(CLOSED) Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE and VILLAS INFORMATION THREAD ~11/13 - 6/14~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phew, I was wondering when you'd find us:hug:. Now, if we can just get you to book something so I can add you to the LL::yes::

Oh, I'm never too far away! ;)
I like the 'Opening Day' pic! That's quite a find! :)
The new thread is like a breath of fresh air!!!!

Here's a question that I was wondering. Since this is our second time going to WL, should we look at 'experiencing' a new view or is it bad that I want to be around the same room (or even have the same room) that we had last time?

My DH says he doesn't care where we are put, but since I am the one organizing the trip I feel like the responsible one :P

Opinions?

What's right is what makes you happy!!:goodvibes

We've stayed (luckily) at WL 6 times. We have our favorite spot and stick to it.
Don't get too stuck on the room number tho. Requesting for example ' ________ view, near room # xxxx' usually works pretty well. :thumbsup2

Love the thread, KOOK :goodvibes.....as always, another amazing job :thumbsup2.
Awww, thanks so much, mickeynut1. You're always a positive and cheery Bay Lake poster:)

Here's a question that I was wondering. Since this is our second time going to WL, should we look at 'experiencing' a new view or is it bad that I want to be around the same room (or even have the same room) that we had last time?

My DH says he doesn't care where we are put, but since I am the one organizing the trip I feel like the responsible one :P

Opinions?
IMHO, it's not bad at all to want the same room, but it could be difficult to get the same room. CuteAsMinnie's advice is perfect. This way the Room Assignor will know that you really liked that particular room, but if it isn't available, they will know why you liked it and can try and place you in a similar room. For example, if you liked it because of the view, floor number, proximity to something… these are worth mentioning in addition to the room number. Since DH doesn't care, go ahead and make your requests, just make sure you also book the room category that corresponds with your requests. Good luck!

Oh, I'm never too far away! ;)
I like the 'Opening Day' pic! That's quite a find! :)
The new thread is like a breath of fresh air!!!!
You noticed! On our last stay in August, I was privileged to meet Van, an Original Cast Member, (he helped build the utilidors), who is a wood craftsman extraordinaire:

Van surprised me with a spur of the moment tour of a resort area that has an opening day photo on the wall. Since it was spur of the moment, I only had my iPhone with me so the photo isn't great, but what a great piece of WL history. And, as you know, WL will be celebrating its 20th anniversary next year, so maybe they'll take another group photo:confused3

Wow, I'm not surprised you had to create a new thread while we were away having fun! We didn't have a computer with us so I'm not caught up yet but thought I'd try to post here and keep up from this point. Photos will come later but I concentrated on grandson and don't really have significant lodge photos to add to your collection. An 8 year old kept this 68 year old much more active than her arthritic body is used to! Thank heavens for leftover pain pills from orthopedic surgery :faint:

We arrived home last night following our 1 week stay at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Here is just a quick recap of our trip taken November 14 – 21, 2013.
We flew into MCO and took the Magical Express. From stepping off the plane to arrival at WL took around 80 minutes. ME dropped off passengers at the Poly and GF before WL. Check-in went smoothly with no lines. We had booked Woods View with bunk beds. I requested 5th floor, North Wing, Wishes view. We were given room 4020 which is in North Wing and it had a fairly good view of Wishes through the trees. I had also asked for special cleaning due to allergies. In February we had asked for special cleaning at Port Orleans Riverside and that room was spotless. This was not the case at WL. The major dirt was the floor of the closet that had been completely missed. I discovered that as I dropped DH’s navy pants while I was trying to clip them onto a hanger and they fell to the floor and were instantly covered in dust and long hair. Other than that, the room was fine and DGS enjoyed having the top bunk to sleep in and the lower bunk to spread some of his stuff on. We still found him taking over our bed to play on at various points, lol.

Our Magic Bands worked perfectly for everything; room entry, charges & most importantly FP+. We were all issued KTTW cards at check-in and I pulled some regular FPs with those.

Crowds were low, as expected, during our week. Toy Story Midway Mania was the only Fast Pass attraction that had no passes left for the day by around 10 am so I’m glad we were able to book FP+ for that one especially. We were able to pull extra FPs for Soarin as late as 3:30 pm with a return time of 6:20 – 7:20 pm. We had FP+ for Soarin between 10 – 11 am and could have pulled extra FPs then but they were for a time we’d be in World Showcase. Our other FP+ in EP were TT & MS in the afternoon but their stand-by waits were only 10 – 15 minutes when we used our FP+. So MS was another attraction we did twice in a row.

Magic Kingdom was the park we visited twice, while AK, EP & DHS were each done once. The only rope drop we made was day 1 for the MK. Therefore, FP+ worked especially nice for us. On Big Thunder Mountain DGS learned that he did not like “big” roller coasters screaming that he wanted to get off only ¼ of the way through the ride. So I knew then to use MDE to change experiences in place of Space Mountain and that he could skip the single rider lines for RNRC and Dinosaur which we didn’t plan on doing ourselves. Splash Mountain was such a hit that we did it 4 times! Surprisingly, the stand-by wait was only 10 minutes when we were there.

We only had one mostly rainy day which was Saturday, the 16th. We did Animal Kingdom that day and shortened our itinerary there due to the hassle of being in and out of our ponchos. I’m glad we got to see FOTLK, a favorite show of mine, since it will be on hiatus prior to its move to new location when DH & I return in February. Also, the animals on Kilimanjaro Safaris were all out and about in the rain including the male lion and two lionesses. We also saw the zebras while on KS this time. We abandoned our plans for our favorite CS (Flame Tree BBQ) due to the rain but walked in and were seated at Yak & Yeti which still had plenty of space at 11:30 am. They were full by the time we finished our lunch. Not knowing if the Jingle Jangle Parade would go on due to the rain we left the park around 3 pm and grandson got a lot of homework done once we got back to our room.

Special Magical experience thanks to staff at WL: Travis checked us in and I inquired about rooftop Wishes viewing. He did some checking and set that up for us for Nov. 15th which was a MVMCP night with the larger fireworks show. We reported to the Concierge Desk at 9:15 pm and Samuel took us up to the 7th floor. From there we walked through a door and up the stairs to the 7 1/2th floor. The next door leads outside and you walk up several more steps outdoors to a small section of rooftop. We were the only ones up there with Samuel who said this is his favorite part of working at WL. Seeing all of Magic Kingdom lit up and watching the fireworks from here was truly beautiful. Of course, you also can see the CR and if you turn around 180 degrees you can see Spaceship Earth in the far distance.

Pixie Dusted in DHS by a CM near Star Tours who gave DGS a FP for up to 3 guests for one more trip on Star Tours any time that day. This was after we had gone stand-by once and used our FP+ for a second consecutive ride.

Pixie dusted a second time by WL when we requested late check out on our departure day since we did not have to be ready for ME to MCO until 1 pm. We were given an extra hour to noon. We just made that. DGS got his extra 75 minutes in the pool in the morning and showered in our room after. We took our roll aboards into RF to grab our lunches and then had just enough time for Photo Pass shots in front of the WL Christmas tree.

Lifetime memories continued as we were in the jet way to board our flight home and the captain passed by us. I mentioned to him that this trip had been the first one for our grandson to remember because his only other flights were when he was a year old. The captain then spoke to Jason and told him to take a left turn when he stepped on the plane and come to visit him to see how he flew the plane. J. was invited to sit in the co-pilot’s seat, I was surprised how much time the captain took talking with him & showing him how the controls work etc. Such a kind gesture of that fine gentleman.

I'll try to keep up with this new thread to answer any questions.

What's right is what makes you happy!!:goodvibes

We've stayed (luckily) at WL 6 times. We have our favorite spot and stick to it.
Don't get too stuck on the room number tho. Requesting for example ' ________ view, near room # xxxx' usually works pretty well. :thumbsup2

IMHO, it's not bad at all to want the same room, but it could be difficult to get the same room. CuteAsMinnie's advice is perfect. This way the Room Assignor will know that you really liked that particular room, but if it isn't available, they will know why you liked it and can try and place you in a similar room. For example, if you liked it because of the view, floor number, proximity to something… these are worth mentioning in addition to the room number. Since DH doesn't care, go ahead and make your requests, just make sure you also book the room category that corresponds with your requests. Good luck!

Appreciate the advice! I actually called last week to see about putting in a request to be as close as we were last time, and even had them put the room# in. If we get the same room, cool, if not, that's cool too because we are at Disney and WL :rolleyes1:thumbsup2

And we are a courtyard view which is the same we had last time. I know some folks can't stand the 'noise' from the pool or the geyser or the boat whistle, but I loved it and my DH who is usually not as giddy as I am about WDW actually agreed and liked it too.

I love how you are all so helpful!:grouphug:

Kook - everything looks amazing on here as always. Can you please add us with our trips for next year? We will be at the Lodge from 4/20-4/26 and then again 11/9-11/15.

Today is our last day here and we head back home tomorrow. My mother has had a bad cold the last few days and has stayed in the room, so it was good we didn't move rooms. The couch and mini kitchen have come in handy.

You did a great job with the new thread, KOOK! I love the new pictures and all of the extra information. I found myself learning a few new things, too. :)

Thanks for the detailed trip report, Kathy. I bet your grandson had a great time with those bunkbeds. :)

Love the new thread:thumbsup2 I reread all the intro material again and found new details that I'd missed previously! 18 more days until I see the Christmas Tree and check out the Berry Cobler:goodvibes

12 more nights and we will finally be at Disney! This is our first trip to WDW as a family, the first time my husband and I will visit as adults, the first time my girls have ever been, our first time at WL.....so excited I can hardly contain myself! And my oldest daughter is turning five! I know it is going to be an absolutely magical trip! Any last minute tips or tricks I should know about WL or the parks??? Thanks for letting me share my excitement :cheer2:

I have a question about the noise level of the bear face rooms, has anyone stayed there? Looks like a great view, and being able to walk out and see the lobby would be awesome too! Not sure if I posted this correctly, someone suggested I ask on this thread. Thanks

LOVE THE NEW THREAD!!! I've learned lots of new things already!! We arrive in a little over two months for our first Disney Deluxe vacation...I am wondering if there is a certain area I should try and request. We have a woods view with bunk beds reserved. What area would any of you suggest if I decide to request a specific area or room or view?? :confused3.

Also...should I check in online or better to check in at the hotel upon arrival?? Which am I more likely to get requests if I make any!?! I know nothing is guaranteed but a little disney magic/pixie dust would be great!!!:yay:

TIA everyone!!!

LOVE THE NEW THREAD!!! I've learned lots of new things already!! We arrive in a little over two months for our first Disney Deluxe vacation...I am wondering if there is a certain area I should try and request. We have a woods view with bunk beds reserved. What area would any of you suggest if I decide to request a specific area or room or view?? :confused3.

Also...should I check in online or better to check in at the hotel upon arrival?? Which am I more likely to get requests if I make any!?! I know nothing is guaranteed but a little disney magic/pixie dust would be great!!!:yay:

TIA everyone!!!

As far as a area to request, it depends on what you are looking for. Close to the elevator? Higher floor? View of castle? Etc. And I have found it is best to word your request so that it explains what you want.

Whether you check in online or not has zero affect on whether your requests are met.:thumbsup2

As far as a area to request, it depends on what you are looking for. Close to the elevator? Higher floor? View of castle? Etc. And I have found it is best to word your request so that it explains what you want.

Whether you check in online or not has zero affect on whether your requests are met.:thumbsup2
Thanks for the quick response!!! I think you're right...just ask for exactly what I decide on and hope for the best!!!

I have a question about the noise level of the bear face rooms, has anyone stayed there? Looks like a great view, and being able to walk out and see the lobby would be awesome too! Not sure if I posted this correctly, someone suggested I ask on this thread. Thanks

We have not been lucky enough to have a Bear Face room, but they are the ultimate location in our opinion. We have stayed in a room that opens to the lobby on the sixth floor twice and love the location because of the great view.

As far as noise is concerned, others have expressed a preference to be further from the WCC restaurant in the lobby, and you can hear commotion from it at peak times (like 5-8 PM), but we could only barely hear it with the door closed, and there was no noise by the time we were ready to sleep. These rooms have a beautiful view towards Bay Lake as well, but are far enough from the pool that they should be protected from most of the afternoon pool party noise that is common from 2-4 PM.

Our opinion is that there isn't a truly bad room at WL, but if we could have our choice of any one it would be a Bear Face room, probably on the fifth floor. :)

Just an FWIW:
I called resort reservations to apply a few gift cards to our reservation and decided to check to see what they had listed as our room preferences. When I originally booked the room I had requested north wing, but when I did online check in, that wasn't an option. It seems as if whatever the room preference that you choose during online check in will override the earlier request. So I had the CM add back my preference of north wing.

He also asked if we are celebrating anything and I told him that Dec 1st is the 40th anniversary of the day DH and I met. It was a blind date for a college dance. I figured that it was a good enough reason to celebrate. :goodvibes

12 more nights and we will finally be at Disney! This is our first trip to WDW as a family, the first time my husband and I will visit as adults, the first time my girls have ever been, our first time at WL.....so excited I can hardly contain myself! And my oldest daughter is turning five! I know it is going to be an absolutely magical trip! Any last minute tips or tricks I should know about WL or the parks??? Thanks for letting me share my excitement :cheer2:

What a wonderful trip you will have! My only tip is this: Go to the beat of your DDs. Enjoy their pace and listen to their 'I need a break' cues and relax! You will have a magical time!!!:goodvibes

Just an FWIW:
I called resort reservations to apply a few gift cards to our reservation and decided to check to see what they had listed as our room preferences. When I originally booked the room I had requested north wing, but when I did online check in, that wasn't an option. It seems as if whatever the room preference that you choose during online check in will override the earlier request. So I had the CM add back my preference of north wing.

He also asked if we are celebrating anything and I told him that Dec 1st is the 40th anniversary of the day DH and I met. It was a blind date for a college dance. I figured that it was a good enough reason to celebrate. :goodvibes

Happy 40th Anniversary of your First Meet! Not too many of us celebrate such things! ;) How wonderful!! Ours will be 35 in Feb! :goodvibes

Wow, I'm not surprised you had to create a new thread while we were away having fun! We didn't have a computer with us so I'm not caught up yet but thought I'd try to post here and keep up from this point. Photos will come later but I concentrated on grandson and don't really have significant lodge photos to add to your collection. An 8 year old kept this 68 year old much more active than her arthritic body is used to! Thank heavens for leftover pain pills from orthopedic surgery :faint:

We arrived home last night following our 1 week stay at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Here is just a quick recap of our trip taken November 14 – 21, 2013.
We flew into MCO and took the Magical Express. From stepping off the plane to arrival at WL took around 80 minutes. ME dropped off passengers at the Poly and GF before WL. Check-in went smoothly with no lines. We had booked Woods View with bunk beds. I requested 5th floor, North Wing, Wishes view. We were given room 4020 which is in North Wing and it had a fairly good view of Wishes through the trees. I had also asked for special cleaning due to allergies. In February we had asked for special cleaning at Port Orleans Riverside and that room was spotless. This was not the case at WL. The major dirt was the floor of the closet that had been completely missed. I discovered that as I dropped DH’s navy pants while I was trying to clip them onto a hanger and they fell to the floor and were instantly covered in dust and long hair. Other than that, the room was fine and DGS enjoyed having the top bunk to sleep in and the lower bunk to spread some of his stuff on. We still found him taking over our bed to play on at various points, lol.

Our Magic Bands worked perfectly for everything; room entry, charges & most importantly FP+. We were all issued KTTW cards at check-in and I pulled some regular FPs with those.

Crowds were low, as expected, during our week. Toy Story Midway Mania was the only Fast Pass attraction that had no passes left for the day by around 10 am so I’m glad we were able to book FP+ for that one especially. We were able to pull extra FPs for Soarin as late as 3:30 pm with a return time of 6:20 – 7:20 pm. We had FP+ for Soarin between 10 – 11 am and could have pulled extra FPs then but they were for a time we’d be in World Showcase. Our other FP+ in EP were TT & MS in the afternoon but their stand-by waits were only 10 – 15 minutes when we used our FP+. So MS was another attraction we did twice in a row.

Magic Kingdom was the park we visited twice, while AK, EP & DHS were each done once. The only rope drop we made was day 1 for the MK. Therefore, FP+ worked especially nice for us. On Big Thunder Mountain DGS learned that he did not like “big” roller coasters screaming that he wanted to get off only ¼ of the way through the ride. So I knew then to use MDE to change experiences in place of Space Mountain and that he could skip the single rider lines for RNRC and Dinosaur which we didn’t plan on doing ourselves. Splash Mountain was such a hit that we did it 4 times! Surprisingly, the stand-by wait was only 10 minutes when we were there.

We only had one mostly rainy day which was Saturday, the 16th. We did Animal Kingdom that day and shortened our itinerary there due to the hassle of being in and out of our ponchos. I’m glad we got to see FOTLK, a favorite show of mine, since it will be on hiatus prior to its move to new location when DH & I return in February. Also, the animals on Kilimanjaro Safaris were all out and about in the rain including the male lion and two lionesses. We also saw the zebras while on KS this time. We abandoned our plans for our favorite CS (Flame Tree BBQ) due to the rain but walked in and were seated at Yak & Yeti which still had plenty of space at 11:30 am. They were full by the time we finished our lunch. Not knowing if the Jingle Jangle Parade would go on due to the rain we left the park around 3 pm and grandson got a lot of homework done once we got back to our room.

Special Magical experience thanks to staff at WL: Travis checked us in and I inquired about rooftop Wishes viewing. He did some checking and set that up for us for Nov. 15th which was a MVMCP night with the larger fireworks show. We reported to the Concierge Desk at 9:15 pm and Samuel took us up to the 7th floor. From there we walked through a door and up the stairs to the 7 1/2th floor. The next door leads outside and you walk up several more steps outdoors to a small section of rooftop. We were the only ones up there with Samuel who said this is his favorite part of working at WL. Seeing all of Magic Kingdom lit up and watching the fireworks from here was truly beautiful. Of course, you also can see the CR and if you turn around 180 degrees you can see Spaceship Earth in the far distance.

Pixie Dusted in DHS by a CM near Star Tours who gave DGS a FP for up to 3 guests for one more trip on Star Tours any time that day. This was after we had gone stand-by once and used our FP+ for a second consecutive ride.

Pixie dusted a second time by WL when we requested late check out on our departure day since we did not have to be ready for ME to MCO until 1 pm. We were given an extra hour to noon. We just made that. DGS got his extra 75 minutes in the pool in the morning and showered in our room after. We took our roll aboards into RF to grab our lunches and then had just enough time for Photo Pass shots in front of the WL Christmas tree.

Lifetime memories continued as we were in the jet way to board our flight home and the captain passed by us. I mentioned to him that this trip had been the first one for our grandson to remember because his only other flights were when he was a year old. The captain then spoke to Jason and told him to take a left turn when he stepped on the plane and come to visit him to see how he flew the plane. J. was invited to sit in the co-pilot’s seat, I was surprised how much time the captain took talking with him & showing him how the controls work etc. Such a kind gesture of that fine gentleman.

I'll try to keep up with this new thread to answer any questions.
WOW! What precious memories you and some Pixie Dust Sprinklers made for your DGS. Other than the closet floor being omitted by the special cleaning, I would call your vacation a great success. Thank you for posting about your first stay at WL. Do you have plans to return?

As an aside: Since you mentioned Flame Tree, it reminded me to remind everyone that they actually accept Tables in Wonderland. Our FTBBQ CM at check-out last summer didn't even know this, but a manager did. It's great getting 20% off everything (including their Safari Amber beer on tap) at a counter service/QS location. Also, Y&Y does not accept TiW, but they do offer a 10% Passholder/AP discount at both lunch and dinner.

Kook - everything looks amazing on here as always. Can you please add us with our trips for next year? We will be at the Lodge from 4/20-4/26 and then again 11/9-11/15.

Today is our last day here and we head back home tomorrow. My mother has had a bad cold the last few days and has stayed in the room, so it was good we didn't move rooms. The couch and mini kitchen have come in handy.
Thank you, Rebecca and YIPPEE for two booked trip in 2014! Were you able to apply a discount to Spring Break? Did you book CL again? I hope your mom feels better soon.

You did a great job with the new thread, KOOK! I love the new pictures and all of the extra information. I found myself learning a few new things, too. :)

Thanks for the detailed trip report, Kathy. I bet your grandson had a great time with those bunkbeds. :)
Thank you, Wood Nymph. You're always so helpful:goodvibes

Love the new thread:thumbsup2 I reread all the intro material again and found new details that I'd missed previously! 18 more days until I see the Christmas Tree and check out the Berry Cobler:goodvibes
I'm glad you love your new thread and your trip is coming up so soon! Are you getting berry cobbler at AP, CL or Territory Lounge? (Or all of the above;))

What an epic trip of firsts! Were you able to squeeze them all in to your reservation? Hope you'll check-in with us soon and let us know how much fun everyone is having:)

:welcome: to the DIS and the WL/VWL thread, smtowngrl!

We've not stayed in a Bear Face room, but we have stayed in rooms on the CL's 7th floor that directly look out to the WL courtyard. Are you concerned about the noise from the pool party in the afternoon? If your door is closed, it's not very audible, but you will hear some music and/or CMs on the PA system. The only way to avoid this is to not book a Courtyard View. But, I think the WL CV is the best view at WL because you can see the geyser erupting on the hour, every hour, and you can see beautiful Bay Lake and the nightly EWP. I wouldn't let a couple of hours of music in the afternoon deter me from booking a CV and requesting one of those rooms.

TIA everyone!!!
Welcome and thank you, SingleMomToSophia! You still have to check-in at any resort even if you do OCI. OCI just allows you to input credit card information prior to your arrival and choose from a pre-set list of requests. For non-Club Level guests, you have a separate lobby check-in line that during peak check-in, may be less of a wait.

Your reservation is dropped into the resort about 5 days prior to arrival. At that point, a Room Assignor will see all of your requests, both called-in and noted on OCI. Doing OCI doesn't impact one way or the other whether a request can be met or an upgrade offered.

For a WV Bunk, I would request to be in the North Wing on a high floor. This might enable you to see some of Wishes, MK, CR...

You're welcome. Make sure you check out post #5 of this thread for descriptions and picture of the different views.
:thumbsup2

We have not been lucky enough to have a Bear Face room, but they are the ultimate location in our opinion.

SNIP

Our opinion is that there isn't a truly bad room at WL, but if we could have our choice of any one it would be a Bear Face room, probably on the fifth floor. :)

I thought you had booked Standard View in the past:confused3. Have you booked Courtyard View and requested a Bear Face room location and didn't get it? I just don't want someone to think that they wouldn't have to book a CV to possibly get a Bear Face location and I can't recall what you book before your last trip:scratchin

Just an FWIW:

Well that is curious. I asked a WL Room Assignor specifically if OCI requests override requests already in your reservation and he told me they don't and that he sees a long list of both OCI and requests that have been added to your reservation. I will have to ask about this again in case this has changed. I always recommend that guests verify that all their requests are in their reservation (like you did). I've had instances where I didn't even do OCI and my requests were either missing or pertained to a resort I had canceled. It's always a good idea to verify your requests NLT one week prior to arrival.

You can definitely add any celebration to your reservation and they should give you a pin at check-in with your special occasion noted on it. 40 years is certainly a very special occasion and what a great blind date:love:

Happy 40th Anniversary of your First Meet! Not too many of us celebrate such things! ;) How wonderful!! Ours will be 35 in Feb! :goodvibes

We celebrate our 1st meeting also (met on a train) and we celebrated 30 years last trip, and will be celebrating 35 years on our August 2014 trip.

KOOK- beautiful new thread!! The pictures are amazing and so much info!! I started researching WDW online back in 1997 and there was nothing like this. I just love it! I especially like discovering new views and angles, like the path to the VWL pool and the picture of the MK ferry going into dry dock.

Kathy Z- great trip report! Thank you!!

We stayed in a Bear Face room last trip and did not have any problems with noise level. It was a great location with great views from our balcony and when we walked right out our door! We thought they were a convenient location, too--fairly central.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter