously. This was the best dish I have ever had in my whole life. If you have already had it, you know what I mean. If you haven't had it (or are afraid to get it as I was last year), just bite the bullet and get it. Seriously. It is so good that I would make a special trip to Cali Grill (from Delaware) just to get this.

For his entree, DH had some kind of veal.
D-World2011122.jpg

It is no longer on the menu, so I cannot give you the full scoop. But I can tell you, he LOVED it. I'm pretty sure he said it was even better than Citricos.

For my entree, I got the snapper.
D-World2011121.jpg

This came with a crab risotto and was good, but it also had a corn base. (Will I ever learn?!?) I loved the fish, but the corn base made it something I would probably not order again.

For our first dessert, we got the creme brulee.
D-World2011123.jpg

I think it was vanilla bean. We got it last year, and it was just as good as I remembered.

Our other dessert was some sort of a lemon trio (I think).
D-World2011124.jpg

We both love lemon, so I'm sure it was good, but I don't even remember a single bite of it.

While we ate our dessert, we were able to watch Wishes from our table. It was the perfect ending to a fantastic night.

I would definitely go back to Cali Grill. I think it has now taken over my top choice for best dining experience on property. I'm so glad we gave it another go. We just had a mediocre experience last time. This was so great. I cannot wait to go back again. On our next trip, this will definitely be a must-do and be at the top of my list.

Our total for this dinner was $281.43. (OMG!!!) We ended up using 4 dining credits and paying $125 plus tip oop (we drank A LOT of wine).

Cali Grill looks so delicious! But WOW, that is a lot of wine! :worship: :rotfl2:

Also, I went back and re-read your Mama Melrose review and it was super helpful! Our next upcoming trip I found out my brother is joining us - which is great, but he is the pickiest adult eater in the world and pretty much only eats pizza. So I'm desperate to find some places where he can enjoy a meal with us. Mama Melrose's looks like a good choice for that!

Cali Grill looks so delicious! But WOW, that is a lot of wine! :worship: :rotfl2:

Also, I went back and re-read your Mama Melrose review and it was super helpful! Our next upcoming trip I found out my brother is joining us - which is great, but he is the pickiest adult eater in the world and pretty much only eats pizza. So I'm desperate to find some places where he can enjoy a meal with us. Mama Melrose's looks like a good choice for that!

Yes...it was a lot of wine. :) We each had 3 glasses at about $14-16 each. The funny thing is at home I get a 1L bottle of wine that costs $7.99. I'm no sure I've ever even gotten a whole bottle that was $16...let alone a glass! Oh well, this was our big splurge of the vacation. We don't buy souvenirs...we buy alcohol. :)

Glad MM looks good to you. It's definitely a great place to go if someone in your party is picky. My DH is quite the pizza critic and if he liked it, I'm sure your family member will. Have fun!

(As a side note, I have to tell you that we got some super-terrific snacks on this trip. I didn't take pics of all of them, nor will I probably remember all of them, but I will sure try to highlight some of the...well...highlights! Our first day we enjoyed one of the best snacks of our entire trip...the jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzels. OMG, they are so good. We never got the chance to get another one during the remainder of our trip, but we sure talked about them the whole time.)

First off, I'm really enjoying your reviews, and Jiko is up there as one of my favorite places to eat in Disney!:thumbsup2

I was laughing at your jalapeno pretzel comments, as we encountered THE SAME THING... I'm still talking about them, actually. And, I learned a little known secret about the JP goodness.... you can get them in Epcot!!!:woohoo: I believe it's at the Fife and Drum kiosk over in the American Adventure pavilion.

Had I known this on our last trip we wouldn't have had to make a trip to AK on our final vacation day JUST for the pretzel. :rotfl:

Can't wait to read more!

First off, I'm really enjoying your reviews, and Jiko is up there as one of my favorite places to eat in Disney!:thumbsup2

I was laughing at your jalapeno pretzel comments, as we encountered THE SAME THING... I'm still talking about them, actually. And, I learned a little known secret about the JP goodness.... you can get them in Epcot!!!:woohoo: I believe it's at the Fife and Drum kiosk over in the American Adventure pavilion.

Had I known this on our last trip we wouldn't have had to make a trip to AK on our final vacation day JUST for the pretzel. :rotfl:

Can't wait to read more!

I would love to have one right now! We actually saw them in Epcot but it was after we had just stuffed our faces at one restaurant or another (thank you DxDP!) so I didn't go for it. The embarassing thing is I seriously contemplated it. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter