Circumpolar Race Around the World (CRAW)

Weeks 17 & 18 Update
First off, happy new year everyone!

Second, sorry for the lack of updates lately as I have been traveling since we started Region 3. I am back home now and should be set for a while now.

As for updates, we have slowed down quite a bit (especially this last week - mostly my fault since I was skiing and didn't get any runs in). However, we did still accomplish some major milestones over the past two weeks:
  • Completed 20% of CRAW (12/26)
  • Completed our journey through Chile (12/29) and crossed into Argentina
  • @Dopey 2020 ran the WDW virtual marathon (1/2)
At the end of yesterday, we were 245 miles into Argentina. We had a CRAW total of 6,410 miles completed, and the prediction models are showing that we should finish Region 3 between 2/19 and 2/25. For the entire CRAW, the prediction model is showing about 1 year 7.5 months total based on our average daily team mileage (51.3 miles per day). However, we have only been averaging 44.9 miles per day for this region so far, but I assume this will pick up given the holidays are now behind us.

Progress2021-01-03.png

Last edited:
Been awfully quiet around the CRAW board....

Hope everyone is doing well. I continue to plod along and try to add consistent miles each week. DopeyBadger has me in a new training plan that lowered my weekly mileage a bit, but have been trying to make that up with some extra walking. Starting to build more now again.

So, I have been very remiss on just about everything lately... just ask my work boss and my wife (my personal boss). I have been very delayed in providing a summary of Region 2, so without further delay...

Region 2 (South America - Andes) Summary
The CRAW Region 2 route consisted of three countries for a total of 3,094 miles. The shortest distance needed to cross a country was about 553 miles (Ecuador), and the longest distance was about 1,697 miles to get through Peru.

Our team's breakout of running vs. walking was:
Running (including treadmill)2,155 miles (70%)
Walking (including hiking)939 miles (30%)
Total3,094 miles

And now, for Region 2 top honors...

Top 3 Mileage (Running & Walking)

1. @RunDopey - 601.7 miles (average of 9.8 miles per day)
  2. @camaker - 476.0 miles (average of 7.7 miles per day)
  3. @Baloo in MI - 452.0 miles (average of 7.3 miles per day)
Top 3 Running Mileage
  1. @RunDopey - 589.8 miles
  2. @opusone - 345.1 miles
  3. @camaker - 327.9 miles
Top 3 Walking Mileage
  1. @Baloo in MI - 234.0 miles
  2. @Dopey 2020 - 232.6 miles
  3. @avondale - 171.8 miles

For an aggregate total of the entire CRAW to date, here are the overall awards (Region 1 & 2 combined)...

Top 3 Total CRAW Mileage (Running & Walking)

1. @RunDopey - 938.2 miles (average of 8.8 miles per day)
  2. @camaker - 878.8 miles (average of 8.2 miles per day)
  3. @Baloo in MI - 811.5 miles (average of 7.6 miles per day)
Top 3 Total CRAW Running Mileage
  1. @RunDopey - 886.5 miles
  2. @opusone - 624.6 miles
  3. @camaker - 609.9 miles
Top 3 Total CRAW Walking Mileage
  1. @Dopey 2020 - 436.7 miles
  2. @Baloo in MI - 417.5 miles
  3. @camaker - 268.9 miles

Sorry for the delay with Region 2 results. Two regions down, 10 to go (well, 9.4 to go at this point)!

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay with Region 2 results.
No apologies needed. Appreciate you taking time to do this. Always cool to see the stats and how we are doing as we make our way around the globe. As a math challenged person, no freaking way I would be able to do some of this myself so I like it no matter when it comes out.

Week 22 Update
Not a ton of updates this week as we are still in Argentina. However, we did accomplish a couple milestones:
  • Passed 7,500 total team miles
  • Completed 25% of CRAW
At the end of yesterday, we were 1,629 miles into Argentina. We had a CRAW total of 7,795 miles completed, and the prediction models are showing that we should finish Region 3 on about 2/21. For the entire CRAW, the prediction model is showing about 1 year 7.5 months total based on our average daily team mileage (50.9 miles per day). However, we have only been averaging 47.7 miles per day for this region so far.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Progress2021-01-31.png

I'm now back to running! I will be running 3-4 miles per day, 3x per week for about a month but I'm glad to be contributing again. Onward and upward. It great running without pain again. I can only hope it lasts for a while this time!

Talk about a straight road that seems to go forever, here is the road we are currently running on in Argentina...

View attachment 554256

I just said to my husband last night, "You know, Argentina is really, really flat." :) Maybe they have about five streetview photos of that road and they just keep rotating through them because no one can tell the difference.

Week 23 Update
Wow, what a great week of mileage! Out of 23 weeks so far, this was only our third week above 400 miles, and the first week above 400 in over four months. Although we didn't complete a ton of CRAW milestones (Argentina's really a long country), we did have several individual milestones this week (as mentioned in my earlier posts):
At the end of yesterday, we were 2,052 miles into Argentina. We had a CRAW total of 8,216 miles completed, and the prediction models are showing that we should finish Region 3 on about 2/19 (only 11 days to go). For the entire CRAW, the prediction model is showing about 1 year 7.5 months total based on our average daily team mileage (51.4 miles per day).

The three folks listed above should probably recover a bit this week, but the rest of us... let's go out and tackle some miles!

Funny... I think we can visual see the tapering and races this past week/weekend on the graph.

Progress2021-02-07.png

Last edited:
Congrats @avondale on the 50k and @Baloo in MI I am indeed taking it easy the beginning of this week, so now is your chance @avondale. Watch out, as it starts with a 5k, then you are running a 50k and then ...

@Baloo in MI, I cannot imagine running in snow, so you have my admiration there.

I was fortunate to have a great support team for my race, including my wife and some friends. All wonderful, strong ladies that helped me tremendously. Best of all is that I get to return the favor for them this weekend at Rocky 50! I was really happy to PR by more than 2 hours. It is not often you get to say those words.

I'm glad to see that after a 100-mile race that you aren't taking it easy for for the WHOLE week, but just the beginning of the week. :rotfl2:

I ran an easy 10k last night to appear as recovering. My wife got one of those percussive, handheld massagers and I want none of that right now 😬

Was your race a 50k within 30 hours or a mile every hour? I would definitely prefer the former.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter