(CLOSED) Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT and BAY LAKE TOWER INFORMATION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bid AWL may be right...4 is further, 10 is middle 12 is closer by one balconyI don't have the best spatial relations!!

Why look who made the trip! Welcome everyone!

885417_10200643405985410_296753511_o.jpg

(collected by the 18yo over many many years of WDW trips:thumbsup2)

I need to digress here and share a story about whether a Disney trip is "worth it" (both in cost and in hassle) when your kids are little.

On our first night we decided to take the monorails all around the "world" to see some of the places we had stayed on earlier trips. DH and I honeymooned at the Polynesian 25 years ago and it was fun to go back and see what had changed! (and to also compare it to the "real" French Polynesia where we spent our 25th anniversary in October.) We changed at TTC and took the bus over to the Boardwalk for dinner and decided to stop in the Boardwalk lobby since we had stayed in the villas there when our eldest DD was 2, then when the girls were 2 and 4, and 3 and 5. We traveled with the Grandparents all 3 times.

When DD1 walked into the lobby of BW, she burst into tears; she had very vivid memories of playing with her "Papa", who we had just lost in December. You have to know that my FIL was a little like Grumpy until I gave him his first grandchild, then his whole personality did a 180 and was a lot like Dopey!. Everything she did delighted him and he was never happier then when we all went to Disney together and he would just delight in the sheer joy the little ones took in being part of the "magic". He's gone now and as we sat sobbing in the lobby (I'm sure they were getting ready to call the white coats:crazy2:) there was no doubt in my mind that taking young ones (especially with their grandparents) is "worth it". We will always have those memories and I know it brought him joy!

Ok...hankies down...time to carry on!;)

Views Around the BLT

The lobby area at the bridge...the bridge is on level 5 between the south and center towers and goes to the Comtemporary on it's level 4. This puts the shops where you can stock up on groceries (at a premium price!) right at the end of the walkway. You go up the escalator one level to the monorail...it's all extremely convenient and "close" in a Disney sense that given how HUGE the whole place is, this is fairly compact.

149042671.jpg

Here we are on the bridge...there are some terrific views form the bridge and its a nice place to get a distant view of the Electric water pageant or MK castle fireworks if you don't have a view room.

149042672.jpg

View from the bridge of the Electric water pageant:

861305_10200593443576381_474743057_o.jpg.jpg

The mural in the Contemporary:
149042673.jpg

The monorail:
149042674.jpg

Just because it's great...DH's telephoto shot of the castle from our room:

149042677.jpg

I should have mentioned earlier...all of the good photos are DH's; he's an amazing photographer because he gets these shots while never holding up my military campaign to conquer the parks:rotfl: If you happen upon a crappy photo, it's one of mine, probably taken with my iphone...this was my first trip with an iphone and I was a maniac! I think I facebooked everything! :rolleyes2

Ok so good pics...DH, bad pics...me...got it??

He's even good at night!
149042676.jpg

Ok as promised a review of what we thought about BLT- even at top dollar (rack rate Presidents week...I rest my case!)

We LOVED this resort! The villa is HUGE. Much bigger than the others where weve stayed (Saratoga Springs, YCV, BCV, and the aforementioned BWV) We loved the extra bath and this became even more critical when DD1 got the norvirus on our 3rd night:(. This gave us an opportunity to really see the advantages of the comfort of this room.

First, having the second bath was great, DD was up every 20 minutes and I really was not able to "decontaminate" between each visit. We quarantined her to this bath and her bed and the rest of the family used the other one...none of us has been sick since, so it worked. But we could not have done that had we had only one bath...we'd likely all have been sick!

Second, the whole unit is very well soundproofed. You certainly can't hear outside stuff (even fireworks sound like a distant pop, and the music from the Electrical Water pageant sounds like distant tinkling of music) but even inside, with the door to the master closed you could not hear,(and sadly it was loud)
what was happening in the main bath. Finally around 5 AM I remembered my DH had some Meclazine in his kit and I gave her one feeling like there was nothing left to "get rid of" and I just wanted her to be able to rest for a little while. Luckily, it worked, but when i woke DH to get it, he had not heard a thing, thinking we had all slept all night!

The third thing, I spent that night on the foot of DD1s bed. Heres the thing...I have 2 kids, DD2 gets sick for anything, she is anxious with a week tummy and we tease that she has tossed her cookies in all the best places (Above Times Square, in Botswana etc etc) Unfortunately DD1 has only 1 phobia...and that would be throwing up. It makes for some really memorable:rolleyes2 family trips; DD2 throws (and is totally nonplussed by it) while DD1 completely freaks out while we are trying to minimize, clean, explain to horrified others that "really, it's not infectious".

SO you can imagine how freaked out DD1 was when she was actually the one getting sick. She may be a big girl, but she needed her mommy! I slept sideways on the end of the sleeper couch so I was near her without being (I hoped) within "infectious" range. Now, I've disgusted you all to tell you this...those couches are very comfortable! There was really no drop off from the king bed (except for the getting up every 1/2 hour to hold hair:rolleyes2). The sleepers were both roomy enough for adult sized people and both my girls agreed the most comfortable they have ever used. SO here with is a photo of beds out, so you can see what they look like...and know that my 5 foot 10 daughter fit just fine on that chair no problem!

149042678.jpg

The fourth thing that I deeply appreciated in this unit because of this awful situation was the washer and dryer. We had planned to carry on and pack only 4 days of clothing knowing we could do laundry both at moms and at BLT, but having the W/D in the unit was great when DD was sick; I could make sure everything was washed and "sanitized" rather than carrying germy clothing home!

The fifth thing was that when DD1 was feeling up to eating again, the Fantasia market and Contemporary cafe were very close by for bananas and gingerale.

The sixth convenience was that because we were so close to the major transportation hubs at the BLT; DH was able to go off with DD2 to EPCOT, return and then I was able to go out with her later. had we been off property or at an outlying resort; we could not have switched off. More on transportation later!

Sometimes it takes a bad time to realize all the good, and while it's never fun to have a sick kid, having one at BLT made it much more comfortable!

Transportation:

One of the things about the Contemporary is that it is convenient to and has so many options to the parks...I have a couple of tips though for finding the best route-
MK- Going to MK it is better to walk; there is a pathway that is maybe 1/4 long to the MK entrance. The monorail goes the long route, stopping at Polynesian, TTC, GF before arriving at the MK. Walking is quicker if you are able.
Returning from MK Your dogs are barkin', you are tired, you may be carrying souvenirs, or a sleeping toddler...take the Monorail...one stop and you are home...YEAH!

Pic of DD2 on the path to MK from CR and BLT:

149042687.jpg

EPCOT Going to EPCOT It is draw to walk to MK and take the monorail from there, which avoids at least one other stop. Or take the monorail from CR to the TTC. Then take the monorail from TTC to EPCOT.
Returning from EPCOT, especially at closing or leaving world showcase. Rather than walk all the way to the front of the park and then lining up for the monorail to TTC, it is quicker to walk to the International Gateway and get the bus at the Beach Club- it's still a long walk, but there will be almost no one going to the MK at that time of night from BC, so you can hop on the bus easily, and then walk home from MK.

For Boardwalk or other non monorail resorts: Rather than make a monorail or bus connection we found it easier to go to MK and take the bus to the resort nearest to our "final destination"...for instance to get to the BW, walk to MK, bus to BW (you can get off at the Swan, and walk it's no further and saves you a couple of bus stops)

I can't give the best advice about the other parks, we didn't visit this trip, likely the direct bus is best, and really only choice. The shared bus stop is right out the front door of the BLT, next to the Contemporary.

Upcoming; Probably tomorrow folks, I have to grocery shop...scans of the map and the Feb activities, and little review of the few activities we were able to do around the resort (we had a very short visit:sad1:)

quandrea- What size unit?
We were able to see the MK park and distant castle from our 1 BR Lake view by requesting the North Building level 6 or higher, even numbered unit (numbers ending in 4, 10, 12) it seems if you have a studio if you requested North tower, level 6 or higher (lower is considered standard view anyway) units ending in 08, or 08 you would have a left looking peek at the park as well as a lovely view of the Bay Lake. If you want to see the contemporary and the electric water parade on Bay Lake, and be a bit closer to the walkway on level 5, consider the South building. Hope that helps! The odd numbered Villas all seem to over look the pool area with the lake beyond...many of the upper level ones are lake view, but you will not be able to see the MK park from the odd numbered units.

Good luck!!

I'm going to post photos of 7710 later today...DH finally finished processing them!

It's a one bedroom. I'll be calling to request the allergy clean this week. I'll put that request in too. Does the one bedroom change your response?

It's a one bedroom. I'll be calling to request the allergy clean this week. I'll put that request in too. Does the one bedroom change your response?

What is the allergy clean? Is there an extra cost for it? My DS4 is highly allergic to lots of stuff and has asthma on top of it. The dr. has told us on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst my son is at a 9.5 so I would love to hear more about this for our fall trip. Thanks.

familygoboston, I can totally relate with your daughters! I'm the eldest of 3 and my sister has an extremely nervous stomach. Really gave me some terrible anxiety when we were all in the same house. :crazy2: I'm sorry your trip was affected and I hope it wasn't ruined entirely. I too was hit with the norovirus this year mid-January. I know I would have recovered a LOT more quickly if I'd had that view! :thumbsup2 Thanks for the pictures!

Familygoboston, thank you so much for your detailed report! I'm clinging to your every word because we are renting a 1-bedroom LV in December. There's a lot more maneuvering space with the couch and chair open than I would have guessed!

I also appreciate your transportation tips! I would have never figured out that the buses to MK at the end of the night are less crowded than the resort bus. That's a great tip!

Can't wait to read the rest!

Is the BLT pool zero entry? Can't find info on this.
Yup, there is a section where you can walk in, Additionally, I noticed a lift:thumbsup2

One BR is what we had...sounds like North Bldg, ending in 10 or 12 will work for you, view gets less cluttered the higher you go, but we wanted to be able to use the stairs thus level 7, but you could go higher if you don't care.

familygoboston, I can totally relate with your daughters! I'm the eldest of 3 and my sister has an extremely nervous stomach. Really gave me some terrible anxiety when we were all in the same house. :crazy2: I'm sorry your trip was affected and I hope it wasn't ruined entirely. I too was hit with the norovirus this year mid-January. I know I would have recovered a LOT more quickly if I'd had that view! :thumbsup2 Thanks for the pictures!
Ha ha! Yes, it's just they way it works in families right!?! Thanks, luckily it was an overnight thing, she was in no cndition (and still too catchy) to go into the parks, so she just crashed while we switched off and did EPCOT with DD1 at one point mid afternoon she was ok, but just snoozing, so we left her with the phone (she's 18 so I'm not a completely terrible mom!;))
Noro is nasty, but as I said earlier we have been to all kinds of places that are "risky" , have vaccines, take antibiotics with us etc, and she never gets sick...but in WDW she does!! Poor thing was so tried her dad tried to get her up to see the fireworks at 8 and she was just crashed!!
OK, shopping done, gotta unload and eat, then more!

Costs and Service:

One of things I loved about BLT, is that although you pay top dollar (if you pay rack) you get a lot for your money, I probably paid more than 35-40% more than I would expect for a comparable resort in another place. Some of that extra cost goes to the extraordinary location. But also, to many activities and facilities that unlike those other resorts don't cost an extra dime.(except for some crafts)
For example, there is no "resort fee" at the BLT/CR, there is no parking fee and the activities offered are not at an extra charge. I didn't feel nickled and dimed for everything. Certainly some things cost extra, like renting water craft, but you can expect the price they give you to the price you'll pay for your stay.

As for BLT- we were very comfortable with the level of service, but it is a villa, not a full service hotel. While there were staff in the lobby at all times, it's not "high touch" the way a luxury hotel is. There are often not bellman immediately available or valets as there are at other resorts (or as they are may be at the CR) but the staff in the lobby was willing and happy to answer any questions (eg, directions around the Princess 1/2 marathon on Sunday AM when we left, adding a no expiration to our DD's ticket after she missed a park, or printing our boarding passes. We had no trouble with housekeeping; a pillow request was granted within an hour or so, with the pillows left in our room while we were out. The mousekeeping was excellent and you could take care of things yourself if you needed to, such as when I did some trash and dish washing myself after the illness issue. At the pool there was not walk around bar service. So you will see that BLT is treated more like a luxury condo building with a concierge in the lobby vs a full service hotel where someone is at your side all the time. Which you prefer is up to you, we were happy to manage our own wheelie bags and not have to be tipping and surcharged constantly.

Ok- he's only pretending to be "mousekeeping" in reality he is a street performer in Disney's West End...Isn't that cool!

149042680.jpg

Maps of the property:
Contemporary:

830464_10200677398475201_383755275_o.jpg

BLT:

885768_10200677418155693_265701071_o.jpg

Info about nearby medical and shopping facilities:

856941_10200677397355173_598222558_o.jpg

Activities:

Activity Brochure:

857352_10200677401315272_486569566_o.jpg

885314_10200677400635255_1180398877_o.jpg

In addition to all these activities, there are 2 pools, one is at the Contemporary and open to all WDW resort guests, the other is at the BLT and is only open to guests of BLT. It is key card controlled and it would be difficult to get over there without a BLT Key Card. There is a pretty good slide at the BLT pool, a zero entry and lift, hot tub, a splash park which was as much fun for DH and me to watch the tots play there as they had playing. By late PM the towers through some shade throughout the whole pool area. There is a bar and snack bar as well as rest rooms.
The poolside activities are nearly constant so avoid the sahllow part of teh pool if you want to avoid hours of Marco Polo and canned music. If your kids plan to get involved in the games, sit near the towel area and shallow end, this is where the activities are held.

Pool slide:

576162_10200676846461401_100159036_n.jpg

I think I hinted at the Electric Water Pageant...in the error of modern entertainment (how does Lumiere talk and move like that???) it's pretty old school and hokey, but that is precisely why we love it...the same nostalgia that explains samll world and Hall of Presidents and even why the "original" Tiki Brids are back;)
If you stand on the bridge or out on the end of the boat dock at 10:15 you will hear the music and see the "barges" making their way across Bay lake. If you watch long enough you can see it lighting up over at Wilderness Lodge before it makes its way across. It's a delightful little piece of entertainment and we don't miss when we are within range of it!

576162_10200676846501402_378976622_n.jpg

149042683.jpg

149042684.jpg

149042685.jpg

149042686.jpg

Well, I tried to include as much ephemera and photos as I felt would be helpful! We had an amazing trip (despite the stomach flu) and we would gladly stay at BLT again (though we would be more likely to avoid peak season and we would rent points next time!) It's a spectacular location that makes you feel like you are in the middle of the magic...it was a special splurge for our family, since we are unlikely to be back to the parks with our own children until they have kids of their own (hankies up ;)) So for us it was a delightful short trip to take in the magic with our "children" one last time!

Familygoboston, thank you so much for your detailed report! I'm clinging to your every word because we are renting a 1-bedroom LV in December. There's a lot more maneuvering space with the couch and chair open than I would have guessed!

I also appreciate your transportation tips! I would have never figured out that the buses to MK at the end of the night are less crowded than the resort bus. That's a great tip!

Can't wait to read the rest!

Yes, The Magic Kingdom is your friend! It's usually open the latest of all parks (sometimes EPCOT is open till 9 and MK closes at 8, but transportation runs for at least 2 hours afterwards). Whenever you are someplace thinking about how to get "home", almost always there is a direct bus to MK and the MK bus lines are closer to the CR and BLT, so the quickest way back is often to get thyself to MK and walk (or if you are completely pooped, monorail) back. It was a nice advantage of that terrific location!

There is a lot of room in the BLT 1 BR, even with the beds out, there was tons of space and their stuff and beds never interfered with the other living areas (kitchen and dining). It's pricey but for bigger kids or adults, it's a nice set up. When our kids were wee, we just got the studio and it was plenty.

We are planning our first trip to WDW in June and made ressies at the CR. I made them for the bay lake view tower. Do those rooms have a nice view? Can you veterans give me any tips that might make our stay at the CR a little more enjoyable (especially for my DS's)? TIA

What is the allergy clean? Is there an extra cost for it? My DS4 is highly allergic to lots of stuff and has asthma on top of it. The dr. has told us on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst my son is at a 9.5 so I would love to hear more about this for our fall trip. Thanks.

The allergy clean is a deep clean. They really dust well and sanitize. They will also launder sheets with mild soap. They will use mild cleaners as well. I am most concerned with a good sanitizing because is peanut residue. I like dust cleared to help asthma in all of us. A regular clean is just not adequate I find. Call and ask to speak to someone in charge in the back office about a week prior to check in. Ask again at check in. No cost

Yes, The Magic Kingdom is your friend! It's usually open the latest of all parks (sometimes EPCOT is open till 9 and MK closes at 8, but transportation runs for at least 2 hours afterwards). Whenever you are someplace thinking about how to get "home", almost always there is a direct bus to MK and the MK bus lines are closer to the CR and BLT, so the quickest way back is often to get thyself to MK and walk (or if you are completely pooped, monorail) back. It was a nice advantage of that terrific location!

There is a lot of room in the BLT 1 BR, even with the beds out, there was tons of space and their stuff and beds never interfered with the other living areas (kitchen and dining). It's pricey but for bigger kids or adults, it's a nice set up. When our kids were wee, we just got the studio and it was plenty.

Thanks for all your posts! It makes me feel like our next vacation is here already. :)

familygoboston: I step away from this thread a couple of days and WOW! I love what you've done with the place! All the photos and witty commentary are just terrific. There's nothing worse than being sick on vacation, but it happens to all of us at least once. It was comforting the way you discussed how you and your daughters got through it and how being in the villa made a bad situation better.

I, like you, am such a proponent now of the BLT one bedroom. We really LOVED our first stay last August. It was great to see your north-side villa view photos (you'll have to post them to Work2Play's view thread;)). Your view was so peaceful and even though we love looking out at the CR, I'm going to request the north side next time.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your TR here:goodvibes. So did you book a BB?

ETA: I'm going to post a link to your TR in the BLT section:)

We are just back from our trip, and our room, a suite, is actually old room numbers # 6307 AND 6308 -- now combined and renamed just #6308. The suite includes a living room, dining room, extra pull-out couch, two entrances, two bathrooms with 3 showers, king bedroom and three massive expanses of approx 15-ft floor to ceiling sliding doors. There is peaceful water views all around two sides offering only trees, water, birds and boats. The side bedroom window offers a lovely view of the monorail entering the Tower. Here are a few photos of the suite and of our view:

We are just back from our trip, and I am so excited to report our most magical upgrade. We received CL amenities and a very large suite located on the point of the Garden Wing where the boats pass to go to CR/WL/FTW. The suite is actually old room numbers # 6307 AND 6308 -- now combined and renamed just #6308. The suite includes a living room, dining room, extra pull-out couch, two entrances, two bathrooms with 3 showers, king bedroom and three massive expanses of approx 15-ft floor to ceiling sliding doors. There is peaceful water views all around two sides offering only trees, water, birds and boats. The side bedroom window offers a lovely view of the monorail entering the Tower. Here are a few photos of the suite and of our view:

Magic, that suite is amazing!! Thanks so much for posting photos. :flower3: So glad you got a magical upgrade!pixiedust:

We are just back from our trip, and I am so excited to report our most magical upgrade. We received CL amenities and a very large suite located on the point of the Garden Wing where the boats pass to go to CR/WL/FTW. The suite is actually old room numbers # 6307 AND 6308 -- now combined and renamed just #6308. The suite includes a living room, dining room, extra pull-out couch, two entrances, two bathrooms with 3 showers, king bedroom and three massive expanses of approx 15-ft floor to ceiling sliding doors. There is peaceful water views all around two sides offering only trees, water, birds and boats. The side bedroom window offers a lovely view of the monorail entering the Tower. Here are a few photos of the suite and of our view:
Oh, the irony of your upgrade, as you were worried they'd upgrade you to the Tower:rotfl:. What a magical anniversary you must have had. How many years is it now? Thanks so much for posting your photos. I'm going to link to them on the first page:thumbsup2

MAGIC all I can say is WOW! Now that was an Upgrade! Thanks for the pictures. :goodvibes

Thanks Miss..., Gwynne, Sheila and KOOK. When we were driving over last week we decided to add on night at a Value on the back end but scrapped the idea once this upgrade came. Don't get me wrong, I love my Values too, but nothing could follow-up this suite! It is the first, and probably last, time I'll ever leave WDW early AND be happy about it. ::yes::

KOOK: My "Don't let them upgrade me to the Tower" mantra would've made a great T-shirt slogan! Yes... I thoroughly enjoyed the irony of it. Hmmm...wondering now if they were reading along here??? :scratchin And twelve years now for us. :hug: Guess what Resort has been deemed anniversary-worthy for 2014? Yep, FTW Cabins!!!! We've toyed with it for about 8 years now and we're running out of "new" Resorts to try. :lmao:

I will say that I don't have to worry about actually booking :rotfl: this suite ever so it isn't really a problem, BUT if anyone else on this thread is considering booking it, please note that Suite #6308 is a hike to the CL lounge, and I do mean a hike. If CL is your thing I'd stick to the Tower floors. We only visited the CL lounge once for "breakfast with a Castle view" so I could see the new refurb look. Sorry, KOOK, I hadn't had coffee yet and "spaced" on taking any photos there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter