Class of 2023 Parents

I've read of hosing issues at both University of Miami (FL) and Arizona State University. I know at U Miami they tore down one of the dorms and the construction of the new one has gone slower than anticipated because of COVID. They are guaranteeing housing for freshmen but not beyond that. Then at ASU I saw a video where they were having to house some new students in hotels. It sounds like a really good idea to apply for housing as soon as possible.
Sorry so many are having issues with housing, but I can’t tell you all how much the sharing of your kids’ experiences, both good & bad, is appreciated. If I’ve learned anything here, it the fact that I’m going to be sure to get registered & paid up for housing as soon as my daughter commits to a school

Sorry so many are having issues with housing, but I can’t tell you all how much the sharing of your kids’ experiences, both good & bad, is appreciated. If I’ve learned anything here, it the fact that I’m going to be sure to get registered & paid up for housing as soon as my daughter commits to a school
Once they are accepted is when you should put down a housing, UF’s for example was $25 so if he doesn’t go there it’s not a big loss vs trying to find housing at the last minute because everyone else has already filled the queue. We submitted the deposit after doing the application because that’s his #2 school choice.

Once they are accepted is when you should put down a housing, UF’s for example was $25 so if he doesn’t go there it’s not a big loss vs trying to find housing at the last minute because everyone else has already filled the queue. We submitted the deposit after doing the application because that’s his #2 school choice.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification!

Now that EA applications deadline is over, how has your student fared?
My DD applied to 12 and she's been accepted to 2 so far. She got acceptance letters for these 2 real quick, like within 10-14 days of applying. She was accepted in one of her top 3 so she's happy. No rejections so far. So she's 2:2

She's waiting on her preferred school's decision - but won't be until late Feb'23
FSU decision is Dec 15, that's her # 2

How many schools has your child been accepted to so far?

7 applications in so far, with one possible reach school left to go. No acceptances so far - most of the schools list sometime in mid-December as the timeframe for EA acceptances to come out.

Now that EA applications deadline is over, how has your student fared?
My DD applied to 12 and she's been accepted to 2 so far. She got acceptance letters for these 2 real quick, like within 10-14 days of applying. She was accepted in one of her top 3 so she's happy. No rejections so far. So she's 2:2

She's waiting on her preferred school's decision - but won't be until late Feb'23
FSU decision is Dec 15, that's her # 2

How many schools has your child been accepted to so far?
My son did 4 applications because he got into his #3 (UCF) he stopped applying elsewhere. He also did the FSU early decision, UM’s early decision let’s you know in January and UF in February so we won’t know where he’s actually going until UF decisions come out.

Last edited:
My son did 4 applications because she got into his #3 (UCF) he stopped applying elsewhere. He also did the FSU early decision, UM’s early decision let’s you know in January and UF in February so we won’t know where he’s actually going until UF decisions come out.
Cool! my DD also got into UCF, and its also her # 3. She's waiting for FSU and UF, her #1 and 2.
Have your son watch for the housing application email coming in the next few days. I called and they said you can apply for housing as soon as they notify students the applications are open. They said they'll open by Nov 21.

Our DD has gotten into each of the schools that she has applied to (UofM, MTSU, Emory Riddle). She does have one school that she just submitted to (UT) that does not offer her major, but offers her backup major/minor. She's experiencing doubt on her major of Aviation as she's plus size and there are size limitations. Which while understood is a bit dream crushing. Her backup is in Hospitality Management-Resorts. So she U of M and UT are still viable options. U of M is local and she would commute. Ins-state tuition means Hope Scholarship and the 50% reduced tuition as both her father and I work for the UT system.

Yearbook ads were just announced so I need to think about what will go into it.

After taking marching band season off for colorguard she's trying out for Winter Guard. Fingers crossed that they don't cut her. She was on the team the last 3 years.

Her Eagle Scout project proposal was accepted and her work day is scheduled for early December. Once that is finished we'll schedule work days for her GS Gold Award project.

My daughter who is majoring in marketing has applied to 9 schools and gotten into 3 so far that have rolling admissions (no rejections yet). She's applied as early decision for U of Miami (FL) so if she gets in there that's where she'll be going. We should know by mid-December.

Of the ten schools my daughter’s applied to, she’s received admission to two, Michigan State & University of Georgia, both for their honors programs. They’re both her safeties, so no real plans on attending either, but nice to hear back from a couple early nonetheless, especially at the honors level. Georgetown’s next up in a couple weeks, which is one of her top schools, so she’s definitely excited about her heavy hitters upcoming. The rest aren’t expected until late Dec-mid Jan, with Ivy day not until March. She’s got a good head on her shoulders so I’m just glad she’s having fun with it at this point

First decision came in last night - unfortunately, it's a deferment from Clemson. Fortunately, it's not high on my son's preferred schools, but he was hoping to at least get one acceptance in his pocket before the rest of them come in. Most of the other EA applications are sending out decisions on Dec. 15th, so hopefully that's a good day for him. :)

First decision came in last night - unfortunately, it's a deferment from Clemson. Fortunately, it's not high on my son's preferred schools, but he was hoping to at least get one acceptance in his pocket before the rest of them come in. Most of the other EA applications are sending out decisions on Dec. 15th, so hopefully that's a good day for him. :)
Yeah, Dec 15 is a big day.
Our DD is pinning hopes she gets a positive decision on her #2 (FSU)
Too bad some schools won't issue decisions until next year - Our DD's #1 (UF) won't decide until late Feb.
imo all schools should make their decisions before the end of the year so that kids can relax & have nice holidays.
Good luck to your son - hope he gets what he wants.

DD received another acceptance letter yesterday, this one to Washington State University. It's for her backup program which she is considering a double degree in. While it's a no for us due to out of state tuition, they have offered her $11k a year to help offset costs. If she can somehow secure additional scholarship money then we'll talk. Especially as we lived there when she was young and have close friends still there. 👀

Yeah, Dec 15 is a big day.
Our DD is pinning hopes she gets a positive decision on her #2 (FSU)
Too bad some schools won't issue decisions until next year - Our DD's #1 (UF) won't decide until late Feb.
imo all schools should make their decisions before the end of the year so that kids can relax & have nice holidays.
Good luck to your son - hope he gets what he wants.
Our daughter’s applied to Florida as well. She’s only getting one of her last 7 schools, Georgetown, on Dec 15th. The rest of her decisions come next year. It’s nice to get their applications finished & behind them for early action, but enough with the waiting game already!😉

My daughter was accepted to the Kelley Business School at Indiana University so she has another option there (although it's not her top choice). She applied ED 1 to University of Miami and there is a rumor based on the last two years that decisions may be released this Friday. She's nervous because she really wants to go there.

First acceptance is in 👍

His state school choice (Miami OH) has sent its acceptance. And with a decent sized scholarship, it would be his cheapest choice (by far). I think it’s one of his top choices, but he’s not letting on right now what his thoughts are.

Should be a big day of application updates - it sucks that he’s home sick this week, but I’m sure he’s letting his friends know one way or another.

Big day for everyone, happy to hear good news all around! We just found out daughter was accepted to Georgetown! She’s at the library with friends right now, but just opened the email on FaceTime for us. She found out one of her besties was also accepted there today, so they’re heading out to dinner with a few friends to celebrate. Still waiting for her top choices but so glad she can breathe a bit easier with that one in her pocket. Good luck to everyone who’s still waiting to hear back from their schools

First acceptance is in 👍

His state school choice (Miami OH) has sent its acceptance. And with a decent sized scholarship, it would be his cheapest choice (by far). I think it’s one of his top choices, but he’s not letting on right now what his thoughts are.

Should be a big day of application updates - it sucks that he’s home sick this week, but I’m sure he’s letting his friends know one way or another.
My son also got his Miami acceptance this week. Small scholarship though. It might rule out Miami for him. Great news for your son, though!!! Congratulations!

Our daughter just got accepted into FSU and we're beyond ecstatic.
This is her # 2 choice and she'll most likely go there as she doesn't think she'll get admitted into UF.
FSU posted their decisions at 5 pm. If your student applied, you can go check now.
Our son also got his FSU acceptance today 😊. He got a scholarship letter too for UCF for $14k for the 4 years. His girlfriend got 30k there 🥰. UF is the goal though and we won’t know til February.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter