Checking in Early or Not for Best Room?

schalliol

Mouseketeer
I've given the agent notes on some specifics as others have said (i.e. what floor and house at Poly Theme Park View). If I check-in early, will it automatically assign me? Should I call and try to check-in at 60 days or some number of days early? Thanks!

I've given the agent notes on some specifics as others have said (i.e. what floor and house at Poly Theme Park View). If I check-in early, will it automatically assign me? Should I call and try to check-in at 60 days or some number of days early? Thanks!

Whether you do Online Check In or not, rooms are assigned 3-4 days out. Whether you do Online Check In or not has no bearing on whether you get your requests granted.

Whether you do Online Check In or not, rooms are assigned 3-4 days out. Whether you do Online Check In or not has no bearing on whether you get your requests granted.
And your time of arrival has no bearing on getting your room request either.
Best way to get your request to keep them at a bare minimum and as general as possible, to give them a wide pool of rooms to choose from, or as wide as possible.
Like last week at FQ, I requested, via fax from TP, Building 4, 1st floor if possible. That's it. We got Building 4, 1st floor. Room wasn't ready when we arrived (we were moving from another resort) but the CM at check in made a point to tell me we got our request, so I know they read it

Thanks everyone. AngiTN, I did the type of request you've mentioned. The question is, did you or should I do an online early check-in now that this is in the file or not? I don't think there's phone-based early check-in, but that would be the same question.

Thanks everyone. AngiTN, I did the type of request you've mentioned. The question is, did you or should I do an online early check-in now that this is in the file or not?

There's no reason not to. I would just skip the room request option during Online Check In since your requests are already noted.

I don't think there's phone-based early check-in, but that would be the same question.

There is no option for Online Check In at 60 days out via phone. It's online only.

Thanks! So does anyone know for sure that when you just don't select options in Online Check-in that any requests already applied will not be overridden?

Thanks for this! I called in and had the person read back to me the line of the request. Is there a reason to do fax instead or in addition to?

Thanks for this! I called in and had the person read back to me the line of the request. Is there a reason to do fax instead or in addition to?
No
But I do caution you about getting too hung up on this request.
Key word here, it's a request.
You may not get it no matter what you do.
Do not go in to it setting yourself up for disappointment if you don't get your request.
Be ready to not get it and then be happily surprised when you do.
I only mention this because you seem really concerned about this request and that could be a sign that someone is very set on getting it and would be disappointed without it
Don't do something that starts off a trip to the most magical place on earth with disappointment.

And your time of arrival has no bearing on getting your room request either.
Best way to get your request to keep them at a bare minimum and as general as possible, to give them a wide pool of rooms to choose from, or as wide as possible.
Like last week at FQ, I requested, via fax from TP, Building 4, 1st floor if possible. That's it. We got Building 4, 1st floor. Room wasn't ready when we arrived (we were moving from another resort) but the CM at check in made a point to tell me we got our request, so I know they read it

I think a late arrival could affect your room request. During the day if some people are unhappy with what the got or there is an issue with their room, they could switch with someone who has not arrived yet or been given the room ready text.

I know for sure that doing online check in has no bearing on requests sent in via fax.
I always do both, online check in and TP fax

Exactly. As long as you don't input anything to directly contradict your written request (such as checking another longhouse) OR check "early arrival is most important" (whatever the wording is) there is nothing that online check-in would do to negate the already given request.

I second @AngiTN in that it sounds like you are setting yourself up for a miserable time if your exact request is not met. While the assigners try their best to meet requests, there are times it simply cannot be done. I would also advise that if it is not immediately met and you want to talk to the desk agent, DO NOT take it out on him or her. It is NOT their fault. If you are calm and polite, they will likely do whatever they can to help you (which does not include kicking someone out of their room early or building a new room). But the more boisterous and demanding someone is, the less likely the person is to make every effort to help you. (I worked in a hotel for a while in reservations - I have seen it happen.)

I don't know if you're used to cruising, but that is a totally different deal as people are boarding and disembarking at the same time so specific cabin numbers can be assigned. Hotels are not that way - people are arriving and leaving every day. So room assigners are basically playing Tetris with their available rooms. If someone who checks in earlier than you but is not leaving on your arrival date is assigned the exact room you want either due to requests or simple availability, that room will not be available to assign to you. Even if there is only a one day overlap.

Bottom line, you (OP) have put your request on. That is all you can do. Hope for the best - it *could* happen. But prepare for the reality that it *might* not and don't let it ruin your vacation.

I think a late arrival could affect your room request. During the day if some people are unhappy with what the got or there is an issue with their room, they could switch with someone who has not arrived yet or been given the room ready text.
I guess anything is possible but that has not been our experience. Most recently we didn't arrive till 10:00 PM last week. Got exactly what we requested. Always can be a coincidence to just happen to get your request but I tend to think they try to fill them if they can
But bottom line is anything can affect your room request and little you can do to ensure otherwise.

All I can say is that we have had very good results with our requests and we never arrive before midnight. We will note them on the reservation and faxed them again 5-6 days before our trip. Also; we rarely do online check-in. I have no idea if any of this really makes a difference but that is our room history:D

No
But I do caution you about getting too hung up on this request.
Key word here, it's a request.
You may not get it no matter what you do.
Do not go in to it setting yourself up for disappointment if you don't get your request.
Be ready to not get it and then be happily surprised when you do.
I only mention this because you seem really concerned about this request and that could be a sign that someone is very set on getting it and would be disappointed without it
Don't do something that starts off a trip to the most magical place on earth with disappointment.

Agree 110% with this post.

We've arrived morning, midday and after midnight.

I only note our room requests (2 max) on the actual reservation.

We have been granted our requests about 75% of the time.

My advice - DO NOT give your room requests the power to make or break your vacation.

I don't agree at all with many posters, in my experience when you check in has a huge effect on getting your requests or not. Typically the earlier I check in the better my room location.

I don't make room requests, I'm just not hung up on location - and I've never been disappointed or asked for room reassignment. The last two times that I had upgrades were both late arrivals. From a studio to a 1-BR at SSR, and from a regular room to Business Class at CSR when I checked in after midnight.

I don't agree at all with many posters, in my experience when you check in has a huge effect on getting your requests or not. Typically the earlier I check in the better my room location.

It's seriously luck of the draw. In your case, the people who had your perfect room were checking out on that day and actually DID check out. If they had decided to extend their trip you might not have gotten that room at all.

We once got a perfect room and we didn't even land until midnight. Got to the resort between 1 and 2am. It had, we assume, been held all day. OR it got bounced around from person to person who didn't want it (it WAS a very long walk from the POR main lobby, but the room and type itself were great) and we landed on it LOL.

More than anything this shows that it really doesn't matter. It's a coincidence more than anything.
You have hit it where you get your requests when you arrive early (and I assume don't when you arrive late)
We've done both and had mixed bags of luck with our request. Early doesn't mean we get them and late doesn't mean we don't.
All just random/pure luck
The time we got downgraded we'd arrived early (hopped over from another resort where we'd arrived late and got our request)

Thanks everyone. Yes, I know that the requests are general, but like when requesting a dorm room in college, it sounds like from what I've been reading that they'll try to satisfy requests before they fill those that have no requests. I'm just trying to get my best shot, and I appreciate the note not to get too set on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter