CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if any one has info on Cozumel, Belize, Rotan, and Grand Cayman ports, I'd be appreciate. I've been looking at tours online, but not sure which ones yet.
In Cozumel we were with a friend who'd been there many many times-we rented moped scooters and toured the island, then stopped at some dive place on the water for lunch. So good and the guy who owns it had just caught a large crab-he ended up frying it as appetizer for us at no charge (he got a good tip!).
We've got Moby Dick's reserved for our sting ray snorkel and then the hubs and dd are doing a scuba (Carnival excursion- John Heald posted a 10% discount code on earth day!) while the boy and I may try to get to Hell or maybe just Sunset house for lunch

Carnival Magic Review -- Spring Break 2019 -- Western Caribbean

Hi everyone I have some time this morning so I figure I will get started on a review of our trip. Most of my pictures will be of myself, my husband, my ten year old son, and my 8 year old daughter. We met up with my husbands family (they live across the country) for this cruise. They picked the date and the actual cruise since their kids are older and can't miss school. We actually have already done this exact cruise on the dream several years ago.

We have sailed on many lines Carnival, Disney, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Costa. I have never had a bad cruise. We have sailed on Carnival 5 times. I am open to sail any cruise but often found that Carnival has a good price and the islands we want. As I mentioned earlier we try to pick newer/updated ships when we sail with the kids. They love the waterslides, ropes course, etc. When its just my husband and I we aren't that picky. I love getting off the ship and exploring the islands.

I will say that this was our most expensive cruise yet. The spring break dates made the sailing more than we are used to paying and flights were really high. And you will see later that we spent a bit more on excursions than we normally do.

Ok I think that is enough background info. I tend to ramble. :)

The first day is always a bit crazy. The sailing before us got delayed in customs so boarding was delayed. It was just one line for everyone to get into it didn't matter your arrival time that Carnival gave you. The line was long but it actually moved pretty fast and we got on right when we should have anyways.

We got are photo taken. My son was getting a bit impatient. ha ha
2019-03-31_17-44-48_000.png

We went and had lunch. We love all of the different options that carnival had instead of just a buffet. My husband got guys burgers, my son had the Mongolian wok, I had fish tacos, and my daughter had pizza.
2019-03-31_13-37-08_430.jpeg

The kids enjoyed the waterslides. We had fun at the sail away party.

2019-03-31_14-30-12_029new.jpg

We met up with my husbands family at dinner each night. We enjoyed most of our meals in the dining room. I loved the strawberry soup. Its always a favorite. The brisket and the mahi mahi were all hits. And of course the chocolate melting cake.
2019-03-31_18-44-54_799.jpg

Sea Day

We spent our sea day riding the water slides, swimming and playing on the ropes course and mini golf. My husband loves to play dodgeball in the mornings.

My daughter and I went to sea day brunch. I love getting the fun French toast (covered in frosted flakes) and she enjoys the pancakes covered in chocolate.

We tried something new this time and went to tea time. It was cute and I would do it again. Lipton tea is free but they other "fancier" teas for under $2. I got a mint one. The desserts were yummy.

Attachments

• 2019-04-01_09-19-21_274new.jpg
    2019-04-01_09-19-21_274new.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 2019-04-01_15-12-49_295new.jpg
    2019-04-01_15-12-49_295new.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2019-04-01_10-02-55_806.jpg
    2019-04-01_10-02-55_806.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 14
Sea Day continued...

It was the first of two formal nights for this cruise. My son wasn't into getting pictures as you can see. We managed to finally get an ok one of our little family. We also got one of all the cousins and then are entire group

Lobster was on the menu so everyone gets excited. I don't care for it. My husband got two.

The kids enjoyed watching Bumblebee pool side and even had a late night swim.

Attachments

• 2019-04-06_21-41-07_799.jpeg
    2019-04-06_21-41-07_799.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 2019-04-06_21-41-39_328.jpeg
    2019-04-06_21-41-39_328.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2019-04-17_13-44-40_021.jpeg
    2019-04-17_13-44-40_021.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 21
Sea Day

We spent our sea day riding the water slides, swimming and playing on the ropes course and mini golf. My husband loves to play dodgeball in the mornings.

My daughter and I went to sea day brunch. I love getting the fun French toast (covered in frosted flakes) and she enjoys the pancakes covered in chocolate.

We tried something new this time and went to tea time. It was cute and I would do it again. Lipton tea is free but they other "fancier" teas for under $2. I got a mint one. The desserts were yummy.
Thanks for your review

Grand Cayman

We have been to Grand Cayman a few times. On our honeymoon we did an island tour to Hell, Turtle farm, etc. And we have gone to seven mile beach. This time we decided to walk to Eden Rock to snorkel and then head to Cemetery beach. (the end of 7 mile beach.

Eden Rock was a short walk maybe 10 minutes tops to the right when we got off the tender. There is a dive shop there if you need to rent anything. We got our own equipment at Costco and it has paid for itself. There was stuff to see right when we got in. (There is a ladder). Lots of fans and these fish with cool wing like fins. There was even a small octopus in a hole in the rock right by the ladder (you can see a tentacle in the picture) There are three buoys that mark where to snorkel. They aren't necessarily close but not too far. I am an ok swimmer and I could do it no problem. Out there was where the coral was and just lots more to see.

Attachments

• P4020014small.jpg
    P4020014small.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 20
  • P4020026small.jpg
    P4020026small.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 20
  • P4020039small.jpg
    P4020039small.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 19
  • P4020063small.jpg
    P4020063small.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 21
  • P4020093small.jpg
    P4020093small.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 21
Grand Cayman

We have been to Grand Cayman a few times. On our honeymoon we did an island tour to Hell, Turtle farm, etc. And we have gone to seven mile beach. This time we decided to walk to Eden Rock to snorkel and then head to Cemetery beach. (the end of 7 mile beach.

Eden Rock was a short walk maybe 10 minutes tops to the right when we got off the tender. There is a dive shop there if you need to rent anything. We got our own equipment at Costco and it has paid for itself. There was stuff to see right when we got in. (There is a ladder). Lots of fans and these fish with cool wing like fins. There was even a small octopus in a hole in the rock right by the ladder (you can see a tentacle in the picture) There are three buoys that mark where to snorkel. They aren't necessarily close but not too far. I am an ok swimmer and I could do it no problem. Out there was where the coral was and just lots more to see.

I'd love to know what you took your underwater pictures with. They look amazing.

Grand Cayman continued...

We walked back to the cab stand about 5 minutes and got a cab to cemetery beach. It was about $6 a person.
Its called cemetery beach because its right next to a cemetery :)

There are no facilities here so it keeps the crowds away

It was beautiful and just what we wanted. We put our towels down in the shade and played in the water all day.

Attachments

• P4020115new.jpg
    P4020115new.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2019-04-02_10-35-36_152new.jpg
    2019-04-02_10-35-36_152new.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 17
  • P4020108mew.jpg
    P4020108mew.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 16
  • P4020114new.jpg
    P4020114new.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 15
Apparently Carnival is slowly starting Netflix streaming on their ships now?

I can imagine DCL will do the same thing with its upcoming streaming service...

Apparently Carnival is slowly starting Netflix streaming on their ships now?

I can imagine DCL will do the same thing with its upcoming streaming service...

Oh that could be dangerous, though kiddo likes to watch something while he falls asleep so that could be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter