College Program-Day 1

I'm really hoping for more character dining experiences to open up soon now that the college program is back! 🤞 I booked a Crystal Palace reservation for mid-July just in case it returns to character dining, haha.

I'm really hoping for more character dining experiences to open up soon now that the college program is back! 🤞 I booked a Crystal Palace reservation for mid-July just in case it returns to character dining, haha.
I definitely think the return of the College Program could impact the return of Character Dining.

I know that in the past,some of the College Program Cast Members have been EXTREMELY good friends with the Characters. :)

The CPs are going to be invaluable in returning WDW to the WDW we all remember and they are going to be living in some awesome new digs at Flamingo Crossings!

Kinda makes me jealous I don't qualify!lol:)

The work for credit program is back - I was hoping Disney would do away with this menial labor farce. Have had numerous conversations with past college program workers, and they've basically all said the same thing. All they have learned is how to work for a big corporation and keep their mouths shut about abuse. I hope they've tweaked the program enough so the CMs are treated better.

Last edited:

The work for credit program is back - I was hoping Disney would do away with this menial labor farce. Have had numerous conversations with past college program workers, and they've basically all said the same thing. All they have learned is how to work for a big corporation and keep their mouths shut about abuse. I hope they've tweaked the program enough so the CMs are treated better.
I worked for a university for years and had a totally different experience with the program. Our students had very positive feedback, and we always had a waiting list. I think they key word is “work” and some seem to be allergic to the term. As for abuse we have never had any allegations of that sort in many years of being involved in the problem.

I worked for a university for years and had a totally different experience with the program. Our students had very positive feedback, and we always had a waiting list. I think they key word is “work” and some seem to be allergic to the term. As for abuse we have never had any allegations of that sort in many years of being involved in the problem.
Agreed, our DD head nothing but good things to say. She did however mention that some go on DCP thinking it will be a party. Those ended up with the bad attitude

I have 3 kids who all worked on the Disney College Program and enjoyed the experience. Did they have to adjust to having a rigid work schedule and rules? Yes, but they did so. Every term there are a small percentage of participants who choose to self-terminate within a short time of arriving and this option is open to all participants. Nobody is held against their will and abuse can be easily reported. and is handled strictly. Managers have guidelines for working with their college program participants and must adhere or they are the ones getting fired. My son, who had never held a job before and felt the greatest shock, chose to return for a second time.

I wish I knew about this when I was in college. I worked as a waitress from when classes got out at 4pm to midnight many nights on weekdays an all day on many weekends, then had to find time to also study and do homework. That was hard work, and terrible pay, but I learned a lot about customer service, taking pride in a job well done (the tip-as-reward concept is a great positive reinforcement system), and keeping a good attitude when work is hard, and I saved money for law school. Sounds like CP teaches the same things, but at DISNEY. What could be better?

My sister never had a job in college (she was the parents’ favorite) and now every time I talk to her she is griping about work, chasing hobbies which she hopes to monetize and quit her job in the future, and changing jobs every year or two. Some is just personality difference, but I think starting your adult years off with a bit of hard work makes for good work habits.

My son was in the college program 5 years ago. He was "friends with Goofy" and other characters. It was like any other entry-level "job". Hard work, little pay, rigid schedule, every day... Not his first job. He was prepared and had realistic expectations. He had some good and some bad experiences. Some great managers, some not so great. Made many friends. Worked hard. He made the most of it, enjoyed it, learned from it. Came back- finished college. It is a great topic of conversation on his resume...even now as he is looking for his second job. Most interviewers gravitate toward that and he is well-prepared to share his experience.

How condescending can that be? "allergic to work"? They get paid minimum wage, work as menial labor (one job was to stand out in the hot sun to offer to spray people with bug spray during the Zika scare, what's the educational basis behind that?) and as I said before, about all they learned (remember this is a college program, ie educational at a college level) was that they were peons and used as cheap labor. The first post in this thread alludes to that mentality.

How condescending can that be? "allergic to work"? They get paid minimum wage, work as menial labor (one job was to stand out in the hot sun to offer to spray people with bug spray during the Zika scare, what's the educational basis behind that?) and as I said before, about all they learned (remember this is a college program, ie educational at a college level) was that they were peons and used as cheap labor. The first post in this thread alludes to that mentality.
And is it better for "college level" people (which itself is kind of condescending toward people who don't have the luxury of going to college--book learning isn't the only thing that is "educational") to only every work a well-paid, cushy 9-5 job, and be oblivious to the blue collar folks who enable much of what their white collar companies do? Lots of people like that, oblivious to the real impacts of their corporate policies on human beings, and they're the reason Amazon drivers don't get bathroom breaks and we don't have a national minimum wage. I bet most guests going to Disney World don't even think about hard most CMs work--in fact, given how I've seen many guests treat those CMs, I'm SURE they don't think about it. Good life lesson.

My daughter has applied and should be hearing in the next few weeks if she has been accepted. We know several college aged kids who have done this and ALL have talked about what a great experience it was for them. My daughter's University has even worked with her to make sure she gets all the college credit she can from being in DCP (if accepted), and have even set her up with a few on-line classes so she doesn't even fall behind in her college curriculum.

I hope this works out for her! I can't wait to visit her at WDW while she is working!

My daughter has applied and should be hearing in the next few weeks if she has been accepted. We know several college aged kids who have done this and ALL have talked about what a great experience it was for them. My daughter's University has even worked with her to make sure she gets all the college credit she can from being in DCP (if accepted), and have even set her up with a few on-line classes so she doesn't even fall behind in her college curriculum.

I hope this works out for her! I can't wait to visit her at WDW while she is working!
Good luck to your daughter!

The College Program Cast Members always bring so much energy and excitement to WDW and they are GREAT Cast Members!

They meet people from all over the World,make lifelong friends,some are in each other's Weddings and some meet their future Husband or future Wife on the Program!

And having Disney College Program on their Resume is invaluable.

And WHEN(being positive) your daughter is accepted she will live in the awesome new CP Housing!

Flamingo Crossings Village | Disney Cast Member Housing (fcvapartments.com)

Just got back from taking my DD down for the program. Apparently there were 700 new arrivals on Tuesday and they are coming in weekly for the next few months. She will be working at Epcot Festivals and is very excited.
Awesome!

Tell your DD that the Guests are excited too-DCP CMs are always so amazing.

We have talked to so many of them over the years and always come away very impressed with what great people they are.

And always very exciting when we meet a CP from our Colleges!

If I was a CP,I think working the Epcot Festivals would be something I would really enjoy!

Wishing your DD many AMAZING,LIFETIME memories! :)

Based on what relatives and friends of mine who did the program told me, is that in the college program you get the worst shifts that full time and part time worker don't want. If you don't have a car the transportation time can cut into time you have to sleep (late shifts one day and early the next). The special programs / lectures / etc. you don't really have time for (you are too exhausted). It's fun though to be in Orlando with so many others. You meet people from all over and make some great friends. One of my relatives roomed with kids from different countries who worked at Epcot (foreign version of college program). (One of my relatives too called it slave labor for Disney that you enjoy, but you are ready to move on when it's over). // It's actually pretty brilliant of Disney I think to have come up with this as a way to deal with labor shortages. And they get pretty good people too as so many think it sounds like fun, so it's actually a competitive program to get into and Disney can be selective about who they pick for the relatively menial jobs (actually pass on some really good people even) and get people cheaply who will deliver good customer service and enjoy the experience.

Why is that any different than my first entry level job as a teen at a fast food restaurant? Cleaning toilets, mopping floors and washing dishes weren’t fun either, but I wasn’t expecting to be paid for doing nothing. In a few weeks I was promoted to cashier since I showed I was a hard worker. My brother who decided not to go to college become a supervisor then a district manager making six figures after a few years at the same restaurant. Of course teens will be disappointed if they think they will start out their careers at the top making big bucks. To learn a business inside and out you have to start at the bottom and learn all facets of a company.

I did the college program in 97 and then advanced internship in 2000. Once I heard about the college program I knew I really wanted to do the advanced internship YES program. My experience was wonderful. Yes, it was work and if you spend your money you may come back with no money saved but the experience was one I will always remember. I worked with the best group of people that I'm still in contact with today. I also volunteered every week during my advanced internship at Give Kids the World. During my college program it was hard to get in to volunteer because it was on certain days of the week and times that most people are working. The sign ups went quickly. During my advanced internship I was able to work it out that I would consistently have those days and times available. The college program is what you make of it. I wasn't a big party person and was under age at the time. I elected to live in a wellness apt (no drinking allowed inside) and that worked because in order to be in the apt. you had already decided you would not be drinking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter