Circumpolar Race Around the World (CRAW)

I couldn’t help myself after looking at that map, I had to research a little as Apple Maps seems to handle it about as well as Google. After dropping pins all over the place and spinning things around to get the right orientation (hint: it’s tough to imagine a globe on a flat map) I have my imagined path across the ice. We’ve run past Alexander Island and are very close to the edge or maybe on the Ronne Ice Shelf with a lot of frozen miles in front of us.
View attachment 560429

One thing for sure, this has gotten me reading about something I probably never would have looked otherwise, and it’s somewhat interesting
Then there is the other curiosity, after we finish region 4, will it be a two piece medal? The map needs one piece in the Western Hemisphere and the other half in the Eastern. I’m looking forward to filling in that puzzle

This is awesome, thanks!

I was going to mention that I recently read an article in the Smithsonian magazine that had an article on Shackleton and his visit to South Georgia Island. I checked out the island on Google maps, and although there aren't really streets, if you pick up the street view figure, you can see there are a number of 360-degree photos marked on the island. It seems like those would give a feel for what we'd be viewing in some of Antarctica.

Speaking of medals, I received an email from the organizers yesterday asking me to confirm I wanted the big frame they're sending out in which to mount all the medals. It's 20" x 40". Should make a really nice wall display.

How many regions have you cleared? I haven’t seen anything along those lines and am wondering if we need to get past Region 6 before we have similar contact.

Speaking of medals, I received an email from the organizers yesterday asking me to confirm I wanted the big frame they're sending out in which to mount all the medals. It's 20" x 40". Should make a really nice wall display.
How many regions have you cleared? I haven’t seen anything along those lines and am wondering if we need to get past Region 6 before we have similar contact.

Right. I haven't seen that email yet either. A frame would be awesome!

We are 20% through Region 11. I dug the email out of the trash folder. Region 6 is the key: “you have entered at least 6 of the 12 regions on your around the world trek....what an amazing feat of endurance....”

Week 27 Update
Another week above 400 miles (424 miles)!! We are cruising across Antarctica. As for CRAW milestones this week:
  • Completed 25% of Region 4 on Wednesday
  • @RunDopey achieved a 20 minute marathon PR this past weekend (3:39) - congratulations!!
At the end of Sunday, we were 1,052 miles into Antarctica, and the prediction models are still divergent given our strong mileage so far in Antarctica showing that we should finish Region 4 between 4/11 & 4/21 depending on whether you use our Region 4 average daily mileage (64.5 miles per day) or our overall average daily mileage (52.3 miles per day). We had a CRAW total of 9,831 miles completed, and for the entire CRAW, the prediction model is showing 1 year 7 months total based on our average daily team mileage (again, 52.3 miles per day).

Progress2021-03-07.png

Week 27 Update
Another week above 400 miles (424 miles)!! We are cruising across Antarctica. As for CRAW milestones this week:
  • Completed 25% of Region 4 on Wednesday
  • @RunDopey achieved a 20 minute marathon PR this past weekend (3:39) - congratulations!!
At the end of Sunday, we were 1,052 miles into Antarctica, and the prediction models are still divergent given our strong mileage so far in Antarctica showing that we should finish Region 4 between 4/11 & 4/21 depending on whether you use our Region 4 average daily mileage (64.5 miles per day) or our overall average daily mileage (52.3 miles per day). We had a CRAW total of 9,831 miles completed, and for the entire CRAW, the prediction model is showing 1 year 7 months total based on our average daily team mileage (again, 52.3 miles per day).

View attachment 561552

For the fact that Antarctica is the longest region, I feel like we've been flying through it! That's good, because we can get back to a region that is on Google maps. :)

My mileage is going to go down a bit for the next two months because I'm really busy with work. That's making me cut down on my walking a bit.

For the fact that Antarctica is the longest region, I feel like we've been flying through it! That's good, because we can get back to a region that is on Google maps. :)

My mileage is going to go down a bit for the next two months because I'm really busy with work. That's making me cut down on my walking a bit.

Hopefully I can get back to my normal, boring running routine and help offset your loss. I admire the walking, as I do not have the patience to walk much, but feel like I would not be as sore all the time if I walked more.

I hope your busy time is not too busy. I got vouln-told this week that I would be helping another team for the immediate future and fear that I will be in the same boat.

Week 28 Update
Our fourth week in a row with greater than 400 miles! The last four weeks have been 403, 453, 424, and 452 miles. We seem really motivated to get off this block of ice as soon as possible. As for CRAW milestones this week:
  • Crossed 10,000 total miles for CRAW on Thursday
  • Completed 1/3rd of CRAW on Friday
At the end of Sunday, we were 1,504 miles into Antarctica, and the prediction models are showing that we should finish Region 4 between 4/11 & 4/19 depending on whether you use our Region 4 average daily mileage (64.5 miles per day) or our overall CRAW average daily mileage (52.7 miles per day). We had a CRAW total of 10,283 miles completed, and for the entire CRAW, the prediction model is showing just under 1 year 7 months total based on our average daily team mileage.

For the upcoming week, we should cross the halfway point in Antarctica (probably on Thursday). Have a great week!

Progress2021-03-14.png

@camaker Congrats on the 100k! Incredible achievement!

Thanks! I hope to have a race report up tomorrow. It got really hairy at the end with severe thunderstorms on course resulting in two weather delays that added >82 minutes to my time. It’s really hard to sit in a car for an hour and then get back out to run the last 10 miles! After all that craziness I ended up with my first ever age group award on top of everything! It was eventful.

Thanks! I hope to have a race report up tomorrow. It got really hairy at the end with severe thunderstorms on course resulting in two weather delays that added >82 minutes to my time. It’s really hard to sit in a car for an hour and then get back out to run the last 10 miles! After all that craziness I ended up with my first ever age group award on top of everything! It was eventful.

Wow, sounds like quite a day! Can't wait to see the report! Congratulations!

Glad you did not have a boring first 100k! Congratulations on the age group award! Looking forward to reading your report.

That's insane. Congratulations!

Nothing scares me quite like lightning. You are a brave man!

Weeks 29 & 30 Update
Once again, I am a little delayed in my updates, but Spring Break happens. In any case, I am combining updates from the last two weeks (ending this past Sunday) in this post.

We have now had six straight weeks above 400 miles with the week before last setting a new team record at 471 miles!!

As for milestones during these past two weeks:
  • Crossed the halfway point in Antarctica (on St. Patrick's Day)
  • @RunDopey complete the Seabrook Lucky Trails Half Marathon (3/21)
  • @camaker completed his first 100k!!! (3/27)
At the end of Sunday, we were 2,425 miles into Antarctica, and the prediction models are showing that we should finish Region 4 between 4/11 & 4/15 depending on whether you use our Region 4 average daily mileage (65.0 miles per day) or our overall CRAW average daily mileage (53.6 miles per day). Given that we are only about 10 days away now, I think the earlier date of 4/11 seems more realistic. We had a CRAW total of 11,204 miles completed, and for the entire CRAW, the prediction model is showing about 1 year 6.5 months total based on our average daily team mileage.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Progress2021-03-28.png

Weeks 29 & 30 Update
Once again, I am a little delayed in my updates, but Spring Break happens. In any case, I am combining updates from the last two weeks (ending this past Sunday) in this post.

We have now had six straight weeks above 400 miles with the week before last setting a new team record at 471 miles!!

As for milestones during these past two weeks:
  • Crossed the halfway point in Antarctica (on St. Patrick's Day)
  • @RunDopey complete the Seabrook Lucky Trails Half Marathon (3/21)
  • @camaker completed his first 100k!!! (3/27)
At the end of Sunday, we were 2,425 miles into Antarctica, and the prediction models are showing that we should finish Region 4 between 4/11 & 4/15 depending on whether you use our Region 4 average daily mileage (65.0 miles per day) or our overall CRAW average daily mileage (53.6 miles per day). Given that we are only about 10 days away now, I think the earlier date of 4/11 seems more realistic. We had a CRAW total of 11,204 miles completed, and for the entire CRAW, the prediction model is showing about 1 year 6.5 months total based on our average daily team mileage.

Hope everyone is doing well!

View attachment 566352

Thanks again for these summaries!

I am excited to get out of Antarctica and to somewhere with a working Google map! Our icon is moving on the mixed-up Antarctica map, and it seems like we will have to fall into the ocean soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter