• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Changes coming to Downtown Disney?

If Disney felt this was enough of a problem, they would do what you say. I for one hope they don't.

Problem is, the Disney suits don't have to fight for bus space with parking violators.

It's even worse in the evening when guests are waiting to return to Saratoga Springs. Cast Members actively encourage guests headed from theme parks to DTD to take the SSR bus and walk over. All because Disney doesn't want to spend the money on a dedicated bus.

I'm guessing you don't stay at Saratoga Springs so it's just someone else's problem.

You know I'm usually with you...

But I'm thinking you're overstating this particular problem.

Undoubtedly, there are abusers and some will take advantage...but if they're going to go to that trouble...I actually don't care.

I'm not prone to hyperbole but at the predictable times (park opening, evening), it's a big frickin' inconvenience to the guests who expect reasonable service from the resort's bus system.

Many mornings you can literally see the parade of folks walking over from DTD.

At night, people leaving theme parks are actively encouraged to take the SSR bus to reach Downtown Disney. I've even had a DME driver give out that advice--unsolicited--as we were headed to a completely different resort from the airport.

I understand Disney's financial motivation in this case. And I also realize that all guests have certain entitlement to resort-wide transportation. But neither of those are much comfort when you're squeezed out of a bus--and left waiting another 20 minutes--by folks just looking to save $14 (or whatever the price may be.) :headache:

Seems like giving RFID cards to resort guests and RFID readers on the buses would be an easy, relatively low impact way of keeping the right people in the right place, while securing the proper parking revenue stream. I can't imagine Disney NOT doing this by 2016.

thorphin said:
Seems like giving RFID cards to resort guests and RFID readers on the buses would be an easy, relatively low impact way of keeping the right people in the right place, while securing the proper parking revenue stream. I can't imagine Disney NOT doing this by 2016.

Disney provides transportation for all guests, not just resort guests.

Fair enough. I suppose that makes it more complicated. But using RFID, they could still conceivably limit the ability to board a bus at Saratoga Springs to resort guests. And probably overhaul the bus stops at Downtown Disney to support transportation to the parks in a way that is profitable AND benefits guests of Saratoga.

And I believe that the intent of Disney's transportation is to transport people from their on-site rooms, theme parks, and paid parking lots to theme parks. I do not believe that Disney intends to transport people who are getting free parking to shop at DTD to theme parks. I also believe that if Disney has the ability to increase revenue (including parking revenue) with little negative impact to paying guests, they will.

The point is that technology is being implemented that will enable lots of interesting things and 2016 is a LONG time from now.

tjkraz said:
Problem is, the Disney suits don't have to fight for bus space with parking violators.

It's even worse in the evening when guests are waiting to return to Saratoga Springs. Cast Members actively encourage guests headed from theme parks to DTD to take the SSR bus and walk over. All because Disney doesn't want to spend the money on a dedicated bus.

I'm guessing you don't stay at Saratoga Springs so it's just someone else's problem.

Sorry to have bothered you with my opinion.

dadddio said:

Actually...Disney transport is for resort guest and those that have paid for parking (that day...not in 1974)...

So technically, if you dump off I-4 and park at WOD...you don't have the right to hop over to Saratoga and ride to MK.

It's never enforced though...
I might even venture to guess that even automated readers
Would prove ineffective as enforcement.

Computers aside, Disney avoids confrontation at all costs. The appearance of unhappiness/heavy handed measures is bad for perception...and that affects bottom line expenditures.

The one newer exception is park tickets...where they have become more aggressive for years.

$100 tickets are no joke.

I have to say, i'm sorta mixed on this.I like the idea of changing the design of the place, as it was getting dull, and adding a parking garage. But I will still miss the name and, to an extent, the design.

If Disney felt this was enough of a problem, they would do what you say.

This is true. The number of people who work the system to avoid paying $14 to park is small enough that it's not worth the expense in trying to extinguish it. It's as simple as that.

BobK/Orlando

lockedoutlogic said:
Actually...Disney transport is for resort guest and those that have paid for parking (that day...not in 1974)...

So technically, if you dump off I-4 and park at WOD...you don't have the right to hop over to Saratoga and ride to MK.

It's never enforced though...
I might even venture to guess that even automated readers
Would prove ineffective as enforcement.

Computers aside, Disney avoids confrontation at all costs. The appearance of unhappiness/heavy handed measures is bad for perception...and that affects bottom line expenditures.

The one newer exception is park tickets...where they have become more aggressive for years.

$100 tickets are no joke.

Since "resort guest" does not mean "guest staying at an onsite resort" but "guest of the WDW resort", the distinction is meaningless.

mesaboy2 said:
Since "resort guest" does not mean "guest staying at an onsite resort" but "guest of the WDW resort", the distinction is meaningless.

Exactly. Resort does not mean 'Disney hotel', it means 'WDW'.

Actually...I was too generous...

Per Disney's website:
"Complimentary transportation is available for guests staying at SELECT DISNEY RESORT HOTELS"

the one exception is to get from the parking lot at magic kingdom over the lagoon...

It would be nice to think that Disney is "Kumbaya" and is in to giving hops to EPCOT to those that want "discounted" parking...but it is not so.

The Saratoga hop is not legal.
If you want to be honest...it's stealing (harsh but true)

lockedoutlogic said:

Per Disney's website:
"Complimentary transportation is available for guests staying at SELECT DISNEY RESORT HOTELS"

the one exception is to get from the parking lot at magic kingdom over the lagoon...

It would be nice to think that Disney is "Kumbaya" and is in to giving hops to EPCOT to those that want "discounted" parking...but it is not so.

That's up there with giving away "nontransferable" FastPasses being illegal in terms of silliness.

I can think of a number of other "exceptions" as well. Park-to-park buses, monorails, boats, parking trams (if you want to get really literal) would be a few.

Disney isn't running a gulag concerned with enforcement of rules, they are running a resort concerned with the happiness of guests.

mesaboy2 said:
That's up there with giving away "nontransferable" FastPasses being illegal in terms of silliness.

No this is pretty easy...

Pay for hotel room: get all boats, buses and choo Choos

Pay for Parking at park: get access to park...maybe boat and choo choo...or parking trams.

Park at downtown: go to downtown.

It's never enforced...you can have at it.

But there is no open interpretation of the policy.

A little Rambo action on the keyboard on this one. Let it go.

lockedoutlogic said:
No this is pretty easy...

Pay for hotel room: get all boats, buses and choo Choos

Pay for Parking at park: get access to park...maybe boat and choo choo...or parking trams.

Park at downtown: go to downtown.

It's never enforced...you can have at it.

But there is no open interpretation of the policy.

A little Rambo action on the keyboard on this one. Let it go.

Whatever brings you joy.

lockedoutlogic said:

Per Disney's website:

I was on the website just a minute ago. The bus transportation page says that transportation is complimentary. It does not qualify that in any way.

Just visited Trader Sam's in mid January...while it was a nice little place...don't know that I would make a comparison to Adventurer's Club. Yes....they did have some unique items which would remind you of AC...but ....nowhere near the scope of AC...Trader Sam's only has about 7 or 8 tables inside the bar and maybe 15 barstools...very small place. If Disney has decided to go the route of completely redoing Downtown Disney to attract evening crowds I would certainly hope they will bring back a version of the Adventurer's Club....a MUCH larger version than Trader Sam's would be.

dadddio said:
I was on the website just a minute ago. The bus transportation page says that transportation is complimentary. It does not qualify that in any way.

Jeez...

Disneyworld.disney.go.com

Under "complimentary resort transportation"

This is pushing it a little.

lockedoutlogic said:
Jeez...

Disneyworld.disney.go.com

Under "complimentary resort transportation"

This is pushing it a little.

From here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/transportation/getting-around-disney-world/

Q.
What is the best way to get around Walt Disney World Resort?

A.
It’s fun and easy to get around Walt Disney World Resort! Our complimentary network of buses, boats and monorails can transport you between Disney Resort hotels, theme parks, water parks and shopping venues. Learn more about Walt Disney World Resort transportation.[/B]

So you find something that supports your argument, and I find something that supports mine. Back to square one.

DonnaL said:
Just visited Trader Sam's in mid January...while it was a nice little place...don't know that I would make a comparison to Adventurer's Club. Yes....they did have some unique items which would remind you of AC...but ....nowhere near the scope of AC...Trader Sam's only has about 7 or 8 tables inside the bar and maybe 15 barstools...very small place. If Disney has decided to go the route of completely redoing Downtown Disney to attract evening crowds I would certainly hope they will bring back a version of the Adventurer's Club....a MUCH larger version than Trader Sam's would be.

And that may be a priority for them.

But I would caution two things:
1. That Disney cares at all about online petitions, or "outrage" over the adventurers club.
2. That their intent is "evening crowds"

I think their goal is all day appeal...and if nightlife spawns from it..it's gravy.

But they don't seem to be looking to reintroduce PI type locales on a bigger scale.

This seems more like straight third party retail...just like the derailed Hyperion wharf...only bigger.

The ironic twist here are the Disney branded food shops (if reports are true). Might be a smart move...considering that they could use the "hook" Disney burgers, Disney fries, Disney shakes, etc to feed the retail. A large character spot...leaked as "character dining" would obviously be booked, high turnover and feed thousands each day back into the retail shops.

But I don't honestly think they care about the bar scene. They'll still have them...but it doesn't seem like they could care.

My theory as to why?...the dining plan...as they systematically have pushed it into close to a standard practice and they have gutted us all on the food and beverage costs. The change in five years is staggering.
Lemmings...we all were:
Cheap plan, free dining promotions have evolved into not so cheap plans/tiered premium options...with prices rising steadily through the bait and switch.

They have 60 on property locations collecting much higher fees now...perhaps that was necessary to abandon the dedicated bar business all along.

Just a theory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter