Carousel of Progress

:bounce:

I like to bring to everyone's attention the new and the most updated version of the "Tribute to Disney's Carousel of Progress" video found on site www.carouselofprogress.com

This one is sure to give you the goose-bumps if you're a COP lover.

Thanks to the many people that helped retrieve the archive information like General Electric Historical Museum and of course Disney.

High speed access is the best but not necessary.

So crank up your speakers and sing along!!!!!

Also featured is part of the "Now is the TIme" version of 1985.

There is also a video about Disney's making of the COP on the site.

ENJOY !

Thanks

Tom

Comments appreciated.

When the Carousel of Progress first opened, and also described in the video that plays outside it, it was billed as having six stages. As only four are in use, that suggests adding scenes later.

One problem is that the entire show might get too long. A way of alleviating that would be to eliminate the carousel concept but add more scenes and arrange them in rooms in a straight line and then people could walk into and out of them and come back to see the last few scenes later.

Another COP idea:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I do agree there should be an interim stage for the 60's era, but you still need the entrance stage (people being seated) and the exit stage (people leaving)

With good traffic control, there would be an extra stage if the exiting crowd goes to the left and the entering crowd comes in on the right at the same stage area.

I always did think it was a waste of space to have two stage areas, one for exit and one for enter enter. + the 4 shows = 6 stages.

It was good to do this in the 60's with 1 1/2 hour wait lines.

Un.. believable. Wait in lines longer than any other Disney attraction at the park!

Does anyone know if the COP is open this week anytime??

I heard it was but wanted to verify!!

If it is open everyone should ride it as many times as possible so they know it's a loved ride!

We always ride COP lots and lots of times on each visit. We know all the scenes by heart. It is one of our favorite shows in all the parks. We will be going again Dec 11-21 so we sure do hope it is going to be open.

We will also be there the first week of Dec and hope it is open. We love this show and always come out humming the song. :teeth:

I missed seeing the COP during our October visit, but loved the website devoted to everything COP. I hope it's open for our August 2003 visit.

One thing I noted (unless my BB memory is going) is that the MK COP attraction moves counterclockwise vs. the clockwise movements on the 1964 WF and 1967 DL versions. Anyone else notice this?

I've never been in COP but it will be a must do on this trip providing it's still open when I get there.

Most Recent Comments

I grew up in Los Angeles and remember vividly when the Carousel moved from Disneyland to Florida, I was crushed. When visiting Florida for the first time 10 years ago, I cried through most of the showing of The Carousel Of Progress, yet was comforted knowing it was intact and ready to experience when I again traveled back to Orlando, which I have done 4 more times. I sincerely hope and pray that the one and only, genuine, and completely original Walt Disney's Carousel Of Progress will still be turning when I visit this year. I thank you very much for your efforts. Michael

SAVE THE COP...Why not close a "Small World" and Cinderella's Castle while you're at it? Seems to be the "New Disney" trend these days. UNFORGIVABLE! Sally R

I just hate to see the company take away any of the original parts that Walt touched. I know the argument is that he loved change and progress but we have to save as many of his original ideas as possible.

I don't think Disney realizes how popular the attraction is. I know I would not make family plans to go to WDW unless the COP was in operation. Why don't they find a sponsor. That seems to be the real problem here. If they had the sponsor, the attraction would always be open without a doubt. Notice the only two attractions closed seasonally are the COP and Timekeeper...both sponsorless!!! COME ON DISNEY...you can do better! Matt

It seems that what started out as a fresh novel idea by a small group of creative people has become an evil empire bent on destroying any vestige of it's original creators. Please stop this madness before everyone gets tired of the cold soulnessness of the "New Disney" and stops going altogether.

I love this attraction and would hate to see it gone. As a lon-time Disney park-goer and fan, I really appreciate the nostalga value of it. Disney should realize by now that a tremendous amount of memories have been accrued over the years by thousands of people who experienced this attraction and others of an earlier time. Two others I would bring back are If you had wings and Voyage Through Inner Space (Disney Land).
Sincerely,
Suzi

I look forward to riding this every year, but its no longer open when I go....I try not to go in the peak seasons, so I can enjoy the World and all its glory. Please keep it open, its my favorite ride.

This is one of the last vestiges of the true Walt vision. We love this ride, and will be down at Disney on 11/27-30/02 and 12/17-20/02. We would love to see this show again!!! Save the COP!!

The Carousel of Progress in one of the few things in WDW that is truly "WALT DISNEY". For the WDW Co. to remove the ride would be a travesty to the creator himself. To me the removal of COP would send a message to the visitors that Walt is nothing more than a name they use not an inventor or and inspiration to the youth of the world that no matter how many times you fail that you must keep trying. If Walt had given up there would be no WDW and nothing for the current money hungry power people to make this $ off of. Ok, so its my rant but its also my opinion.

Save cop. Please don't shut it down or destroy it like Horizons.

Thank you

Looking at the COP video brought back incredible memories. I saw the COP at the NY worlds fair and I thought it was the best attraction. Then when I heard they had moved it to WDW I was thrilled. We would go up to WDW 4 or 5 times a year just to see the COP !! The last time we went on the ride it broke down twice. I could not believe how WDW had let this wonderful attraction deteriorate. It makes me sick what they have done. Thank you so much for bringing the COP attraction to the internet. Every weekend I watch it and the songs actually give me goose bumps. What great memories, thanks again. Mark

This ride is a glance back into our history as a country that pursued the advancement to technology. Kids today need to be reminded of how people lived prior to cell phones, computers and remote controls. Might make them better appreciate the things they have now. COP is my all-time favorite ride. I can still remember the first time I was at WDW and wanted to ride it again & again. Please, do not close this exhibit. It is the last thing remaining of Walt Disney. With the closure of Horizons (another original concept by Walt) and World of Motion at Epcot, Walt's legacy on technology and dreaming of new things yet to come are quickly going away. Keep Walt alive through the COP ride. It is great for all - young & old!!!

I love this ride. It's a classic which Disney is seeming to forget about. All the classics are slowly but surely leaving, hopefully this one will stay to entertain generations to come.

We have been to wdw many times & cop was always on the top of the list. We just got back & two years in a row now it was closed. We pay top money to go to wdw & expect everything we pay for. We were there 12/9-12/16 & it was CROWED so it should have been open. They keep telling us Dec. is a good time to go, then close some of attractions. C.O.P is Walt Disney. Leave it alone.

I first saw the COP about a dozen years ago with its "Now is the Time" theme before returning to its original "Great Big Beautiful tomorrow" theme. I guess a lot of it does have to do with nostalgia but it also has a character to it that links generations of families together. It really is a signature attraction of WDW, at least the legacy that once was. I don't know if its a question of maintenance cost or whatever, all I know is that every "new and improved" attraction that comes along fizzles out just as fast as it comes, "EPCOT, Journey into Imagination" take note. All I know is that The COP is an attraction that I always look forward to seeing and I'm sadly disappointed not getting the opportunity to see it because of who knows why. Please, don't screw up again.

Bob

we raised our girls at Disney world and the first attraction we always rushed to was the COP..Please do not let this great attraction go !!

I am a New York World's Fair enthusiast and it was that fair that has so much influence on my career today. The carousel of progress is a significant part of what influenced my interest in automated show in themed entertainment.
There should be a few things that are kept as your pride and joy and a link to one's past. COP is one such example.

I would actually consider going all the way to Florida just to see the Carousel of Progress and the Country Bear Jamboree, both are now gone from Disneyland.

Our family visits WDW at least once each year. The COP is ALWAYS an attraction on our MUST SEE list. During a recent visit, the COP was not operating and we were disappointed to learn this original attraction created by Walt himself may be closing forever! Rather than contemplating the replacement of a Disney original, we believe Walt's imagineers should be building an extension into the 21st century. This way future generations can continue to enjoy an attraction Walt himself created to help us understand as he did the importance of where we've been so we can envision where we're headed. The COP blends two of Walt's main themes in a relaxing and upbeat presentation that demonstrates how family and progress can successfully glide into the future together. When progress begins to encroach upon the very essence of that which it claims to stand for, it's obviously time for WDW to reevaluate exactly what it is that they do stand for. It is our sincere hope that Walter E. Disney's original values still drive the business and the COP has as many great big beautiful tomorrows as the world it exists in. Very truly yours, The Wood Family

This is a piece of American history that needs to be saved for future generations. I want my grandchildren to enjoy the Carousel of Progress!

I hear the COP was open on Feb 13th and most of last week..:bounce:

On your next trip to WDW.....

Let us know if the COP is open or closed.

I would like to keep track of it.

Maybe, just maybe, they are taking the feedbacks from www.carouselofprogress.com to heart!

They should with over 104,000 hits in 6 months!

Thanks everyone for the support!

Tom

Just stumbled upon your web site and must say that I am impressed with your dedication to this classic Disney attraction.

Back in the late 70’s-early 80’s I was an operator and attraction lead in Tomorowland at WDW. One of my many assignments was GE/Eastern (smaller attractions were combined under one lead). Even though 20 years have passed, I still vividly remember the show.

Of course, there were the endless hours you could be “frozen” in the “inside” rotation and hear the show again and again. Or that awful feeling you had when you forgot to put your showcar into ready mode after the spiel, or even the “morse code” you learned to tap out on the green operator seated lights to break the boredom and communicate with your fellow operators in adjacent showcars (former cast members know what I’m talking about). But I was young and made great friends at Disney, and out of the many attractions I worked on at my time at WDW, I always enjoyed GE/Eastern.

It has been years since I’ve visited the park, but I am sure that if I did, the attractions that remain from the 70’s (and there are apparently fewer and fewer of them) would take me back to my young adulthood… kind of like a reunion. Thanks for working to preserve that.

Was at Magic Kingdom today. COP was not opened.

:(

I am keeping somewhat of a close record on this. I do appreciate the follow ups.

Thanks

Tomko

We have been luck enough to see COP each trip, but we go during the July 4th week. They usually open up COP and Timekeeper then. :)

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

I will be back there June 16-19 and will let you know if I find it open then. Maybe one day I will see it again!

-jason

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter