Closing Time!

Curious how this went? I went through chat yesterday and today - was told can't do anything. My trip is soon, like end of this month soon...we have a room booked but would rather use points instead of out of pocket.
I’d try to chat or call again. My membership showed yesterday with zero points. I received the email yesterday. I did a chat this afternoon and was told to wait a week for the points to load. Then the CM asked me to hold on while she contacted the appropriate team to see if they could load them sooner. Waited about 15 mins and it was done. Trying again can’t hurt.

Final update. Sorry about the distorted format
Home Resort: BLT
Broker: *******.com
TitleCompany:http://www.duncanrealtyandescrow.com/
Offer made: 4/4/2023
Offer accepted:4/4/2023
Sent to ROFR: 4/6
Passed ROFR:4/25
Closing docs received: 5/7
Closing docs returned: 5/12 (title company received from me as buyer):
Closing:5/16
Deed recorded:5/16
Contract Showing on Membership (existing member): 6/5
Points in account: 6/6 after doing chat
Days total: 63

Home Resort: Grand Floridian Villas
Broker: https://www.fidelityrealestate.com
Title Company: https://www.masontitle.com
Offer made: 4/5/23
Offer accepted: 4/6/23
Sent to ROFR: 4/11/23
Passed ROFR: 4/28/23
Closing documents received: 5/2/23
Buyer's closing documents returned by FedEx: 5/3/23
Buyer’s closing documents/check received by title company: 5/5/23
Seller’s closing documents (International seller) received by title company: 5/18/23
Closing: 5/24/23
Deed recorded: 5/25/23
Contract showing on existing Membership with same use year: 6/6/23
Points in account: 6/6/23 by way of Chat :cloud9:

Total Days from offer made to points loaded in my account: 62 days

One very weird thing is that when my points were loaded, I found there are 40 December 2022 use points that are in holding which need to be used before 11/30/2023. As holding points, they have to be booked 60 days or less before the new Check-in date. This is the first I heard of these 40 holding points.

I called and according to the Member Service cast member I spoke with: "We are not able to change the status of Vacation Points purchased via resale. They came into your Membership as Holding Points for the 2022 Use Year and that is how they must stay." I took a screen shot of his reply so this is a direct quote.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? Do you think it might make a difference if I call Member Services? Should this have been picked up during a title search or Estoppel? I know I can try to rent the points or make a reservation to rent as well.

Home Resort: VGC
Broker:
Title Company: www.masontitle.com
Offer made: 5/5/23
Offer accepted: 5/5/23
Sent to ROFR: 5/6/23
Passed ROFR: 5/30/23
Closing docs received: 5/31/23
Closing docs returned (buyer): 5/31/23
Closing docs returned (seller): 6/6/23 (based on email received from sales associate)
Closing: Expected to close on 6/12/23 or sooner (based on email received from sales associate) - Will update with actual closing date.
Deed recorded: TBD
Contract Showing on Membership (existing member): TBD
Points in account: TBD

Days Total (so far): 32 days

Final Update!

Home Resort: CCV
Broker: www.**********.com
Title Company: www.masontitle.com
Offer made: 3/17
Offer accepted: 3/23
Sent to ROFR: 3/24
Passed ROFR: 3/31
Closing docs received: 4/4
Closing docs returned: 4/4 (Buyer), 5/4 (Seller)
Closing: 5/11
Deed recorded: 5/19
Contract Showing on Membership (new member): 6/3
Points in account: 6/6

Total Days from offer made to points loaded in my account: 81

One very weird thing is that when my points were loaded, I found there are 40 December 2022 use points that are in holding which need to be used before 11/30/2023. As holding points, they have to be booked 60 days or less before the new Check-in date. This is the first I heard of these 40 holding points.

I called and according to the Member Service cast member I spoke with: "We are not able to change the status of Vacation Points purchased via resale. They came into your Membership as Holding Points for the 2022 Use Year and that is how they must stay." I took a screen shot of his reply so this is a direct quote.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? Do you think it might make a difference if I call Member Services? Should this have been picked up during a title search or Estoppel? I know I can try to rent the points or make a reservation to rent as well.
Someone mentioned this in another thread, although in her case, they were points that weren't actually part of the contract, by which I mean that say she was buying 150 points, she still got the 150 points but there were some additional points in holding. Kind of a bonus. If the 40 points in your case were part of what you thought would be unrestricted points, then in my view you need to address this with the broker. If they are just a nice bonus, then great!

Home Resort: Grand Floridian Villas
Broker: https://www.fidelityrealestate.com
Title Company: https://www.masontitle.com
Offer accepted: 4/6/23
Sent to ROFR: 4/11/23
Passed ROFR: 4/28/23
Closing documents received: 5/2/23
Buyer's closing documents returned by FedEx: 5/3/23
Buyer’s closing documents/check received by title company: 5/5/23
Seller’s closing documents (International seller) received by title company: 5/18/23
Contract showing on existing Membership with same use year: 6/6/23
Points in account: 6/6/23 by way of Chat :cloud9:

Total Days from offer made to points loaded in my account: 62 days

Are they 40 points more than were promised, or were you led to believe you'd receive 40 regular points? It might be worth calling member services to see what they say (it never hurts). If they are 40 points above and beyond what you expected, then I wouldn't worry about it too much - just take is as a bonus. It probably comes from a reservation the seller had which was cancelled when the contract was sold.

If they were points that were promised to you as regular points - check your contract. Some contracts stipulate a penalty fee if the seller doesn't provide the points that were in the listing / original sales contract. I know I asked for it to be added to my current contract at $25 per point missing. Not sure how that would work with points in holding, but might be something the broker can help you with.

I don't think when Disney issues an estoppel they check points, they only tell you if the seller owes any dues or money for other reasons. The only thing that would show it would be screenshots from the seller that are provided to the selling agent. I could be wrong, but I believe that is how it works.

Someone mentioned this in another thread, although in her case, they were points that weren't actually part of the contract, by which I mean that say she was buying 150 points, she still got the 150 points but there were some additional points in holding. Kind of a bonus. If the 40 points in your case were part of what you thought would be unrestricted points, then in my view you need to address this with the broker. If they are just a nice bonus, then great!
I received all the points that were listed in my contract, including the full 2022 points that I didn't have to pay any dues on :cool1: So these 40 points are, as you so nicely put it, bonus points :yay: I am just wondering if there is any possible way to add them to my account as regular points :rolleyes1

Are they 40 points more than were promised, or were you led to believe you'd receive 40 regular points? It might be worth calling member services to see what they say (it never hurts). If they are 40 points above and beyond what you expected, then I wouldn't worry about it too much - just take is as a bonus. It probably comes from a reservation the seller had which was cancelled when the contract was sold.

If they were points that were promised to you as regular points - check your contract. Some contracts stipulate a penalty fee if the seller doesn't provide the points that were in the listing / original sales contract. I know I asked for it to be added to my current contract at $25 per point missing. Not sure how that would work with points in holding, but might be something the broker can help you with.

I don't think when Disney issues an estoppel they check points, they only tell you if the seller owes any dues or money for other reasons. The only thing that would show it would be screenshots from the seller that are provided to the selling agent. I could be wrong, but I believe that is how it works.
These 40 holding points were not mentioned in the contract at all. I just reread it to be sure I wasn't missing anything! I did receive all the points that were listed on the contract plus these 40 bonus points! As such, I paid no dues on them. If I were a local, it would be easier to book something within 60 days as required by the holding rules.

These 40 holding points were not mentioned in the contract at all. I just reread it to be sure I wasn't missing anything! I did receive all the points that were listed on the contract plus these 40 bonus points! As such, I paid no dues on them. If I were a local, it would be easier to book something within 60 days as required by the holding rules.

They very rarely remove the holding penalty for points and given that is how they entered your account…meaning it wasn’t due to an emergency cancel you had to make due to unforeseen circumstances, it is unlikely.

Never hurts to call MS since all they can say is no.

They very rarely remove the holding penalty for points and given that is how they entered your account…meaning it wasn’t due to an emergency cancel you had to make due to unforeseen circumstances, it is unlikely.

Never hurts to call MS since all they can say is no.
Thanks for verifying what the cast member told me. I have never had holding points so this is all new to me.

Thanks for verifying what the cast member told me. I have never had holding points so this is all new to me.
If you are a current member and already have a reservation then you can try to reallocate the holding points yourself. Then you can use the holding points and free up regular points.

**Update**

Home Resort: BLT
Broker: https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/
Title Company: https://magicvacationtitle.com/
Offer made: 4/11
Offer accepted: 4/12
Sent to ROFR: 4/13
Passed ROFR: 5/1
Closing docs received: 5/24
Closing docs returned: 5/25 (Buyer), 5/30 (Seller), Funds Wired (5/31)
Closing: 6/6
Deed recorded: 6/7
Contract Showing on Membership (existing member):
Points in account:

Days Total:

If you are a current member and already have a reservation then you can try to reallocate the holding points yourself. Then you can use the holding points and free up regular points.
Neat idea really - wouldn't have thought about reallocating the points towards an existing reservation.

Final Update :banana:

Home Resort: Boardwalk Villas
Broker: dvcresalemarket.com
Title Company: magicvacationtitle.com
Offer made: 03/24
Offer accepted: 3/25
Sent to ROFR: 3/26
Passed ROFR: 4/04 (9 days)
Estoppel Issued: 4/04
Closing docs received: 5/05
Closing docs returned: 5/05 (buyer, funds wired 5/05)
Closing: 5/18
Deed recorded: 5/19
Contract Showing on Membership (new member): 06/04/23
Points in account: 6/05/23

Days Total: 73 days

Last edited:
*UPDATE*
Home Resort: Saratoga Springs
Broker: https://dvcsales.com/
Title Company: https://www.masontitle.com/
Offer accepted: 4/5/23
Sent to ROFR: 4/6/23
Passed ROFR: 5/8/23
Closing docs received: 5/12/23
Closing docs returned: 5/15/23 (buyer), 5/16 (seller), funds wired 5/17
Contract Showing on Membership: 6/7/23
Points in account:

Days Total so far: 63

Time to get the countdown started! We're sitting at 37 days right now

Home Resort: Saratoga Springs Resort
Broker: Fidelity fidelityrealestate.com
Title Company: Mason https://www.masontitle.com/
Offer made: 5/1/23
Offer accepted: 5/2/23
Sent to ROFR: 5/5/23
Passed ROFR: 5/30/23
Closing docs received: 6/2/23
Closing docs returned (Buyer): 6/6/23 (Wire sent 6/7/23)
Closing:
Deed recorded:
Contract Showing on Membership (new member):
Points in account:

Days Total:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter