Cedar Point - has the Magic moved North?

We live 30 minutes from kings island. When my son was growing up, we spent a lot of time there. Back when they had the Nickelodeon theme, we enjoyed the parade. I haven’t been there in a number of years. Last time I tried to go to the water park it was wall to wall people. I still think it’s great for kids.

Recently they (KI) have had issues with kids getting into fights. Last year it was weekly. It seems like it has calmed down some.

I’ve never been to cedar point although we have talked about going. Sounds like they are doing some good things.

I live an hour from Cedar Point and generally go every year. It is exceptional for what it is. But what it is is wildly different from Disney.

Disney is about being in the bubble of total immersion for however long you’re there. Cedar Point is about blasting your rear end off with speed and adrenaline.

Just impossible to compare.

I grew up in Sandusky. We went to CP some in the 1970s and a lot in the 80s. I have a gold pass and hope to go several times this year.

It's fun, but yes, it's mostly a roller coaster park now. There are some unique things to do, though - my fave ride in the whole park is Cedar Downs, one of only two still operating racing derby carousels left in the United States. Instead of the horses going up and down, they go forward and back in sets of four as you race around on a rotating platform. It was originally built in 1921 for Euclid Beach Park in Cleveland and was moved to CP in 1967. Disney has nothing like it.

I grew up in Sandusky. We went to CP some in the 1970s and a lot in the 80s. I have a gold pass and hope to go several times this year.

It's fun, but yes, it's mostly a roller coaster park now. There are some unique things to do, though - my fave ride in the whole park is Cedar Downs, one of only two still operating racing derby carousels left in the United States. Instead of the horses going up and down, they go forward and back in sets of four as you race around on a rotating platform. It was originally built in 1921 for Euclid Beach Park in Cleveland and was moved to CP in 1967. Disney has nothing like it.

First ride I ever went on at Cedar Point. 6th grade.

It was the Fourth of July and I couldn’t conceive of how many people were there- I spent the next two years thinking Gemini always had a two hour line.

What does Cedar Point have over WDW?? SNOOPY!! And the best salt water taffy. Oh and a fresh water lake with no alligators.

We stayed in the campground about 20 years ago and although it was no Fort Wilderness, it was very nice, clean and very convenient.

Just got back from a short trip with dinner and just a couple rides - including Derby Downs. It is truly one of my favorites ever! Wind Seeker is also super fun and unique.

I'm not comparing the parks exactly - just noting tht the experience we've had this year at Cedar Point has had some of the magical touches we used to experience at Disney. Today getting onto the SkyRide, the staff member complimented my daughter on her sunglasses with a huge smile. All our staff interactions have been super positive this season. We haven't seen that kind of Cast Member interaction at Disney this year, although it used to be that way all the time. Compared to Disney, it just seems more relaxing and much less chaotic, stressful, and tense. That's magical for me.

Have fond memories of annual trips to Cedar Point in the 60’s and 70’s. Blue Streak was the only coaster when I first went. Cedar Downs was always a favorite. Like Disney, it’s a fun place to visit, I wouldn’t call either magical.

What does Cedar Point have over WDW?? SNOOPY!! And the best salt water taffy. Oh and a fresh water lake with no alligators.

We stayed in the campground about 20 years ago and although it was no Fort Wilderness, it was very nice, clean and very convenient.
I am a huge Peanuts fan. I love seeing Snoopy at Knott's Berry Farm. I need to convince my husband to go!!!

What a fun ride!!! The other is at Playland in Rye, NY. While not exactly common, several other defunct old-time parks had these too.

wow, I paid a lot more than $100 for a season pass to cedar point in 2020, the next week the park was shut down for covid of course. But, the season pass was honored the following year as well, so it worked out.

Well, now that I think about it, that was a multi park pass, it got us into King's island as well. Maybe that's why it was more.

Have fond memories of annual trips to Cedar Point in the 60’s and 70’s. Blue Streak was the only coaster when I first went. Cedar Downs was always a favorite. Like Disney, it’s a fun place to visit, I wouldn’t call either magical.
'We actually went to Cedar Point in the 60's when it was pretty new! I was impressed with the cleanliness of the park and the CM's were all dressed in the same uniforms. The CM;s were abundant and very helpful. I don't remember the coasters but I am not a coaster fan. I do remember the sky ride which was fun. It was a beautiful park then, and I can't imagine what it is like now?
However, the beach area was off limits to guests. You could actually see the sewer line going out from the beach area into Lake Erie. Ick! I guess there was a big clean up from those days, but no swimming allowed back then:) I would like to go again, but we don't live in Ohio now.

wow, I paid a lot more than $100 for a season pass to cedar point in 2020, the next week the park was shut down for covid of course. But, the season pass was honored the following year as well, so it worked out.

Well, now that I think about it, that was a multi park pass, it got us into King's island as well. Maybe that's why it was more.
Probably the platinum pass (instead of gold). Gets you into all Cedar Fair parks.

@Jrb1979 ... you will love this thread!!

I do enjoy Cedar Point and Kings Island parks. And their Fast Lane system is a hundred times better than G+ and ILL.

I have not been back to CP since Covid, but I have been to KI several times as I live nearby. They have been getting a lot better at park maintenance, landscaping, and customer service. Food is still lacking, but it is what it is. As @kymom99 said they had issues last year with large teenage groups fighting, but I haven't heard about that this season. I hope they amped up security like they should have done from the get-go.

I have always loved CP. It has my favorite coaster, Millennium Force. Hotels are no where near Disney standards, just my opinion.

I love theme parks in general, but I am with PP in the fact that it is really hard to compare Disney to Cedar Fair parks. They are just so different for what they offer. But I love that OP has found magic in CP. I do enjoy that park. One of my favorite things to do when taking a coaster break is walking through the petting zoo area with a beer. Just the shady area and seeing the animals. That is uniquely CP. (Not the same feel as AK, which I love too just completely different and special in their own ways.)

I love this thread Cedar Point is my favorite park. I live 5 hours away and go at least twice a season if not more. I agree that its hard to compare Disney with Cedar Point. For my family it's not just about the rides but also the atmosphere. The thing that I like the most about Cedar Point over Disney is how simple it is to visit. No spreadsheets or planning required. As far as Cedar Point goes, we were just there a week ago and had an amazing time. What helps is they have the best coaster in Steel Vengeance. Another factor is cost as well.

Thanks everyone for commenting - you are right when you say it's NOT Disney; nothing is, and that's so hard. Disney does an incredible job of the immersive lands (Pandora, Toy Story), but the magic fades for me with the overcrowding, extra cost, and lesser service than we were used to.

Cedar Point doesn't compare with the themed lands certainly, but they are doing BETTER (in my opinion) in the service, upkeep and cleanliness, certainly value, and the ease of the experience. It was so hard to relax at Disney in 2022 with the changes, cost, chaos, and crowds, and that killed the magic for me. I love the post about relaxing with a beer and wandering at Cedar Point. My daughter and I did that on Friday - just went for a few hours, had dinner, rode a couple rides, and wandered and people watched. We could have ridden 10 rides in 3 hours, but we just people watched and relaxed - and that is wonderful.

Last edited:
I’d be interested in knowing what fell short if you ever want to hash it all out

It was so many little...and a few big things. We've had Annual Passes for 3-4 years with multiple trips before that, and our trips were pretty amazing until late 2021 and 2022 (four trips). It's mostly the taking away things and charging more that make it feel like work, and like I'm getting ripped off. Plus, the guest vibe is just...different.

Losing Magical Express and luggage delivery was huge for me. We loved entering that bubble at the airport, and that discontinuation added cost and stress for our sometimes large group. Room cleanliness was a huge factor - eight days in an uncleaned room is nasty, so we even booked a couple split stays to get clean rooms halfway through. Piled garbage and stinky food containers in hallways grossed me out, and our one resort had a BEAR sighting (wonder why?). Calling for towels, shampoo, coffee and not getting them. Very limited pool hours, broken hot tubs, filthy floors, dirty pools with bandaids floating in them, and unkempt landscaping...

Waiting 80 minutes to pick up Mobile Order food, and having it be wrong; being told that "no water was available" at a Quick Service location on a 95 degree July day. Untrained and surly Cast Members. No merch delivery to rooms. Waiting 75 minutes for Disney Transport multiple times. Lots and lots of broken down rides. The very worst was a Cast Member situation with the DAS that caused a life threatening medical issue, and then having the same Cast Member laugh about it and roll her eyes.

We love Disney and our memories there, but whatever this "new" Disney is - it wasn't magical for us this year. We saw a few glimpses of the old Disney certainly, but other guests also seemed so rushed, stressed, and unhappy - the vibe was terrible. I saw numerous guests cussing people out and confronting other guests - and we almost got attacked by a crazy lady during the fireworks at Magic Kingdom who was drunk and tried to stand on the cement fencing area by Plaza Ice Cream and was furious when she was told she couldn't do that (by a Cast Member). Never mind her kids that she told to climb onto our table WHERE WE WERE EATING to STAND and watch the fireworks. Shakes head. It was insane. Lol...so now you know :)

It was so many little...and a few big things. We've had Annual Passes for 3-4 years with multiple trips before that, and our trips were pretty amazing until late 2021 and 2022 (four trips). It's mostly the taking away things and charging more that make it feel like work, and like I'm getting ripped off. Plus, the guest vibe is just...different.

Losing Magical Express and luggage delivery was huge for me. We loved entering that bubble at the airport, and that discontinuation added cost and stress for our sometimes large group. Room cleanliness was a huge factor - eight days in an uncleaned room is nasty, so we even booked a couple split stays to get clean rooms halfway through. Piled garbage and stinky food containers in hallways grossed me out, and our one resort had a BEAR sighting (wonder why?). Calling for towels, shampoo, coffee and not getting them. Very limited pool hours, broken hot tubs, filthy floors, dirty pools with bandaids floating in them, and unkempt landscaping...

Waiting 80 minutes to pick up Mobile Order food, and having it be wrong; being told that "no water was available" at a Quick Service location on a 95 degree July day. Untrained and surly Cast Members. No merch delivery to rooms. Waiting 75 minutes for Disney Transport multiple times. Lots and lots of broken down rides. The very worst was a Cast Member situation with the DAS that caused a life threatening medical issue, and then having the same Cast Member laugh about it and roll her eyes.

We love Disney and our memories there, but whatever this "new" Disney is - it wasn't magical for us this year. We saw a few glimpses of the old Disney certainly, but other guests also seemed so rushed, stressed, and unhappy - the vibe was terrible. I saw numerous guests cussing people out and confronting other guests - and we almost got attacked by a crazy lady during the fireworks at Magic Kingdom who was drunk and tried to stand on the cement fencing area by Plaza Ice Cream and was furious when she was told she couldn't do that (by a Cast Member). Never mind her kids that she told to climb onto our table WHERE WE WERE EATING to STAND and watch the fireworks. Shakes head. It was insane. Lol...so now you know :)
Oh my goodness 😞

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter