Class of 2023 Parents

Our DD has gotten into each of the schools that she has applied to (UofM, MTSU, Emory Riddle). She does have one school that she just submitted to (UT) that does not offer her major, but offers her backup major/minor. She's experiencing doubt on her major of Aviation as she's plus size and there are size limitations. Which while understood is a bit dream crushing. Her backup is in Hospitality Management-Resorts. So she U of M and UT are still viable options. U of M is local and she would commute. Ins-state tuition means Hope Scholarship and the 50% reduced tuition as both her father and I work for the UT system.

Yearbook ads were just announced so I need to think about what will go into it.

After taking marching band season off for colorguard she's trying out for Winter Guard. Fingers crossed that they don't cut her. She was on the team the last 3 years.

Her Eagle Scout project proposal was accepted and her work day is scheduled for early December. Once that is finished we'll schedule work days for her GS Gold Award project.
UT as in Tennessee? If so, hubby and are are graduates and would highly recommend it. My DD would love UT but we are out of state and out of state tuition / cost is roughly $46,000. Ummmm, no. Not sure she will qualify for enough academic money to make it feasible.

Our son also got his FSU acceptance today 😊. He got a scholarship letter too for UCF for $14k for the 4 years. His girlfriend got 30k there 🥰. UF is the goal though and we won’t know til February.
I imagine UCF scholarships vs a UF acceptance it'll be a tough choice for him as to where to attend.
Our DD also got some funding at UCF and another school up north on a full scholarship but she'll give them up for an acceptance with no money at UF. I just wish UF decided around this time as well so kids in FL can make up their minds before the end of the year and enjoy the holidays. Oh well.
Good luck to your son in February and congrats on his acceptance to FSU.

I imagine UCF scholarships vs a UF acceptance it'll be a tough choice for him as to where to attend.
Our DD also got some funding at UCF and another school up north on a full scholarship but she'll give them up for an acceptance with no money at UF. I just wish UF decided around this time as well so kids in FL can make up their minds before the end of the year and enjoy the holidays. Oh well.
Good luck to your son in February and congrats on his acceptance to FSU.
I agree UF with no scholarship trumps UCF. We have Florida prepaid and he qualifies for full bright futures scholarship so even UF will be covered in full. The cost of living is more than in state tuition.

Our daughter just got accepted into FSU and we're beyond ecstatic.
This is her # 2 choice and she'll most likely go there as she doesn't think she'll get admitted into UF.
FSU posted their decisions at 5 pm. If your student applied, you can go check now.

Congrats to everyone with acceptances! Just wanted to point out for us OOS families we have a longer wait for FSU. :) My daughter was deferred to RD from University of Miami (FL) when she applied ED 1, which was her top choice, so that was really hard for her but there is still a chance. Her school guidance counselor told her U Miami only accepted 14% of ED 1 applicants so that helped to soften the blow somewhat. You try to tell them not to fall in love with a college but it's not easy. Another friend told her about the University of Tampa and she liked what she saw online so she's going to apply there over winter break.

Still waiting on the rest of the schools she applied to.

Congrats to everyone with acceptances! Just wanted to point out for us OOS families we have a longer wait for FSU. :) My daughter was deferred to RD from University of Miami (FL) when she applied ED 1, which was her top choice, so that was really hard for her but there is still a chance. Her school guidance counselor told her U Miami only accepted 14% of ED 1 applicants so that helped to soften the blow somewhat. You try to tell them not to fall in love with a college but it's not easy. Another friend told her about the University of Tampa and she liked what she saw online so she's going to apply there over winter break.

Still waiting on the rest of the schools she applied to.
My son has one Ohio school that doesn’t release decisions until mid-January. He wants to make his decision and get his housing deposit in, but he wants to wait until this last one is in. All others he applied to have already sent their decisions. So, we wait.

I apparently misread things online. I thought more schools were releasing decisions yesterday. Turns out, NC State and Purdue won't be until sometime in January and Elon is next week.

DS did not receive good news yesterday with his early decision. Ah well, he doesn't seem to be unhappy about it. He's now 2 for 3, still waiting on 3 more. He will likely apply to 4 more over Christmas break. His 2 acceptances so far are UCF and Indiana. UCF gave him a nice scholarship and he gets in state tuition, so it will be hard to beat. He refused to get out of the car at UF as he hated the surrounding area, so he did not apply.

Big day for everyone, happy to hear good news all around! We just found out daughter was accepted to Georgetown! She’s at the library with friends right now, but just opened the email on FaceTime for us. She found out one of her besties was also accepted there today, so they’re heading out to dinner with a few friends to celebrate. Still waiting for her top choices but so glad she can breathe a bit easier with that one in her pocket. Good luck to everyone who’s still waiting to hear back from their schools

Meant to reply earlier - You must be so proud of this moment. Georgetown is an elite school and your DD getting accepted there is quite something. As much as I love mine and being the proudest dad, certain schools were simply out of reach to her. Her sat and gpa scores weren't as high, so she had to settle for "mid-tier" schools and her getting accepted into FSU felt as though she was admitted into MIT (if she gets accepted into UF, that would be otherworldly)
As a fellow dad, I hope your daughter accomplishes all she wishes for and more... If you're ever in Central Florida, reach out via DM and maybe we can get our daughters together for a trip to a park or a dinner somewhere to chat about their upcoming school years.
Heartfelt congratulations!

Meant to reply earlier - You must be so proud of this moment. Georgetown is an elite school and your DD getting accepted there is quite something. As much as I love mine and being the proudest dad, certain schools were simply out of reach to her. Her sat and gpa scores weren't as high, so she had to settle for "mid-tier" schools and her getting accepted into FSU felt as though she was admitted into MIT (if she gets accepted into UF, that would be otherworldly)
As a fellow dad, I hope your daughter accomplishes all she wishes for and more... If you're ever in Central Florida, reach out via DM and maybe we can get our daughters together for a trip to a park or a dinner somewhere to chat about their upcoming school years.
Heartfelt congratulations!
I really appreciate the kind words. Georgetown was a bit of an afterthought for her & she feels super lucky to have gotten in. It’s all kind of surreal to me tbh. We’re still waiting for the rest of her schools to reply, Florida absolutely being one of them, but it’s been quite a ride so far. She has a few Ivies that she’s really hoping for, Brown being her dream school, & they’re a heavy lift, even with good grades & SAT scores, but she’s keeping an open mind until she hears from them all. I will say that FSU’s an incredible school as well & your daughter’s sure to get a great start there should that be where she ends up attending. If both girls end up deciding to go to UF, I’ll absolutely reach out & see if we can’t put something together for our kids, even if they just chat about what comes next.

More results incoming, our daughter received an acceptance letter to University of Colorado Boulder last night. Another one of her safeties, she applied because her aunt’s a CU Boulder grad, but nice to have another choice on the books

UT as in Tennessee? If so, hubby and are are graduates and would highly recommend it. My DD would love UT but we are out of state and out of state tuition / cost is roughly $46,000. Ummmm, no. Not sure she will qualify for enough academic money to make it feasible.
Yes! She has submitted her housing deposit, and plans to room with a friend who was also accepted. Sat down last night to discuss their list of dorm needs/wants. They are also looking at signing up for the Ignite program, which keeps having a delay in opening date.

Her Eagle Scout application was submitted and was told that her board of review will be scheduled for early March. She presented her project to our local Parks and Rec board meeting earlier this month.

It's exciting to read about everyone's post-high school plans! Does anyone have non-college plans for next year? DD will be doing a 5th ("transition") year after walking this June before heading to college for fall 2024. It will be using the Flexible Pathways program at the high school and we expect it to include a work-based component, a program at the local Tech Center, and probably a couple of community college classes. She'll receive paraeducator certification through the Tech Center program and we're hoping the work-based component may be at one of the local elementary schools. Her goal is to become a math teacher.

So DD was accepted to Texas A&M but they said sorry but the business school is full so you have to pick another major. The reason she didn't pick a second major for the school is that she only wanted to go there for the business school so they are out.

Still waiting on several schools... We're going to the Indiana University Kelley Business School admit day in February to check out the school. I would love it if DD went there since that's where I went to undergrad. DD also decided to put down the deposit for ASU housing since it's refundable. She was actually able to pick the exact room she will be in if she goes there. At IU they don't even get to pick the specific dorm they want to be in- they only are able to pick an area of campus. Very different approaches to housing. I know that several of the schools my daughter is waiting to hear about have had issues with being able to house all of the freshmen. So that may weigh into DD's decision.

Ok, we had an exciting acceptance this afternoon! Our daughter was accepted to University of Michigan, one of her very top choices! Love seeing her so happy, makes her feel like all the hard work was so worth it. Between being accepted to UMich & Georgetown, the pressure’s definitely come down a few notches for her, & I for one am so glad. It’s crazy the stress these kids put themselves through

Ok, we had an exciting acceptance this afternoon! Our daughter was accepted to University of Michigan, one of her very top choices! Love seeing her so happy, makes her feel like all the hard work was so worth it. Between being accepted to UMich & Georgetown, the pressure’s definitely come down a few notches for her, & I for one am so glad. It’s crazy the stress these kids put themselves through
Congrats! UMich is an awesome school (even if I do live in Ohio, I have to admit that ;) )

Rumor is that NC State is releasing acceptances today (in a few minutes), so hopefully we'll have good news on that. It's the last on my son's list that he's been waiting to hear from. Then we can start a decision process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter