Car charging at DVC resorts

Should be included with the cost of the person using the charger, I'm sure ChargPoint or any of the other charging station companies have figured this out. Currently there are a lot of "free" chargers out there, but I'm sure in a few more years these "free" chargers will start costing EV owners money for the charge.
Thanks for the quick response and information.

In addition to the above, the superchargers have no interface. They have technology that recognizes the car and that's how they bill you. Some older Tesla's came with unlimited lifetime charging included, so the system has to know who you are in order to bill you. That part of the communication between the car and the charger is proprietary. If Tesla does open them up to other vehicles, the adapter will likely be tied to the account.

This isn't entirely true. When Tesla developed their current plug, the J1772 standard was already established. When they built the Roadster, the standard was not yet in place, but mostly there. The Roadster's electronics meet the standard, but the connector is different. Tesla could have used the standard connector for the newer cars, but chose not to.
J1772 would not have worked for dc fast charging though ...which has always been key and at the time they were the only long range EV maker.

They could have of course switched to CCS by now but had very little reason to in the US.

I'm guessing if we are to go electric cars, we are going to need a lot more charging stations everywhere and we will need a universal charging setup so you can charge any car at any charging station.

Not exactly there is already testing being done on tech that can basically charge your car while you are driving down specific roads that are designed for it. Additionally you already have vehicles going like 450 miles on a single charge as well in real world conditions.

Also with something like Tesla and they had wireless charging the vehicles themselves could rotate through the charger or you could have an automated charge port arm that extends to the vehicle. This would work well for resorts and hotels where you essentially have your vehicle parked for 10/15/20 hours without touching the vehicle anyways as you wouldn't need a charge station for each vehicle.

One other thing I haven't heard as much about recently but is the swappable batteries idea for vehicles. If vehicles become subscription based (Ford won't let you buy out your lease at this point) they could package in the cost of battery swaps possibly even making it universal as I suspect all carmarkers would love to not see you a vehicle but make you rent it.

As far as I know there is only 1 car in real driving conditions that can get over 400 miles on a single charge. That is the Lucid Air. The Tesla model S is rated just over 400, but Tesla’s generally get about 30-40 miles less than what rated for. Mercedes Benz has a concept that gets amazing range but it’s not here. Battery tech has to improve to get more range. Elon has stated that it is a waste of weight to put larger batteries in vehicles to increase range, since most people do not use it. They also remove things from vehicles like lumbar support because people don’t use it enough. Yes Tesla knows everything you do in or with your vehicle. Let’s not forget batteries weigh a lot and wear tires down fast on these vehicles, like you only get 20,000-30,000 miles before you need new tires. Then your looking at $1,200+ to replace them.

Last edited:

As far as I know there is only 1 car in real driving conditions that can get over 400 miles on a single charge.

One article on the Mercedes that did it earlier this year:
https://electrek.co/2022/04/13/merc...g-the-way-for-future-long-distance-ev-travel/

https://www.businessinsider.com/mercedes-electric-car-626-mile-range-tesla-2022-4

Let’s not forget batteries weigh a lot and wear tires down fast on these vehicles

Yes but also the torque these vehicles can put out also wears them down more quickly which is something that can be controlled by software/settings to limit that sort of wear to an extent. This also helps support an idea of interchangeable batteries where instead of going to get your oil changed before long road trips you go and get your batter changed out for a long range battery which is included in your car subscription or can be rented temporarily.

Also most people don't use range yet simply because there isn't range so people who need it do not buy the vehicles. There is a large portion of the US that do need it (unlike City US drivers and Euro drivers) and will likely lead to variations of vehicles like you already see with Tesla for range.

Yes but also the torque these vehicles can put out also wears them down more quickly which is something that can be controlled by software/settings to limit that sort of wear to an extent.
My Model Y is at 32k miles and about half life on original tires, not bad but also this point about the tires is over blown, there are plenty of ICE cars that go through tires just as fast or faster, you can also opt to get less sticky tires that will last longer.

The thing is people often go from low performance cars to a Tesla and are shocked to learn that fast cars eat tires. And then are shocked again when they see what tires in these sizes cost (again these are common sizes for high performance cars)

Tire wear is mostly a product of the roads you travel and your foot.

This is all very interesting and informative information and helping me get a handle on the whole EV world. I'm currently kicking around the idea of selling my 1998 Corvette and using the proceeds from that sale towards the possible purchase of an EV for local travel. I would keep my Outback for our annual travel from NJ to WDW and for any other long-distance travel we may do. We hardly ever use the Corvette so I don't think I would miss it. I'm just concerned if now is the right time to try to sell a "gas guzzler". LOL

Should be included with the cost of the person using the charger, I'm sure ChargPoint or any of the other charging station companies have figured this out. Currently there are a lot of "free" chargers out there, but I'm sure in a few more years these "free" chargers will start costing EV owners money for the charge.
Unfortunately nothing is free, you are paying for it with your taxes. Once the government subsidies go away you will see price increases. Generating electricity costs will increase. But for now it is working well for those that can buy those new cars. 👍

I have a Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid and just replaced my tires at about 47K miles. When I can reliably recharge the car every day I get exceptional mileage and as it is a hybrid when I run out of juice I have about 470 miles of ICE to run on before I need to fill up. I am currently working and staying in DC. My commute to the office is about 7 miles each way and I have a charger available in the garage I park in at night, so I can get that recharge. Last week, before I drove home to PA for the long weekend and used gas for most of the trip, I had worked my combined MPG up to 138.

Last week, before I drove home to PA for the long weekend and used gas for most of the trip, I had worked my combined MPG up to 138.
To funny, the Pacifica Hybrid only figures it out to 99.9 MPG or less. I guess Chrysler didn't think that people would run it up over a 100 MPG.

I have a Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid and just replaced my tires at about 47K miles. When I can reliably recharge the car every day I get exceptional mileage and as it is a hybrid when I run out of juice I have about 470 miles of ICE to run on before I need to fill up. I am currently working and staying in DC. My commute to the office is about 7 miles each way and I have a charger available in the garage I park in at night, so I can get that recharge. Last week, before I drove home to PA for the long weekend and used gas for most of the trip, I had worked my combined MPG up to 138.

I think I'm leaning towards a hybrid for my next car but I have a few questions that maybe you can answer since you have one.

1- Do you know how much it costs to replace the battery?
2- What is the life expectancy of the battery?
3- Is there resale value to these cars?
4- Does this type of car make sense for those of us who tend to keep their cars for a long time? Example, DH has a 2001 F-150 that he still drives when he needs a truck.
4- What is the range on a charge for your car? I'm thinking that a self-charging hybrid might be better but I really don't know. What are your thoughts on that?

I think I'm leaning towards a hybrid for my next car but I have a few questions that maybe you can answer since you have one.

4- Does this type of car make sense for those of us who tend to keep their cars for a long time? Example, DH has a 2001 F-150 that he still drives when he needs a truck.
4- What is the range on a charge for your car? I'm thinking that a self-charging hybrid might be better but I really don't know. What are your thoughts on that?

For our Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
1- I don't think you can change out the battery.
2 - I think I read somewhere that the batteries will out last the vehicle for most owners.
3 - I'm sure the resale value right now with gas prices will be pretty good.
4 - My wife drove 30k miles last year, so we are thinking about changing out the minivan's every 3 to 4 years, but thats because of the mileage. If she didn't drive that much, we would probably keep it a lot longer.
5 - Range is about 30 - 35 miles in the summer, the hybrid doesn't use the battery (to protect itself) during the winter when it get below 40 degrees.

I've been really impressed with the Pacifica Hybrid, it drives really nice and smooth. The quality of the leather seats and other finishes are nice as well. The software in the vehicle would be the only issue that I have noticed, but it isn't that bad. Once you learn the little quirks of the hybrid, it is a pretty good vehicle.

1. No one really knows as this has not been a common occurrence.
2. They will probably outlast the car.
3. Very much so. Some sell used for more than their original purchase cost.
4. Yes. Because of the electric motor doing much or all of the work it wears much less then a regular internal combustion engine (ICE).
5. I have a plug-in electric hybrid (PHEV) so it has a smaller battery than a regular EV. With mine I only get 26 miles in EV mode and then it switches to hybrid mode in which I get the normal 470 miles or so that I get with a full tank of gas.

There are 2 types of Hybrids. Plug in and Standard. The plug allows you to charge the battery and will have a longer running on electric than a regular Hybrid. The initial cost is also a lot higher but you may qualify for a credit through IRS and maybe state you would need to research the Vehicle. Batteries and the charging system have a longer warranty I know Toyota is currently 10 years most others I looked at were less. If the battery fails on either the car will NOT run. I currently have a regular Toyota Hybrid the cost seems to be around 2500-3000 to replace the battery should it fail out of warranty today later???? Plug ins have a larger battery and i have read the cost is around 8K to replace pure electric lets say most will not replace the Battery. As far as what to choose that is personal I can say I get 42-46 in the summer for mid size 4200 pound mid size AWD SUV as far as running on electric only it will for about 7-10 miles at low speeds as the gas engine will come on over 30 or if the car thinks you will accelerate to that speed but shut off quickly. Plug ins well one of friends had one but sold it recently. this will be very area dependent but it cost him less to run as a regular Hybrid when gas was around 3.50 here. I have another friend in another state that has Tesla model S he pays 8 cents a KW to home charge which he does....... No where near that plus the delivery cost where I am. Read about what is around and choose what is best for you. Winter in the Northeast -- NJ down will really hurt the fuel economy of Hybrid Plug and EV alike you will notice up a 40% decrease in very cold weather and that is mostly due to Heat as Hybrids and EVS in all forms use electric AC and Heat not engine driven as they are in a more traditional gas car. last winter i got in the low 30's when it was in the mid 30s outside colder will reduce that more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter