CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you had spectator restrictions for this past fall and spring? I think schools and colleges will feel more comfortable having more spectators come this fall or at least I hope that is the case.

My son is currently a senior in high school who plays 3 sports - He was finally able to play basketball but it is a very shortened season - he is allowed to have 2 spectators. Football which should have been played in the fall will be starting March 1 - hopefully he will be allowed to have 2 spectators and Lacrosse will start on April 15th. This past fall no spectators were allowed at any college sports in NY so I fully expect to be watching my kid in person in the fall. Maybe no tailgating but I hope to be watching games in person.

Currently we have been told no spectators for spring lacrosse but I am hopeful that will change and I can get to see my senior play in her final season. My other daughter is a sophomore so we have more opportunities but the kids have been practicing since the last week in January and I know they are itching to play a game.

I get that there are bad outcomes other than death, but can we agree that death is still worse than being a long hauler?

I get that there are bad outcomes other than death, but can we agree that death is still worse than being a long hauler?
I think that's a bad faith argument used to suit your original argument respectfully speaking because no one was saying it was wrong to go that route. It's just but one route to go on. IMO most states will benefit from multi-approaches because age doesn't just determine everything but neither does work setting and neither does living situation. I mentioned this before months ago. And I also mentioned that states may need to shift priority to one strategy over another for a time before switching back. This isn't a binary situation such that there is but one right and but one wrong path and you cannot deviate from it. Doing it by age may make sense for a time but so does looking at where the spread is occurring and so does looking at occupational hazards. It's okay to be fluid. Also percentage of vaccination rate isn't the only metric one should be looking at. That can mean efficiency in process, willingness to get it, etc. It doesn't mean by virtue it affects other things.

I think many people would rather be alive than dead, but I also think many people would rather not be a long-hauler than someone who contracted covid and was only out for a few days but I also think many people would rather not get covid to begin with and if you ask my 33 year old friend she's in the "I need a paycheck I don't want covid"

So do we think the higher numbers today, yesterday and now the 7 day average ticking up just a hair is a result of the bad weather last week and the holiday giving big lows or are the faster spreading varients starting to take hold like predicted?

So do we think the higher numbers today, yesterday and now the 7 day average ticking up just a hair is a result of the bad weather last week and the holiday giving big lows or are the faster spreading varients starting to take hold like predicted?
I think it’s too early to know. Need more than a few days to judge anything on.

I feel like we might hover around this spot in a bit of a plateau for a little bit - up a bit some days, down others but hovering between 55,000-65,000 cases. Between some variant spread, loosening restrictions in some places and people starting to travel for spring break it feels like we might be done with the very steep declines for a bit but I doubt we see a big surge either. Based on nothing but my own hunch. 😂 I think the next steep decline will come late March/early April when the vaccine should be pretty widespread.

If you look back, I predicted this week would be flat to slightly higher but next week, we’d start to drop again- I hope I get the second half of that right!

So in my city the mayor is calling on the governor of NY to set aside 30% of the vaccines for inner city residents who do not have the transportation to get to the large state run vaccination centers. She is also calling on the governor to make sure that centers are set up in the city to allow city residents the opportunity to get to the appointments. I think she has a very valid point. The state has set up a new distribution site in the city that will begin to make appointments today for residents that live in certain zip codes first and then open up to the rest of the city and surrounding regions the following week. I hope that this has its desired effect.

I think that states can have all the plans they want but demand is going to continue to outstrip supply until we get some other vaccines in the pipeline. I hope the J&J is approved this week and starts to be used next week. I know I would be happy to get my kids vaccinated with that. I call them kids but their ages are 18 to 23. I would love for them to be vaccinated before a return to college in the fall and before our vacation in August.

So in my city the mayor is calling on the governor of NY to set aside 30% of the vaccines for inner city residents who do not have the transportation to get to the large state run vaccination centers. She is also calling on the governor to make sure that centers are set up in the city to allow city residents the opportunity to get to the appointments. I think she has a very valid point. The state has set up a new distribution site in the city that will begin to make appointments today for residents that live in certain zip codes first and then open up to the rest of the city and surrounding regions the following week. I hope that this has its desired effect.

I think that states can have all the plans they want but demand is going to continue to outstrip supply until we get some other vaccines in the pipeline. I hope the J&J is approved this week and starts to be used next week. I know I would be happy to get my kids vaccinated with that. I call them kids but their ages are 18 to 23. I would love for them to be vaccinated before a return to college in the fall and before our vacation in August.
I predict- based on JNJ and Novavax- that every college kid who wishes to be vaccinated will be in plenty of time for school.

I predict- based on JNJ and Novavax- that every college kid who wishes to be vaccinated will be in plenty of time for school.
I sure hope so!

My daughter's school is putting out a fall course schedule assuming most classes will be in person near typical capacity. (Since enrollment starts in a couple weeks, they sort of had to commit on something). Of course, that doesn't preclude them pulling back and changing if things don't pan out. But it was very encouraging.

And the news continues to predict a new surge of cases in April and May.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/24/health/us-coronavirus-wednesday/index.html

A prime example of crappy spin - headline: "variant fueled surge of covid-19 could be weeks away". Reporter's words "variant first detected in the UK is likely to fuel another surge of cases". Actual expert quote: "It (the UK variant) could result in more of a wave in, say, April or May than we would have seen otherwise." The expert projection isn't sunshine and rainbows, but it is worded in far more neutral/moderate language than the ways it is described in the media coverage. Which is, I think, pretty typical of the pattern recent coverage has fallen into.

I sure hope so, and that shutdown orders/operating restrictions are relaxed accordingly as more people are vaccinated so that classes can actually resume in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter