College Program Questions Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many questions:

1) When you do the DCP, do you need to pay tuition at the school you're currently enrolled in, or do you take a semester off?

2)How much do the classes cost in the DCP?

3) How feasible is it to take classes? As in, will it interfere with working?

4)If classes are a go, how many is a good fit?

5) What happens to your room mate back at your 'home' school?

Thanks!

So many questions:

1) When you do the DCP, do you need to pay tuition at the school you're currently enrolled in, or do you take a semester off?

2)How much do the classes cost in the DCP?

3) How feasible is it to take classes? As in, will it interfere with working?

4)If classes are a go, how many is a good fit?

5) What happens to your room mate back at your 'home' school?

Thanks!
1. I was enrolled in a zero credit class so I didn't pay tuition.
2. I believe the only cost for the collegiate courses is the price of books. The Exploration Series has no cost.
3. If you're taking classes, you will most likely be scheduled off on those days. They can schedule you but they must give you at least 2 hours between the end of class and the time you start work.
4. I believe fall/spring can take 2 classes, FA/SA can take 4.
5. That probably depends on your school.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a roomate from a later check-in date? I had a roommate, but then Disney called her to change arrival dates, and now she can't swtich back (she has to for other reasons, not just to be roomies with me) because the 20th is full. Even though she'll be the next arrival date after the 20th, there's no way she can room with me? I think I know the answer, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :goodvibes

I have some questions on face-characters.

I'm 5"2 and I've heard my size is in demand because there's not a lot of college students who are as short as me lol. However, while I know I'll have to do fur I REALLY want to do face as well. I know I can't be a princess :( but I was told I could possibly be friends with Alice, Wendy, the fairies...does anyone know if this is true?

Also, when you go to audition and you get in, do you know who you'll be friends with or if you are a face character?

Thanks so much.

Have a magical day :smickey:

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a roomate from a later check-in date? I had a roommate, but then Disney called her to change arrival dates, and now she can't swtich back (she has to for other reasons, not just to be roomies with me) because the 20th is full. Even though she'll be the next arrival date after the 20th, there's no way she can room with me? I think I know the answer, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :goodvibes
Roommates must have the same check in date, unfortunately. :( Why'd they maker her switch dates?

I have some questions on face-characters.

I'm 5"2 and I've heard my size is in demand because there's not a lot of college students who are as short as me lol. However, while I know I'll have to do fur I REALLY want to do face as well. I know I can't be a princess :( but I was told I could possibly be friends with Alice, Wendy, the fairies...does anyone know if this is true?

Also, when you go to audition and you get in, do you know who you'll be friends with or if you are a face character?

Thanks so much.

Have a magical day :smickey:

I can't answer all of your questions, but the height range for Tink is 4'10"-5'2" and the range for princesses is 5'3"-5'7", so depending on how they measure you it could go either way.

Can you switch your date to hers?

I could, but my parents won't really let me. (On that end, it's kinda complicated.) :confused3

But I have two suitemates already and I get along with and I don't want to lose them either. But thank you for your help!

Off on the roommate seach again... :surfweb:

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some opinions from people that have either done a CP already or just know more than I do lol...

So I'm graduating college early (could be next Spring, but I didn't want to over load my schedule as a theatre major- so I opted for Fall '13). Ideally I would be able to do the College Program right after graduating, but I'm worried that if I don't get accepted that it will have been my only chance to apply. So should I also apply for Fall '13 & take the chance that I will just have to wait to graduate in the Spring? I'm very torn over this, because I would love to go directly from a CP into a PI....and then remain at Disney FOREVER :love:

Obviously I want to apply to both just to be safe, but say I get accepted in the Fall but would rather go in the Spring. If I turned down the fall (which I would most likely NEVER do lol), what are my chances of being accepted again in the Spring? (I would graduate in December, so which CP term would that be?) So much to contemplate! :ccat:

Thank you for any advice & help I can get, hope you're all having a Magical day @:smickey:

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some opinions from people that have either done a CP already or just know more than I do lol...

So I'm graduating college early (could be next Spring, but I didn't want to over load my schedule as a theatre major- so I opted for Fall '13). Ideally I would be able to do the College Program right after graduating, but I'm worried that if I don't get accepted that it will have been my only chance to apply. So should I also apply for Fall '13 & take the chance that I will just have to wait to graduate in the Spring? I'm very torn over this, because I would love to go directly from a CP into a PI....and then remain at Disney FOREVER :love:

Obviously I want to apply to both just to be safe, but say I get accepted in the Fall but would rather go in the Spring. If I turned down the fall (which I would most likely NEVER do lol), what are my chances of being accepted again in the Spring? (I would graduate in December, so which CP term would that be?) So much to contemplate! :ccat:

Thank you for any advice & help I can get, hope you're all having a Magical day @:smickey:

I'm a theatre major too, Graduating this coming winter. Kinda in the same situation as you are :) What I am doing is applying for the PI's and CP's when the apps go up in Aug/sept...I will always have the CP as a backup, I've done the CP before, and it is likely you'd get in again, but I have seen some alum's get shafted because they think they know everything during thier interview, but I digress. I graduate in winter, so I can't apply again (i don't think...) if i get rejected, but I plan on moving down there permanently anyways, and going FT or PT after my CP(that I hope to get) ;). I think you should see what you want the most, and if your school will give you credit. You'll be missing a semester so you will graduate even later unless you take classes, and with theatre that can be difficult online. It might be better to take it after you graduate, so you're not missing any classes, and you can always extend you CP or go PT/FT. I hope that helped, I think I was just rambling though.:wizard:

I'm a theatre major too, Graduating this coming winter. Kinda in the same situation as you are :) What I am doing is applying for the PI's and CP's when the apps go up in Aug/sept...I will always have the CP as a backup, I've done the CP before, and it is likely you'd get in again, but I have seen some alum's get shafted because they think they know everything during thier interview, but I digress. I graduate in winter, so I can't apply again (i don't think...) if i get rejected, but I plan on moving down there permanently anyways, and going FT or PT after my CP(that I hope to get) ;). I think you should see what you want the most, and if your school will give you credit. You'll be missing a semester so you will graduate even later unless you take classes, and with theatre that can be difficult online. It might be better to take it after you graduate, so you're not missing any classes, and you can always extend you CP or go PT/FT. I hope that helped, I think I was just rambling though.:wizard:

No, no it makes sense- thank you! So am I right in thinking that as long as I apply while I'm a full-time student (in the fall) I will be able to do the CP right after I graduate? I hope so!! If not, I'm not so worried if I have to do the program in the fall since I'm graduating an semester early anyways credits aren't a problem. I would just have to graduate with the rest of my class like I was originally supposed to lol. After graduation would just be best because I basically want to go there for my CP/PI/ and then work for Disney for the rest of my life. :cloud9:

I would like to do the CP for Photopass because I work part-time as a photographer & it's one of my favorite parts of going to Disney:lovestruc I'd absolutely love to capture magical moments for Disney goers! Then after my CP (if I get it of course) I'd like to go right into a PI...I'm a techie so they don't offer CPs for me, but they do offer a technical theatre PI in the summer. :cool1: It would be incredible if it works out for me, I'll just keep dreaming as always!:smickey:

No, no it makes sense- thank you! So am I right in thinking that as long as I apply while I'm a full-time student (in the fall) I will be able to do the CP right after I graduate? I hope so!! If not, I'm not so worried if I have to do the program in the fall since I'm graduating an semester early anyways credits aren't a problem. I would just have to graduate with the rest of my class like I was originally supposed to lol. After graduation would just be best because I basically want to go there for my CP/PI/ and then work for Disney for the rest of my life. :cloud9:

I would like to do the CP for Photopass because I work part-time as a photographer & it's one of my favorite parts of going to Disney:lovestruc I'd absolutely love to capture magical moments for Disney goers! Then after my CP (if I get it of course) I'd like to go right into a PI...I'm a techie so they don't offer CPs for me, but they do offer a technical theatre PI in the summer. :cool1: It would be incredible if it works out for me, I'll just keep dreaming as always!:smickey:

YES! to the bolded! As long as you are a current student when you apply, you're golden. Techies, Unite!! ;) props master(& everything else...) here...what do you do?

There are some techie PI's and there is Costuming for CP, which I was accepted to the first time I did my CP but I had to be moved out because there was no room for me (i came later because i was on the quarter system at school at the time), But I plan on applying again for costuming. PI's go up in Aug/sept...You can apply for that too if you want. You don't HAVE to have done a previous CP, they just suggest it.

Hi everyone!

I'm a Fall '13 hopeful for the WDWCP and I just wanted to give a big thank you to all who have contributed to this thread over the last few years. I spent a few weeks reading through every post and you all have been tremendously helpful in my quest to learn everything that I possibly can about the Disney College Program!! :)

I have many additional questions for all of you, but I promise not to bombard you with too many at once!!

If hired by Disney, I ideally would not want to work in a role that would require me to be outdoors for an extended period of time. I have very pale, fair skin and I am prone to getting very bad sunburns during the summer if I am exposed to the sun for too long, even with SPF 30 on! I also have occurrences of skin cancer in my family. My grandfather has had several minor cases and my mother had a melanomma a few years ago. Thankfully, both are healthy and doing fine! Given this fact, I am very weary about accepting a role that would have me be outside and if I explain the situation to my interviewer, I would hate for this to hurt my chances of being hired, or I would hate to be told that I will have no choice as to where I would be placed. I have heard from friends of mine who are former CPs that your interviewer and recruiter will take medical situations like this into consideration when assigning you your role, but I just wanted to get the board's opinion on this and see if perhaps any of you have run into a similar problem in the past!

Also, one of my top choices for roles is Attractions, and ideally, I would love to work in a show as opposed to a ride. I know that Disney cannot guaruntee requests, but if I could make a request, I would absolutely love to work at Fantasmic in DHS. I'm assuming since the show is at night, if CPs do work Fantasmic, then I would probably be assigned to another attraction during the morning and afternoon hours. Is this true? Also, has anyone here worked at Fantasmic or know of anyone who has in the past? Any information about it would be very helpful!!

Just in general, I was wondering what is the likelihood of having a location request granted? Older posts in this thread (circa 2009/2010) gave me the feeling that if you give a request, more likely than not, you won't get it. Has this changed much? I know that requests are not a formal part of the interview process, but if you wish to make one, Disney recommends that you do it during your interview, instead of after or once you have been accepted into the CP. With this change where requests will be considered earlier in the process, have the chances gone up for requests being granted, or is it still not very likely for CPs to get their dream location?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!!

YES! to the bolded! As long as you are a current student when you apply, you're golden. Techies, Unite!! ;) props master(& everything else...) here...what do you do?

There are some techie PI's and there is Costuming for CP, which I was accepted to the first time I did my CP but I had to be moved out because there was no room for me (i came later because i was on the quarter system at school at the time), But I plan on applying again for costuming. PI's go up in Aug/sept...You can apply for that too if you want. You don't HAVE to have done a previous CP, they just suggest it.

REALLY?! This is so exciting, you are the first techie I've met on dis! :woohoo: I want to do props for a living, but I've also done set & lighting design (I do a ton of building & scenic painting more than the designing though)...so basically I love it all, but I'd absolutely love to do the PI as a properties intern!! I'm going to try applying for it next summer (you have to have at least completed your junior year of college to apply) if I don't get it then I will try again if I get a CP! :cloud9: A costuming CP would be fun, but I don't know how to sew (I'm more into carpentry lol) . I'm taking costuming I & II next year though, so you never know. It's so nice to meet another Disney obsessed techie!

If hired by Disney, I ideally would not want to work in a role that would require me to be outdoors for an extended period of time. I have very pale, fair skin and I am prone to getting very bad sunburns during the summer if I am exposed to the sun for too long, even with SPF 30 on! I also have occurrences of skin cancer in my family. My grandfather has had several minor cases and my mother had a melanomma a few years ago. Thankfully, both are healthy and doing fine! Given this fact, I am very weary about accepting a role that would have me be outside and if I explain the situation to my interviewer, I would hate for this to hurt my chances of being hired, or I would hate to be told that I will have no choice as to where I would be placed. I have heard from friends of mine who are former CPs that your interviewer and recruiter will take medical situations like this into consideration when assigning you your role, but I just wanted to get the board's opinion on this and see if perhaps any of you have run into a similar problem in the past!

Also, one of my top choices for roles is Attractions, and ideally, I would love to work in a show as opposed to a ride. I know that Disney cannot guaruntee requests, but if I could make a request, I would absolutely love to work at Fantasmic in DHS. I'm assuming since the show is at night, if CPs do work Fantasmic, then I would probably be assigned to another attraction during the morning and afternoon hours. Is this true? Also, has anyone here worked at Fantasmic or know of anyone who has in the past? Any information about it would be very helpful!!

I'm not sure about the medical aspect, but hopefully someone else can answer your question. I do know they ask you if you're okay with working outside. Depending on your role and location, you may end up working mostly at night, which would solve your problem :) I work in the MK at night and most of my coworkers are CPs, since the full and part-timers tend to want daytime hours. Personally I love working at night, because even though it's still hot, there's no sun beaming down on you, plus I get to see/hear Wishes every night!

My DD works at F! in Costuming. That is definitely a nighttime role. Her shifts are usually 4 or 6 pm - midnight. I'm not sure what it would be for Attractions host, but probably similar. When she works F! that is the only place she works that day, but she also works a couple of other locations on other days, it just depends on where they need her. Again, I'm not sure how that would work with Attractions though.

A costuming CP would be fun, but I don't know how to sew

Just to let you know, you don't do any sewing for a Costuming CP. It's mostly laundry, pre-setting costumes and dressing performers for shows/parades.

I've copied below a description by Berlioz70 in a different thread about Costuming:

"There are a couple hundred Costuming CPs. Couple hundred sounds like a lot, but in comparison to attractions/merch/F&B it's really not too many.

You are correct, there are 2 main areas: Entertainment (for most CPs it's the character room, but some many also get trained at a show/parade) & Operations.

Depending on where you're trained, you will do different things. Nearly all CPs are trained in at least 2 locations (more if it's a longer program). The first location is assigned based on need. But during your first week you will have a meeting with a Manager, this is your opportunity to express interest in a second location (if it wasn't already assigned). Some roles have additional requirements (valid drivers license), and they'll make sure you meet those if needed.

Ops: hanging speadrail and working the check out counter
Ent: presetting costumes, laundry, and monitoring check out
Shows/Parade: helping performers dress prior to performance/change during show and laundry"

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter