CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
The discussion was when the vaccine is widely available how long measures would be required.

The US is number 2 in the world in mask wearing and our cases are out of control. Perhaps they don’t work they way people believe they work?
The biggest proof to show that masks work is that throughout Europe were masks were worn by almost everyone in the summer months. you had no spread that could be attributed to daily living. This includes schools, shopping, working. All these places require masks. It wasn’t until colder weather moved families and friends together indoors , within their homes. These are places were people do not wear masks. bingo !! you have increased community spread.
Masks work - spread is happening at places where you do not wear masks.

and he will say something different next week.
I think Fauci‘s comment was on the near future. In addressing the country he has to deal with all intelligence levels. I’m pretty sure there are many out there that think once the first group are given the shot they can remove their masks. I agree with the PP. I’m not rushing this but if in 2022 if I’m required to still wear masks where a year orn6 months there’s been a vaccine available globally everywhere I will start having issues personally.

Will people know which vaccine they are getting?

I had read we could be getting back to normal by spring/summer and that anyone who wants the vaccine will be able to get it by June. Do we think that is true?

Do you think once people start getting vaccinated we will see the spread slow? I know it will take a while to get to everyone, but I thought I heard that by next month the first people can start getting the vaccine.
I think so too but I think the biggest factor is hospitalizations, deaths and severe illness. Think about it, if we had the current Covid cases but only a couple hundred hospitalizations and deaths there wouldn’t be a “pandemic”. It will be like the common flu.Half of Covid cases don’t even show symptoms.

Let’s try and pretend right now there’s no such thing as Covid, did any of us ever really notice if we had a light cough or a sniffle here and there?

I would think the biggest impact we would see in the data would be hospitalizations. I would hope that those would go drastically down. I’m actually kind of looking forward to those graphs and charts. My gut feeling is will see it right away I haven’t looked at any of the missing data but I would assume that even after the first shot there is some protection

I'd love to see a source for that. We still have states without mask mandates and compliance in many areas that do have them, at least on paper, is pretty dismal.

I can’t find the article where I got that from. So it’s probably not correct.

My county does not have a mask mandate, but when I go to the store, I would say 99% of the shoppers have one. But how much of the spread is really attributed to walking past someone in Publix?

I wear a mask every time I go out. For my work I wear an N95 when I’m in close contact with anyone. I don‘t go to bars and have only been to one restaurant since March (Whispering Canyon Cafe) . I am currently quarantining thanks to an outbreak at my daughter‘s daycare.

The vaccine can’t come fast enough.

This was on boston.com yesterday.

I am posting it not to prove or disprove anything [underlined](which it won’t, anyway 😂 ) but because the bolded part is something I haven’t seen discussed here (granted I might’ve missed it as I just caught up on like 12 pages).

No magic bullet

Vaccines aren’t always effective in everyone: Over the past decade, for example, seasonal flu vaccines have been effective in about 20% to 60% of people who get them.

AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna say early trial data suggests their vaccine candidates are about 90% or more effective. But those rates could change by the time the studies end.

Also, the definition of “effective” can vary.

Rather than prevent infection entirely, the first COVID-19 vaccines might only prevent illness. Vaccinated people might still be able to transmit the virus, another reason experts say masks will remain crucial for some time.

Another important aspect of vaccines: They can take awhile to work.

The first shot of a COVID-19 vaccine might bring about a degree of protection within a couple of weeks, meaning people who get infected might not get as sick as they otherwise would. But full protection could take up to two weeks after the second shot — or about six weeks after the first shot, said Deborah Fuller, a vaccine expert at the University of Washington.

People who don’t understand that lag could mistakenly think the vaccine made them sick if they happen to come down with COVID-19 soon after a shot. People might also blame the vaccine for unrelated health problems and amplify those fears online.

“All you need is a few people getting on social media,” said Moss of Johns Hopkins University.

There’s also the possibility of real side effects. COVID-19 vaccine trials have to include at least 30,000 people, but the chances of a rare side effect turning up are more likely as growing numbers of people are vaccinated.

Even if a link between the vaccine and a possible side effect seems likely, distribution of shots might not be halted if the risk is deemed small and is outweighed by the benefits, said Dr. Wilbur Chen, a vaccine expert at the University of Maryland.

But Chen said public health officials will need to clearly explain the relative risks to avoid public panic.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And just for discussion. We may be in for a bumpy ride:

But most people will probably have to wait months for shots to become widely available. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines also each require two doses, meaning people will have to go back for a second shot after three and four weeks, respectively, to get the full protection.

Moncef Slaoui, head of the U.S. vaccine development effort, said on CNN on Sunday that early data on the Pfizer and Moderna shots suggest about 70% of the population would need to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity — a milestone he said is likely to happen in May.

But along the way, experts say the logistical challenges of the biggest vaccination campaign in U.S. history and public fear and misinformation could hinder the effort and kick the end of the pandemic further down the road.

