Clothing for cold weather

kniquy

DIS Veteran
I am getting into a better more consistent routine of running in the morning. This morning i wore a sweatshirt because it was chilly, but then i get too warm. I am looking for suggestions of lighter clothing that will still keep you warm, but would also be light and easy to take off and tie around my waist if i get too warm.

Most brands of athletic apparel, UA, Nike, Brooks, etc, make cold weather gear that are also wicking. The come in a variety of thickness as a well. There's more insulated ones, thinner ones, rain gear, wind breakers, etc. If you have a brand preference I would suggest looking there first. Otherwise, just find a sporting goods store of choice and look at a variety of items, and select what you think will work best for you.

Here is my running apparel going from warmest weather to coldest:

Top Side
1 layer: short-sleeve synthetic t-shirt
1 layer: long-sleeve synthetic t-shirt
2 layers: half-zip synthetic (or running fleece) over a long-sleeve synthetic t-shirt
2 layers: running jacket over a long-sleeve synthetic t-shirt
3 layers: running jacket over half-zip synthetic over a long-sleeve synthetic t-shirt
more than 3 layers needed: treadmill

Bottom Side
1 layer: shorts
1 layer: running tights
2 layers: warm-up pants over running tights

I also wear running gloves if it's below about 40°F and a hat if it's below about 25°F. Last year, I also bought a running facemask for times when a hat just doesn't cut it (really cold or high winds).

Last edited:
Similar to @opusone I layer up with lighter layers. I also follow the rule of thought that you want to dress like it's 20 degrees warmer than it actually is outside - you'll be cool at the start but as you keeping going, you'll warm up and will feel more comfortable (and hopefully not have to shed layers later on).

I also follow the rule of thought that you want to dress like it's 20 degrees warmer than it actually is outside
That is a great idea! My legs can tolerate more cold than the top of me so at mid 30s my top will be freezing but my legs ok. I will keep this in mind when figuring out my layers. I definitely need to invest in some good gear that is wicking and lightweight.

I've been dreading training for the PHM over the winter -- this post was helpful! I think I need to invest in some running tights so I can keep wearing my running skirts over the winter!

It also depends on how cold we're talking. I'm not sure where you live but if it's more Autumn weather than actual cold Winter weather, I just add arm sleeves and roll them down when I've warmed up.

I never ran with anything I had to shed or run with tied around my waist (I trained in Texas during the summer and fall, and central Florida during the winter so no real need), and my first race when I did was the 5K of Dopey and it bugged me to no end. I tried to hold on to the jacket for as long as I could (it was a black Danskin jacket from WalMart - so cheap, yes, but it was also my favorite) and it ended up getting ditched by the side of the road before the Mile 1 marker. So, now I don't spend money or run in anything I'm not willing to live the rest of my life without. Lesson learned.

Stay hard, black jacket. I hope someone somewhere appreciates you!

For training, I usually just layer running shirts, sometimes as many as 4. I generally run loops so I am back at the car every 3-6 miles to ditch the excess. An ear band and a running cap are way better (doesn't get as hot) than a 'burglar' hat.

For a race, I never wear anything I'm not willing to ditch. I'll wear an old long sleeve running shirt with the bottom cut off so my number shows and/or homemade arm warmers (cheap knee socks with finger/thumb holes), and throw-away hats.

Great tool! The only thing missing is 'Age'. Cold is different when you're 50+ than when you're 20.

Although, I'd be mad if it suggested 'Cardigan'.
I think that this is where that wisdom is supposed to kick in. For instance, when I run I make sure that I am carrying my phone if the conditions are too cold because walking once you have worked up a good sweat can get you killed, and a tweaked hamstring or calf can force you to a walk. I also carry a mylar blanket on those runs. But I don't really change what I wear on the run itself - just what I carry.

Oh, for the days/years gone by when injuries were not something that I had to worry about and plan for constantly.

I find http://dressmyrun.com/ quite helpful in deciding what to where. It even has a dropdown that lets you decided whether you want to be hot or cooler and 'normal'. The one falling I find it has is: for bottoms the most it will give you is tights, no matter how cold it is. but I find the top guide to be quite good.

For freezing windy cold I wear a balaclava (face mask/hood thing). Also my ear headband. I also just layer up like others said, bottom layer is a drywick long sleeve and tights, then a cotton long sleeve, then windpants & a running rain jacket that really keeps the wind out. I wear mittens on my hands. My toes freeze which I haven't figured out how to stop. I put a handwarmer heatpack by my phone as real cold kills my battery so that helps some.

For just mild cold weather, than it's usually just tights and jacket and ear headband, maybe gloves.

I don't follow any tools for knowing what to wear it's all been by trial & error of the years because what's cold to me may not be cold to others.

I find http://dressmyrun.com/ quite helpful in deciding what to where. It even has a dropdown that lets you decided whether you want to be hot or cooler and 'normal'. The one falling I find it has is: for bottoms the most it will give you is tights, no matter how cold it is. but I find the top guide to be quite good.
I input 10 degrees F with a light wind and it recommended tights, but it also said this "When it's extremely cold, a combination of pants over top of tights will give you the most warmth and still keep you comfortable." I guess that they are telling you to judge for yourself whether or not you need a shell over the tights. FWIW, It has be be below 10 degrees F with strong winds for me to add shells over my running tights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter