CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder about this. I also wonder about the fact that the majority of long haulers seem to be women. Now, I am NOT saying this is the case, but women tend to suffer more from anxiety related conditions than men do, and a LOT of these long hauler symptoms mirror anxiety symptoms. I have anxiety and suffer from heart palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, brain fog, etc. I have never had Covid and have dealt with this for years. It's just how the body reacts physically to the mental state of anxiety. I truly wonder how much this phenomenon is a mental condition, rather than directly caused by the virus.

I know there are many patients who have actual findings that suggest long term issues, like actual lung or heart damage. I am not talking about these people. I do find it interesting though, the gender and age profiles of the majority of long haulers seem to be women between 35 and 55. Or maybe those are just the demographics most likely to join online support groups and talk about it? Who knows. I read an article that touched on this and I've been curious about it ever since.

Definitely women are more inclined to respond to surveys, and women are more apt to seek medical care and visit a doctor. These are known facts.

I was specifically responding to the fact that someone claimed to feel better after getting a vaccine as if the vaccine was a treatment.

Long haul symptoms are definitely real. Talk to an endocrinologist, hematologist, cardiologist, etc. Many symptoms can’t be diagnosed as easily as diagnosing COVID positivity. For example, one could have perfect oxygen saturation but still feel fatigue symptoms because the heart is not pumping blood sufficiently and properly. You would need an ECG at least to source the issue.

Last edited:
Hope the J&J gets final approval tomorrow.

But, I’m expecting there will be much more surplus of vaccines in the US by late Summer/Fall. We will hit a cliff of demand at some point even if the rate of vaccine production doesn’t continue to increase and are plentiful because there’s just simply a large chunk of the US population (maybe not on disboards) unwilling to get a vaccine. It is promising, though, that the unwilling percentage has continued to climb to its current high of about 25% from most recent surveys I’ve seen. But, a surplus is still good because the whole world needs to be vaccinated sooner. Just inoculating the US is like creating a bubble.

I’m curious what the US study will show. The UK study had some issues, but the US has (iirc) more people and a much larger elderly group, and had no dosing issues.

I think I’d still take AZ tomorrow vs Pfizer/Modern in a few months, if that was the offer - but I admit I’d hope for the opportunity to later also get one of the mRNA ones.

My kids would happily take the Johnson and Johnson shot if it meant they could get it tomorrow. I think the J&J has been tested against the variants and has shown to be productive. My kids hate shots and to get them even as semi adults to take the flu shot I have to incentivize it. They would happily line up for a one shot deal (after I promise to venmo them)

I'm not sure what I think about the numbers. Reporting and testing parameters have changed. Are numbers really dropping that significantly due to lower infection rate or the changes?
I'm going with a little bit of both. Death and Hospitalization numbers are also coming down. Many people thought that the testing threshold was too low, but changing that doesn't change how many people are dead or in a hospital.

I agree. You’ll see this with the J&J vaccine.
Eh, I think I prefer J&J. One shot, a still very good efficacy even against the variants (in fact still on the upper end of what we was hoped for all those months ago), and 100% effective against death. Considering I’m not even high risk in the first place, it takes an unlikely to be deadly-for-me disease and makes it a flu. In one shot.

Eh, I think I prefer J&J. One shot, a still very good efficacy even against the variants (in fact still on the upper end of what we was hoped for all those months ago), and 100% effective against death. Considering I’m not even high risk in the first place, it takes an unlikely to be deadly-for-me disease and makes it a flu. In one shot.
I'm kind of hoping my young adult kids can get the J&J shot. Given the choice of all 3, I'd suggest that one. Of course the truth is they'll take whichever one they're offered first.

I agree. You’ll see this with the J&J vaccine.

I'm not sure we will. It sounds like Germany is still in an earlier stage of their rollout, with the emphasis on health care workers and the elderly, and I think those are the groups most likely to care about every percentage point of their risk reduction. We're approving the less (but still highly) effective vaccines just as we're moving into more of a general-population stage, so the pushback over the differences shouldn't be as severe.

There are a lot of people in this country who are thinking of the vaccine not in terms of a need for protection for themselves but as a box to check to proceed along the path back to normal. College kids, for example - my daughter's school has hinted that vaccination might be required for dorm living, and she's been advised that it will almost certainly be needed to study abroad or take certain internships and placements. I doubt many 18-to-22yos who are hearing messages like that care much whether the jab they get is 70% effective or 90% effective. They just want the proof of vaccination so they can do all the things they're told to do during their college years to ensure success in the job market after graduation. The same goes for a lot of the people I know on the younger end of middle age (30s and 40s), who just want to get a vaccine to help protect older loved ones and/or to resume traveling. Plus our country has geographical considerations that aren't as challenging in most of Europe, in terms of vast rural areas with low population and few medical resources where the J&J vaccine is simply the most practical one to offer because of the different storage and administration guidelines. I think that will add up to more than enough people willing to accept whatever vaccine they can get.

I'm not sure we will. It sounds like Germany is still in an earlier stage of their rollout, with the emphasis on health care workers and the elderly, and I think those are the groups most likely to care about every percentage point of their risk reduction. We're approving the less (but still highly) effective vaccines just as we're moving into more of a general-population stage, so the pushback over the differences shouldn't be as severe.

There are a lot of people in this country who are thinking of the vaccine not in terms of a need for protection for themselves but as a box to check to proceed along the path back to normal. College kids, for example - my daughter's school has hinted that vaccination might be required for dorm living, and she's been advised that it will almost certainly be needed to study abroad or take certain internships and placements. I doubt many 18-to-22yos who are hearing messages like that care much whether the jab they get is 70% effective or 90% effective. They just want the proof of vaccination so they can do all the things they're told to do during their college years to ensure success in the job market after graduation. The same goes for a lot of the people I know on the younger end of middle age (30s and 40s), who just want to get a vaccine to help protect older loved ones and/or to resume traveling. Plus our country has geographical considerations that aren't as challenging in most of Europe, in terms of vast rural areas with low population and few medical resources where the J&J vaccine is simply the most practical one to offer because of the different storage and administration guidelines. I think that will add up to more than enough people willing to accept whatever vaccine they can get.

Excellent points. Totally agreed. Frankly, younger people NEED less protection than older people.

Think about this:

220 pages ago, we were arguing about when we might even HAVE a vaccine and if it would even work...

Now we're debating the different options like foods on a buffet!

This is a GOOD THING!!!
Absolutely! :cheer2:

Meanwhile, my daughter's large flagship university (30K students) just announced that they are having in person graduation ceremonies this year! :flower1: I get choked up just thinking about it. She doesn't graduate for 2 years, but I'm just so happy for those families and students. And thrilled for the hope it brings. I finally see a tiny light flickering at the end of a very long dark tunnel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter