Checkbox: This Guest is not a Member

MouseOfCards

Finally jumped in . . .
When making a reservation, there is a checkbox for "This Guest is not a Member". What exactly is this checkbox for? I know it says "Guests you identify as non-Members will not have access to your Vacation Points or contract information while they are at the Resort." This explanation always seemed strange to me. So, if I make a reservation for my friend, who is not a member, and I do not check this box, will a cast member just assume he's a DVC member and can modifications and access my points?

And what is the purpose for this checkbox for children (should it even be there for anyone under 18)?

I assume one of the primary uses is to identify potential clients for DVC marketing folks. Do you agree? What else do you think they use this checkbox for?

I really have no idea. I think it's mainly so we can be honest and check it for people we're renting to, etc. It's not like NOT checking the box does anything. No I doubt that they would modify and access points unless the front desk is doing something floopy (like if the renter asks for an upgrade and the front desk for some reason does it), but I bet if the front desk is going to floop-land like that they'll do it no matter what's checked or not.

there have been a few reported issues with guests/renters asking for an upgrade and the front desk taking pts from the DVC owner to make that happen.

there used to be a rule that you were obligated to distinguish between guests and renters - back when guests got some perks that renters did not. but now most of the perks are tougher to come by...and this sounds like it's addressing a different issue anyway.

could be a marketing thing but i doubt it - DVC still tends to market passively from what i've seen: put up signs and wait for you to come to them.

Obviously it's not the reason, but if you mark "not a member" for guests at the Aulani, they get a different wrist band for the pool. DVC members get special sparkly bands that make me feel special :smooth:, while our guests got regular plain colors. The sparkly bands also get you a "Welcome Home" or something as you walk past the DVC reps out there haha

I have always just figured it was an extra safeguard to ensure the guests don't have access to the account - loans, point value, changing the reservation, etc. I thought there was some kind of note on the reservation to alert CM to just so there is no question.

It means there is no mistaking a guest as a DVC member as many Cast Members were checking the card or MB to determine if they were a member. TOTWL was bad about it. Now most of the CMs checking you in for TOTWL know to request a DVC member card.

Plus I expect DVC and Disney wonders how many guests staying at a DVC resort are members.

Back when we used to get key cards, ours would say "DVC Member" on them, but our guests' would not. That's the only difference I saw.

Back when we used to get key cards, ours would say "DVC Member" on them, but our guests' would not. That's the only difference I saw.

And we never had that happen. When I checked the boxes all appropriately our guests still had member on them. :) On our first trip, actually everyone had that except for me. I do check it for me and ds even though our names aren't on the deed. And I didn't have it on my card lol. The other 8 in our party did though!

. . I do check it for me and ds even though our names aren't on the deed. And I didn't have it on my card lol. The other 8 in our party did though!

Huh? You are members but your name is not on the deed, a corporation I would guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter