Checking in Early or Not for Best Room?

On our last trip we were staying at CBR, and I requested a room in Aruba via TP's fax. I also specified early arrival. When we arrived the room wasn't ready, and nothing else in Aruba was available, so they offered either to hold that room, or to put us in Trinidad North. Because we'd been up since 4am and wanted to freshen up, we took the room available. It was no big deal, we ended up loving the location so much that we'd requested the same for our upcoming trip, but then we ended up changing to POR. I've requested a room again, and this time we have a late arrival because we're not leaving until after school, so I'm sure we'll just take whatever we're given.

I agree with keeping the requests as generic as possible, and not being disappointed if you don't get the request. Sometimes I haven't received my request, and due to the room assignment I DID get, I found a new favorite location at the resort. In all the years I've been going to WDW I think I have asked to change room location twice - but I haven't received my room request many more times than that. I'd say I'm probably at 75% got the request and 25% didn't get the request/didn't make a request.

I think the only time I wanted to make a switch and they wouldn't let me was at CR. I had a reservation right before they were shutting down the north wing for demolition, and had requested the north wing. The last night guests were staying in the wing was the night before my last full day. I was placed in the south wing, which was still smoking at that time, and I am allergic. I begged to be moved to the north wing and they wouldn't tell me why I couldn't be moved and they didn't offer to move me for part of the trip with only the last night in the south wing. I found out later what happened. That was a rather unpleasant trip due to the allergies and I wish the front desk had been a little more proactive in assisting me with a solution that didn't involve a smoking room. I've stayed at CR many times, both before and after that trip, and didn't have any room assignment issues.

Thank you for that summary. :) I still don't understand what the whole fax thing is about - where to find it - when to do it, etc... Thanks!
If you use the service from touring plans it takes all the guesswork of when out of the equation. You fill out the from and they fax it when it needs to be sent. You don't have to write out anything out figure any of it out. . They do it all. You just enter the confirmation number and pick a room location

Except if the text has already gone out with the room number. It's my understanding that once a test has gone out, that room cannot be reassigned.

It's rare, but I have heard of folks getting a text with a room number, then not showing up until very late (like, they went to a park or something), and the room number had changed.

I personally prefer to arrive early if possible. That way, if the room has any severe issues, it's easier for them to find another room if possible.

Also, at other hotels, we've found upgrades were very likely (ones that we had frequented like the Ritz Carlton before they joined Marriott rewards) to happen. Later in the day, obviously more rooms are filled, so the staff has less to pick from if there is any issue with your room.

It's rare, but I have heard of folks getting a text with a room number, then not showing up until very late (like, they went to a park or something), and the room number had changed.

I personally prefer to arrive early if possible. That way, if the room has any severe issues, it's easier for them to find another room if possible.

Also, at other hotels, we've found upgrades were very likely (ones that we had frequented like the Ritz Carlton before they joined Marriott rewards) to happen. Later in the day, obviously more rooms are filled, so the staff has less to pick from if there is any issue with your room.

Yeah, things happen. I checked into the Hilton Garden Inn in South Beach today after doing the app check-in where you can select a room. The guest in the room I selected decided not to leave, so they had to move me and I went from 3rd floor to 6th! (TBH I would have picked 6th anyway, but the app didn't give me that option. So I'm not sure if it's considered an upgrade over the 3rd floor Hilton Honors pre-pay room or not.)

I used to think people that arrived earliest got their requests. But seems to be luck of the draw!
That being said... we ve arrived all different times and Been upgraded several times, I think only Once it was a terrible room... but really no biggie for us.
I generally just request first floor (for mods) ...
and if staying POR, will only stay/pay Preferred location room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter