checked prices and the 8D was cheaper than 10

coastiewifern

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have insight as to why a 8d oceanview (larger sq ft) would be cheaper than an inside cat 10? We found this to be true on 2 June 2012 dream cruises we are looking into

DCL recently (shortly after the 2012 cruises started booking) raised the prices on many of its inside staterooms since so many people have been booking them in order to experience the virtual porthole. There are very few inside rooms, and as they have started to sell faster than the oceanview categories, DCL raised the prices in reflection of the increased demand.

I'm curious to see the VPHs but still booked an 8D for the extra space. It's 241 sf compared to 214 for cat 8/9 on the Magic/Wonder. That's a big difference to me.

The Cat 5B with Verandah is cheaper than the Cat 9A (deluxe ocean view stateroom) by more than $600 dollars for the cruise in the Med in May. I'm booked in the 9A and can't change to the 5B because when I booked the 9A with the onboard discount it was cheaper than the 5B is now. If I change to the 5B now I will have to pay $777. But, if I had booked it back in May I would be getting a reduction in price.

Hopefully we will get an upgrade when it gets closer to the date of departure. Earlier this year when we went we got a Cat 6 room and was upgraded to a Cat 4. Plus we got the military discount, it was awesome. Keeping my fingers crossed for another military discount.

Although the Cat 8D is "cheaper" than the Cat 10, it was not that way on opening day. On that day, the inside staterooms were less expensive but they booked up quickly causing Disney to raise their prices more rapidly than they have with the outside/verandah staterooms.

Look at this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2579000

2A2C were able to book a 10A for around $3,500 with the 10% discount. Without the discount, that room is about $3,900 on opening day with 2A2C.

Right now, that same 10A room is going for $4,570, an increase of $670 from opening day.

The Cat 8D for 2A1C was going for around $3,441. That same room for 2A1C is around $3,553 so it's gone up about $112 since opening day.

This means that more people booked up the less expensive inside staterooms immediately after opening day. If you want the lowest prices possible, it's often best to book them on the day bookings open. Otherwise, you could end up paying more - sometimes a lot more!

We booked two staterooms (1 Verandah and 1 inside) on the first day for the 6/2/2012 cruise and the inside room has gone up by $530 whereas the verandah room price has remained unchanged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter