Class of 2023 Parents

My son got into University of Miami today! He also got a $22k scholarship but that’s not enough to cover the $60k yearly cost of tuition. He’s in the running for an additional scholarship program they do but he won’t know about that one until April. It’s his first choice but compared to the free state school tuition with bright futures and he wants to do expensive grad school I want him to be loan free for undergrad. The cost of apartments in coral gables is astronomical and if he can’t live on capital all 4 years at UM that would stink.

Congrats! UMich is an awesome school (even if I do live in Ohio, I have to admit that ;) )

Rumor is that NC State is releasing acceptances today (in a few minutes), so hopefully we'll have good news on that. It's the last on my son's list that he's been waiting to hear from. Then we can start a decision process.
Thanks! Yes, she’s super stoked about University of Michigan. It was definitely one of her target schools, so she knows she’s got a “home” she feels good about for ungrad. The only way she’ll have a true decision to make is if one of the Ivies come calling, but I’m secretly hoping that Michigan sticks. Here’s to your son getting the news he’s looking for from NC State soon! It’s a great school!

Thanks! Yes, she’s super stoked about University of Michigan. It was definitely one of her target schools, so she knows she’s got a “home” she feels good about for ungrad. The only way she’ll have a true decision to make is if one of the Ivies come calling, but I’m secretly hoping that Michigan sticks. Here’s to your son getting the news he’s looking for from NC State soon! It’s a great school!

Unfortunately, he got a deferral yesterday. Moved into the regular decision pool. Second one he’s gotten so far - both ACC schools.

Unfortunately, he got a deferral yesterday. Moved into the regular decision pool. Second one he’s gotten so far - both ACC schools.
Hey, if anything, it says he’s met their criteria & is still in the mix. AFAIC, that’s still a positive. That said, I hope he’s not too disappointed

Our DD is 8:10 in acceptances. 2 rejections, NC and UGA. Still 3-4 decisions she's waiting for.
3 weeks or so for her most desired school to make a decision: UF
She informed us that once she's notified, she'll decide where to go.

We're now worried about housing. Worried that she won't get the most ideal option the more she waits.

Have any of your students already decided where to go?

Our DD is 8:10 in acceptances. 2 rejections, NC and UGA. Still 3-4 decisions she's waiting for.

We're now worried about housing. Worried that she won't get the most ideal option the more she waits.

No decision yet and the NC State deferral makes it harder, as it was either #1 or #2 choice for our son.

As far as housing, we were considering making a deposit at one of the schools (to hold his spot in line, per se) that's on his top 3 and just eating the cost if he chooses not to go there. With his other top choice (I think his #1 school right now), he's already talked to a classmate about being roommates and his friend has already placed a deposit, so he should be good to go with that school in terms of housing. As far as I know, most schools do housing choices based on how early the new student deposit is placed, so those students deciding in April and May get last choices on rooms.

Our son is also waiting on UF to make his final decision. UM is out since they didn’t give him enough in scholarship funds. So it’s between UCF and UF.

No decision yet and the NC State deferral makes it harder, as it was either #1 or #2 choice for our son.

As far as housing, we were considering making a deposit at one of the schools (to hold his spot in line, per se) that's on his top 3 and just eating the cost if he chooses not to go there. With his other top choice (I think his #1 school right now), he's already talked to a classmate about being roommates and his friend has already placed a deposit, so he should be good to go with that school in terms of housing. As far as I know, most schools do housing choices based on how early the new student deposit is placed, so those students deciding in April and May get last choices on rooms.
Housing is my biggest concern right now as we’re waiting for financial packages from 2 universities. One of which had a terrible time with freshman housing this current school year. My son is really on the fence about where to go and I suggested we pay the deposits, but he doesn’t want to do it. So, we’re waiting.

My daughter received rejections from UNC on Friday and U of T Austin today so she's pretty bummed even though they are reaches for OOS. She was generally accepted to Texas A&M but the business school is full so they are out. Still waiting to hear from 3 more Florida schools. We're going to an admitted students day for the IU Kelley business school in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping she'll like the school. Their housing opens on 2/1 but it's a lottery system vs first come basis so there's no rush to apply at this point. Her biggest complaint about it right now is that it won't be warm enough there even though we're from the Chicago area. She really wants to go somewhere warm.

Arizona State University is also a possibility so she put down the housing deposit there since it is refundable.

Last edited:
Our daughter’s still 5 for 5: University of Georgia, Michigan State, University of Colorado Boulder, Georgetown & University of Michigan (her current #1 in hand). Still waiting on Ivy Day (April 1st) for four schools & University of Florida (Feb 24). Fortunately, Michigan sends out housing applications to all incoming freshman students mid-April & all apply for housing at the same time, so she’s not behind the 8-ball in that regard

My son got two emails from UF today and it included a welcome to UF & student ID number. He then got a disregard the previous emails they were sent in error. I’m hoping it means he got in and someone hit the wrong button too soon 🤞
Oohh that's such a tease... hopefully it means he's getting in.
Ours is also waiting for UF's decision... she's down to her top 2 options but if UF accepts her she'll go there.
Sending good vibes for your sons acceptance.

Oohh that's such a tease... hopefully it means he's getting in.
Ours is also waiting for UF's decision... she's down to her top 2 options but if UF accepts her she'll go there.
Sending good vibes for your sons acceptance.
I hope your daughter also gets in its a great school. Everyone I know who has gone there has loved it. He had a few other kids in his class get the same error emails so someone in admissions pushed a wrong button.

Go Gators! We just received word, ours has been accepted to University of Florida as well! Looks like we’re stopping in to Gainesville to tour the campus come end of March during Spring Break. So glad to hear everyone’s acceptances so far!

Last edited:
Go Gators! We just received word, ours has been accepted to University of Florida as well! Looks like we’re stopping in to Gainesville to tour the campus come end of March during Spring Break. So glad to hear everyone’s acceptances so far!
We toured it last year and I thought it was a beautiful campus and it reminded me of a college on the east coast with the brick buildings. It’s very sprawling though but has great transportation with their bus system.

We toured it last year and I thought it was a beautiful campus and it reminded me of a college on the east coast with the brick buildings. It’s very sprawling though but has great transportation with their bus system.
Sounds great! She’s looked at pictures & likes the vibe, so it’s definitely peaked her interest. Looking forward to checking it out! Super happy for your family that your son got the school he truly wanted!!

Mine’s still waiting on her Ivies now. She had an interview via zoom with UPenn two weeks ago, didn’t like the 20-something recent grad who interviewed her, thought the kid was super pretentious & was trying to impress her instead of listening to what she had to say. She has her Harvard interview next week with an older alum, a retired physician, that she feels really good about from the short back & forth email that they had setting up the interview. Still quite a bit to a road for her to go, but she’s got some incredible choices so far

A decision has been made 👍. He’s off to Oxford, OH in the fall to go to Miami OH for engineering. 😁
That’s great! Congrats! My niece has all of her acceptances in hand & is down to choosing between her top two, Miami OH & Michigan State. I think she’s leaning towards Miami OH, so we’ll see

My daughter did have her Harvard interview a couple days ago & feels really good about it. She & the alum spoke for a little over an hour & at the end of it he told her that he thought she’d be an excellent addition to the Harvard community. Wish it was up to him, but admissions has the final word. We’ll know in about three weeks. She did find out today that there was one other kid in her senior class who has an interview with Harvard next week, so her competitive juices are kicking in a bit. I’d like her to just have fun with it, but what do dads know?😉

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!