“It’s going to be a slow process and it’s going to be a process with ups and downs,
like we’ve seen already,” said Dr. Bill Moss, an infectious-disease expert at Johns Hopkins University.

Agree! I don’tn get people who are anti-vac in this case. Most have no legit reason except in their case “ to be a guinea pig”. And those I know who feel like this have not done any research on it themselves. I trust all the authorities globally. Granted I would be hesitant myself if let’s say the FDa approved by the EU didn’t, that would be a red flag. But that will not be the case I believe the flu vaccine there’s one in 1 million chance that you’ll have a serious effect. Covid has a worse outcome. I’m willing to have a shot “hang over” a day or two for Covid protection.

I believe I read somewhere that the vaccine will not prevent you from really spreading or they’re still trying to figure that out. Fauci compare this to the flu vaccine we can still chat virus but you won’t get sick.I know it’s the snarky side of me saying this but I hope it’s like that. That serves those right for not getting the shot who think OK I want others to get it so I’m protected.But then they are not. I am not one to wish illness and others, but come on if there’s a tool out there to prevent you from getting sick and you don’t use it well then .....

Believe me I’ve been pro mask from the beginning but if in a year and a half or so of a vaccine is widely available but a large group refuse to take it I’m not wearing my mask to protect you if you could’ve protected yourself.
I just think it’s fear-based, and I think we just need to have patience with those people, not snark at them and accuse them of being ignorant, etc., which will only make them dig their heels in deeper. They have their feelings and reasons, and that’s fine. Once the masses start becoming vaccinated and they see that nothing bad happens (other than, like I posted above, some dramatic viral stories that may not be based in fact), they’ll be more willing to think about it. What would be really ironically sad, would be someone waiting to take the vaccine and coming down with Covid while waiting and being one of the really unlucky ones. Or a beloved family member. I think that people will start to think about these things as they hear of people it’s happened to once the vaccines get rolling, and maybe have a change of heart. But they need time.

Ah, the masks. Because I’ve been wearing one for 36 years to protect myself, I’ll likely continue to wear one as long as there are still cases around, including during the interim of getting the vaccine, and for a while afterward, anyway. They really don’t bother me much and I don’t feel strongly about not wearing one. It’s also still unclear, and will be for a while, how this is going to act and whether we can still pick it up from people, etc. I imagine that viral load will still make a difference, so maybe after I’m vaccinated fully I might feel comfortable not wearing a mask outside, but in certain inside situations, I’ll wear one. I’ll have to play it by ear and see how it goes.

This was on boston.com yesterday.

I am posting it not to prove or disprove anything [underlined](which it won’t, anyway 😂 ) but because the bolded part is something I haven’t seen discussed here (granted I might’ve missed it as I just caught up on like 12 pages).

No magic bullet

Vaccines aren’t always effective in everyone: Over the past decade, for example, seasonal flu vaccines have been effective in about 20% to 60% of people who get them.

AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna say early trial data suggests their vaccine candidates are about 90% or more effective. But those rates could change by the time the studies end.

Also, the definition of “effective” can vary.

Rather than prevent infection entirely, the first COVID-19 vaccines might only prevent illness. Vaccinated people might still be able to transmit the virus, another reason experts say masks will remain crucial for some time.

Another important aspect of vaccines: They can take awhile to work.

The first shot of a COVID-19 vaccine might bring about a degree of protection within a couple of weeks, meaning people who get infected might not get as sick as they otherwise would. But full protection could take up to two weeks after the second shot — or about six weeks after the first shot, said Deborah Fuller, a vaccine expert at the University of Washington.

People who don’t understand that lag could mistakenly think the vaccine made them sick if they happen to come down with COVID-19 soon after a shot. People might also blame the vaccine for unrelated health problems and amplify those fears online.

“All you need is a few people getting on social media,” said Moss of Johns Hopkins University.

There’s also the possibility of real side effects. COVID-19 vaccine trials have to include at least 30,000 people, but the chances of a rare side effect turning up are more likely as growing numbers of people are vaccinated.

Even if a link between the vaccine and a possible side effect seems likely, distribution of shots might not be halted if the risk is deemed small and is outweighed by the benefits, said Dr. Wilbur Chen, a vaccine expert at the University of Maryland.

But Chen said public health officials will need to clearly explain the relative risks to avoid public panic.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And just for discussion. We may be in for a bumpy ride:

But most people will probably have to wait months for shots to become widely available. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines also each require two doses, meaning people will have to go back for a second shot after three and four weeks, respectively, to get the full protection.

Moncef Slaoui, head of the U.S. vaccine development effort, said on CNN on Sunday that early data on the Pfizer and Moderna shots suggest about 70% of the population would need to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity — a milestone he said is likely to happen in May.

But along the way, experts say the logistical challenges of the biggest vaccination campaign in U.S. history and public fear and misinformation could hinder the effort and kick the end of the pandemic further down the road.

“It’s going to be a slow process and it’s going to be a process with ups and downs,
like we’ve seen already,” said Dr. Bill Moss, an infectious-disease expert at Johns Hopkins University.

no one is arguing that things will be tough until the vax is fully circulated.

But there’s absolutely no reason to downplay the meaning and importance of what has occurred here.

no one is arguing that things will be tough until the vax is fully circulated.

But there’s absolutely no reason to downplay the meaning and importance of what has occurred here.
I'm pretty sure that once again, they are trying to manipulate behavior. The top priority sometimes seems like parsing messages for maximum effect on behavior. In this case, they might be trying to downplay the vaccine a bit so people don't give up on their mitigation efforts too soon.

Just like I believe the message in the early days about masks not working (to get people to leave them for medical staff), they need to be careful. Their very good intentions could turn out to backfire if people don't see this remarkable advancement for what it is, and choose not to fully embrace the vaccine. I can absolutely see people saying "If I still need a mask, why bother getting it?"

Much damage was already done by politicizing it so much.

I just think it’s fear-based, and I think we just need to have patience with those people, not snark at them and accuse them of being ignorant, etc., which will only make them dig their heels in deeper. They have their feelings and reasons, and that’s fine. Once the masses start becoming vaccinated and they see that nothing bad happens (other than, like I posted above, some dramatic viral stories that may not be based in fact), they’ll be more willing to think about it. What would be really ironically sad, would be someone waiting to take the vaccine and coming down with Covid while waiting and being one of the really unlucky ones. Or a beloved family member. I think that people will start to think about these things as they hear of people it’s happened to once the vaccines get rolling, and maybe have a change of heart. But they need time.
Yes, it is fear based. I'm afraid of what long term side effects there might for this vaccine, for me and my offspring. And while scientists THINK there won't be any, how can they say for sure when you haven't had time pass. Doctors/scientists thought smoking was ok. How did that turn out? And yes, once MILLIONS get the vaccine and there aren't many reports of side effects, I will feel better about getting it myself.

Yes, it is fear based. I'm afraid of what long term side effects there might for this vaccine, for me and my offspring. And while scientists THINK there won't be any, how can they say for sure when you haven't had time pass. Doctors/scientists thought smoking was ok. How did that turn out? And yes, once MILLIONS get the vaccine and there aren't many reports of side effects, I will feel better about getting it myself.

Totally understandable. Everyone should certainly be allowed to decide when they are comfortable with getting any vaccine. What we need to do, I'll say again, is to educate this country. Who, how? Above my paygrade, but it has to be done. Once there's been enough time for everyone to get vaccinated that wants to, there might be some places the unvaccinated won't be allowed to go - and they're going to have to accept that. Just my take.

Totally understandable. Everyone should certainly be allowed to decide when they are comfortable with getting any vaccine. What we need to do, I'll say again, is to educate this country. Who, how? Above my paygrade, but it has to be done. Once there's been enough time for everyone to get vaccinated that wants to, there might be some places the unvaccinated won't be allowed to go - and they're going to have to accept that. Just my take.

I am wondering how many companies will start requiring proof of vaccination once it rolls out and is available.

I think the travel industry will be one of the first to institute a need for vaccination in some way, shape, or form. Perhaps if you don't have it, you will still be required to quarantine, or wear masks, or who knows what the future holds.

Ah, the masks. Because I’ve been wearing one for 36 years to protect myself, I’ll likely continue to wear one as long as there are still cases around, including during the interim of getting the vaccine, and for a while afterward, anyway. They really don’t bother me much and I don’t feel strongly about not wearing one. It’s also still unclear, and will be for a while, how this is going to act and whether we can still pick it up from people, etc. I imagine that viral load will still make a difference, so maybe after I’m vaccinated fully I might feel comfortable not wearing a mask outside, but in certain inside situations, I’ll wear one. I’ll have to play it by ear and see how it goes.
I’ve said this many times but I gave side eye right away when they first said masks didn’t do anything and then they don’t protect you they protect others. I’m by no means an expert but my dad spent the better part of five years in the ICU for various reasons and during that time I had to wear gown, mask and gloves to visit him on many occasions. At least half of those occasions it was to protect ME. I understand that they were trying to protect healthcare workers but I still get so damn angry about it. I just feel like if they delivered the message better (save the masks for healthcare providers but cover your nose and mouth with whatever you have) we’d be in a much better position and more people would be accepting of it. Anyway, I’ll continue to wear a mask if that’s what’s needed. Hell I might continue after they say it’s not needed. Would be nice not to catch some random crud from the guy behind me at the DMV.

Something that has gone wildly underreported that deserves major attention:

Three studies, incredible efficacy, yes. But ZERO DEATHS. Not one vaccine recipient in any of the studies has died of Covid.

That is massive.

Even more impressive, NO SEVERE ILNESS. As in, no hospitalizations. That's amazing news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter