comparisons

tinkslite

Mouseketeer
Trip Report:
I am going to use this space to answer the question I (and many of my Disney Addict friends) have been asked so many times: Why do I keep going back? or Why not spend less and go to other parks?
I do attend other parks from time to time, as I did on Saturday. My son and a friend both turned 16, last week, and so we celebrated by taking the family to the nearest theme park (a 4 hour drive). Our day was spent at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Northern California. As it is a mix of Wild Animal experiences (shows and enclosures something like Sea World) and rides, the most comparable Disney Park is Animal Kingdom.
The park has a rough hub and spokes layout, similar to the design Walt Disney took with Disneyland (and subsequent parks). As you enter the park You are roughly in the center. There are sections (in Disney Speak known as "lands") themed Sky, Sea and Land, but they aren't really divided all that well, and so I couldn't tell when I was in one or the other, per se.
I did not ride any rides, this time, but have experienced most. Other members of our group did, and they did not experience waits longer than 10 minutes, as it was a gray and somewhat drizzly day. This park offers the equivalent of Fastpass service for an added fee. There are three tiers and cost rises based on the tier. As FP's at Disney have always been included, I am a little offended by the pricing structure. It sets up a VIP guest experience for the wealthy.......I suppose that is their option, but I find it distasteful.
I really had fun seeing the animals and shows and the Tigers and Elephants were my favorites. They seem to cut the show times down alot at this the off season. The shows were between 10 and 15 minutes each, and during the summer were often 30 minutes or so. Also shows were only offered once so if you missed it, tough luck.
The bathrooms were FILTHY. The tiger cages smelled better. This is a Disney pet peeve, it isn't that hard to keep the bathroom clean. It just isn't. YUCK.
The staff did NOT greet guests they encountered, or try to engage them in conversation. Those that were wearing ties (managers/supervisors) did greet guests with "good morning," or similar, but other staffers hadn't got the "guests are paying us, make them feel welcomed" memo. Some went so far as to be heard complaining, or arguing in front of guests. Not ok.
There are NO sit down inside table service food venues at ALL. Everything is counter service. It is priced like something better, but it is the equivalent of bad fast food. Yes, all theme parks have bad, expensive fast food. But at Disney my family builds in "rest periods" by having a lengthy meal together, at a table service food location. Often they are themed. This park is begging for a Rain Forest Cafe (stays on theme)....So, why not?????
There was a cute childrens area, that was aimed at the preschool set. There were plenty of big, fast scary roller coasters and drop rides. There wasn't alot (or any really) themed "show" ride experiences. I think of Kilmanjaro Safaris at Animal Kingdom, which actually takes guests through the animal enclosures with a "story." This could easily be done here. Families are not encouraged to play together when the ride experiences are so bisected with no middle ground.
Things Six Flags should learn from Disney:
1. Fastpasses for free. Limit them by time frame and holder can only hold one at a time.
2. Tableside food service location. Get one (or two). Offer reservations.
3. Cleanliness is next to guest loyalty, get a bigger janitorial staff and pay them well.
4. Rides are great, but story telling is better. Engage the imagination.
5. Guest is king, start paying attention to that!

All that said, I had a really good time. My kids and their friends rode lots of fun rides, and Dad and I saw lots of cute animal shows. I got to spend the day holding hands with my hubby, which is a rate treat. I won't stop going to other parks altogether, but I will certainly appreciate the magic of Disney when I visit. Thanks to the Eaves family for including us! — with Alan Hansen and 7 scallywags.
Yvette Hansen's portrait.
Yvette Hansen's portrait.:teacher:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter