Car charging at DVC resorts

The more I put some thought in to it, Disney should forget charging at the resorts and the parks. Both locations don't encourage moving your car. Plus any BEV plugging in at 0% will absolutely be sitting there all day or all night.

I live in CA. There's a shopping center near where I live that has Tesla Superchargers, Electrify America, and EVgo chargers. There must be more than 35 different chargers among the 3 companies. People come, they charge, walk around, then they leave.

Disney should adopt something similar at Disney Springs. Dedicate a section of strawberry or watermelon and build a ton of high kW Level 3s (with level 2s for PHEVs). That way, it's fair to all going forward. If you need to charge your car, you go there. Similar to ICEs going to gas stations.

I understand this is probably an unpopular opinion. But I'm looking years down the road when there are even more electric cars on the road.

The more I put some thought in to it, Disney should forget charging at the resorts and the parks. Both locations don't encourage moving your car. Plus any BEV plugging in at 0% will absolutely be sitting there all day or all night.

I live in CA. There's a shopping center near where I live that has Tesla Superchargers, Electrify America, and EVgo chargers. There must be more than 35 different chargers among the 3 companies. People come, they charge, walk around, then they leave.

Disney should adopt something similar at Disney Springs. Dedicate a section of strawberry or watermelon and build a ton of high kW Level 3s (with level 2s for PHEVs). That way, it's fair to all going forward. If you need to charge your car, you go there. Similar to ICEs going to gas stations.

I understand this is probably an unpopular opinion. But I'm looking years down the road when there are even more electric cars on the road.
Springs is such a time suck no way would I venture Into springs during a super charging session, the charging will go faster than just walking back and forth and through security.

Level 2 charging at hotels makes perfect sense...tons and tons of hotels do it and just call incase someone has blocked a charger for too long (plates registered with the front desk) or they just charge through valet

Charge points cost thousands and thousands of dollars to install with a very small slow payback. Why should Disney install them. They already have you going to the park. They have no need to do it. They probably installed a few at the parks to make it look good, and as a bonus for a few that drive, but Disney is far away from being green.

Charge points cost thousands and thousands of dollars to install with a very small slow payback. Why should Disney install them. They already have you going to the park. They have no need to do it. They probably installed a few at the parks to make it look good, and as a bonus for a few that drive, but Disney is far away from being green.
They don't have to, it would help their fake green image though....plus in some of the more simple runs I'm estimating a roughly 2 year ROI before its all profit (based off utility rate and what they currently charge)...that's likely significantly better than all that solar they've put in (although they go hand in hand)

I'm driving my Tesla down in September, and my plan is to not even try to use the chargers on property. I'll extend my last supercharger stop on the way so I have enough juice to last me while I'm there. Worst case scenario if I was low (which I won't be, it's a short stay) I'd just drive to the supercharger close to Disney Springs 4 miles from my hotel and use that. We're staying at Riviera, which has some chargers, so I might use one if it happens to be open. Trying to get one at the parks or DS? Way more trouble that it's worth.

ETA: superchargers are Tesla only so that plan won't work for everyone.

I'm driving my Tesla down in September, and my plan is to not even try to use the chargers on property. I'll extend my last supercharger stop on the way so I have enough juice to last me while I'm there. Worst case scenario if I was low (which I won't be, it's a short stay) I'd just drive to the supercharger close to Disney Springs 4 miles from my hotel and use that. We're staying at Riviera, which has some chargers, so I might use one if it happens to be open. Trying to get one at the parks or DS? Way more trouble that it's worth.

If you can nab a charge on property it will be 35 cents a kWh vs the super charger at 41 cents ...so do it. I predict you'll get one at riviera..they are pretty easy to get. (One station 2 j1772s)

I'm trying to educate myself about electric cars and Hybrid cars. I'm thinking the next car I buy may be a hybrid, you get the beauty of both worlds. Local driving would be electric, recharge at home. Long distance road trips like going to WDW from NJ I would probably want to use more gas since it's readily available and doesn't take hours to get.

Why are Tesla superchargers for Tesla only? What is different? This is what I was talking about in an earlier post when I said that all charging stations need to accommodate all electric vehicles, universal charging applications.

I'm trying to educate myself about electric cars and Hybrid cars. I'm thinking the next car I buy may be a hybrid, you get the beauty of both worlds. Local driving would be electric, recharge at home. Long distance road trips like going to WDW from NJ I would probably want to use more gas since it's readily available and doesn't take hours to get.

Why are Tesla superchargers for Tesla only? What is different? This is what I was talking about in an earlier post when I said that all charging stations need to accommodate all electric vehicles, universal charging applications.
Tesla’s in the USA only, have a different charge port connector. They most likely have a patent on it so no one else can use it. Tesla is trying over seas to allow non Teslas charger at their chargers, but those Teslas and chargers are the same as the other electric cars so no adapter is needed. They could let others charge here, you would just need an adapter.

Okay here is a lot more than what you asked about :-)

When Tesla was getting started there wasn't a standard for ev plugs so they made their own sleek connector, they also tried getting some partners to help them deploy their massive super charging network ...there were no takers. (Charging was also free back then)

So they developed their super charging network using their own connector, because it's in house it's a great experience, you park and plug in, the station recognizes your car and charges your card on file..no fumbling around with apps on your phone to get it going. The purchase of each Tesla helps fund the networks expansion along with profits from the energy sales.

Tesla has announced plans to open it to all Evs eventually..in the US that probably means adding a 2nd connector to the station OR selling an adapter, the price to charge will also be higher for non Tesla's to account for them not having contributed at time of purchase, it will also be time based to discourage cars that can't charge as fast.

On the reverse front there is a new adapter that is compatible with some teslas that allows Tesla's to charge at non Tesla fast chargers, currently its only sold in S Korea but many like myself have imported it.

For slower charging (level 2) all Tesla's come with an adapter to use non Tesla plugs and non Tesla's can easy purchase an adapter to allow them to use a Tesla plug

If your looking at plug in hybrids then fast charging will be of no concern to you and you can use any level 2 charger.

Last edited:

The superchargers are built and paid for by Tesla, and use a Tesla-specific connector. They make long road trips like yours totally doable. It doesn't take hours to charge the car on a road trip with a supercharger, it's 15-20 minutes, and they are al along the interstates and major highways. Will it take longer and require more stops than a gas car? Definitely but nobody is sitting at a charger for hours on a road trip. And much, much less expensive than 2000 miles worth of gas. Life is full of tradeoffs :)

For non-Tesla EVs, NJ to Disney would definitely not be recommended.

But I fully admit it's not for everyone, and hybrids are a good option. But they are a totally different thing from an EV. They are basically a gas car that uses a battery to increase gas mileage. There are also plug in hybrids. Those you can actually plug in and charge like an EV, and run on only battery for short trips. When the battery runs down the gas engine takes over. The good news is there are more and more options coming out from basically all the car makers.

Last edited:
The superchargers are built and paid for by Tesla, and use a Tesla-specific connector. They make long road trips like yours totally doable. It doesn't take hours to charge the car on a road trip with a supercharger, it's 15-20 minutes, and they are al along the interstates and major highways. Will it take longer and require more stops than a gas car? Definitely but nobody is sitting at a charger for hours on a road trip. And much, much less expensive than 2000 miles worth of gas. Life is full of tradeoffs :)

For non-Tesla EVs, NJ to Disney would definitely not be recommended.

But I fully admit it's not for everyone, and hybrids are a good option. But they are a totally different thing from an EV. They are basically a gas car that uses a battery to increase gas mileage. There are also plug in hybrids. Those you can actually plug in and charge like an EV, and run on only battery for short trips. When the battery runs down the gas engine takes over. The good news is there are more and more options coming out from basically all the car makers.
Tesla’s while they can charge fast, they are not the quickest charging vehicles on the market. The Lucid Air can charge a lot faster and travel much further on a charge than any Tesla on the market. Lucid Air costs more than the Tesla model S, so there probably not as many on the roads. Porsche cars also charge very fast, but are not as efficient Teslas The model Y is quickly becoming more and more expensive, putting it out of reach for most people.

Tesla’s while they can charge fast, they are not the quickest charging vehicles on the market. The Lucid Air can charge a lot faster and travel much further on a charge than any Tesla on the market. Lucid Air costs more than the Tesla model S, so there probably not as many on the roads. Porsche cars also charge very fast, but are not as efficient Teslas The model Y is quickly becoming more and more expensive, putting it out of reach for most people.
I get that but it’s the supercharger network itself that’s the differentiator for Tesla. Doesn’t matter how fast the car charges if there aren’t fast chargers all along the route for road trips.
Eventually the other networks will be built out but the Tesla network has a multiple year head start.

I’m not here trying to tout Tesla over any other EV, it’s just fact right now they’re the only ones viable for long road trips.

We have owned a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid for a little over a year now, and for the most part we love it. We had a Chrysler Town & Country before this, and the Pacifica Hybrid is much nicer and rides great. The only thing is that it doesn't really run on the battery during the cold months (below 45 degrees) to protect the battery. We get around 35-40 miles on the battery during the summer months, because I think it is only a 30KW battery. Already have over 30k miles on it...... lots of kids sports, and haven't had any real problems with it. One note is that it has a lot of bells & whistles that are turned on out of the factory that consume a lot of battery, we turned them off to get better mileage. When it is running on gas it gets around 30mpg, which is pretty good for a minivan. It also is still available for the $7500/non-refundable tax credit through the IRS, and some state offer there own tax credits. We got about $9k off the price because of this.

We have owned a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid for a little over a year now, and for the most part we love it. We had a Chrysler Town & Country before this, and the Pacifica Hybrid is much nicer and rides great. The only thing is that it doesn't really run on the battery during the cold months (below 45 degrees) to protect the battery. We get around 35-40 miles on the battery during the summer months, because I think it is only a 30KW battery. Already have over 30k miles on it...... lots of kids sports, and haven't had any real problems with it. One note is that it has a lot of bells & whistles that are turned on out of the factory that consume a lot of battery, we turned them off to get better mileage. When it is running on gas it gets around 30mpg, which is pretty good for a minivan. It also is still available for the $7500/non-refundable tax credit through the IRS, and some state offer there own tax credits. We got about $9k off the price because of this.

Thanks for the information. Am I understanding correctly, you only get 35-40 miles per charge? That's not very much. I don't think we could go to our daughter or sons houses round trip with that limited range and they don't live that far from us all things considered. We live in a rural of NJ.

Thanks for the information. Am I understanding correctly, you only get 35-40 miles per charge? That's not very much. I don't think we could go to our daughter or sons houses round trip with that limited range and they don't live that far from us all things considered. We live in a rural of NJ.
Yes, the electric range (only running on battery) is about 35 miles, which works for us. But when the battery runs down, the gas engine kicks in, which adds a range of over 350 miles, for a total range of around 400 miles combined. I think it is the only hybrid that qualifies for the $7500 non-refundable tax credit though, because of the size of the battery.

I will say this, it is one of the nicest riding cars/suv/trucks that I have ridden in. I like driving it, and I'm a truck guy (I have a Silverado 1500 crew cab), the Pacifica is my wife's car.

I think it is a nice entry level vehicle to EV's and to learn about their pros and cons. Hopefully over the next 5 years more chargers get installed everywhere and charging up isn't an issue any longer. We mostly charge at home, but have found several free and/or cheap chargers in our State (Massachusetts).

In addition to the above, the superchargers have no interface. They have technology that recognizes the car and that's how they bill you. Some older Tesla's came with unlimited lifetime charging included, so the system has to know who you are in order to bill you. That part of the communication between the car and the charger is proprietary. If Tesla does open them up to other vehicles, the adapter will likely be tied to the account.

When Tesla was getting started there wasn't a standard for ev plugs so they made their own sleek connector, they also tried getting some partners to help them deploy their massive super charging network ...there were no takers. (Charging was also free back then)
This isn't entirely true. When Tesla developed their current plug, the J1772 standard was already established. When they built the Roadster, the standard was not yet in place, but mostly there. The Roadster's electronics meet the standard, but the connector is different. Tesla could have used the standard connector for the newer cars, but chose not to.

In the not so distant future, no chargers is going to be lacking a basic amenity. You know, like housekeeping and decent TP. It's possible that people work around it, I mean plenty of people fly in anyway. But I don't see how any of the resorts long term are going to avoid putting in chargers and make ridiculously priced, "deluxe" cash bookings.

In the not so distant future, no chargers is going to be lacking a basic amenity. You know, like housekeeping and decent TP. It's possible that people work around it, I mean plenty of people fly in anyway. But I don't see how any of the resorts long term are going to avoid putting in chargers and make ridiculously priced, "deluxe" cash bookings.
I understand the need for chargers but am concerned about the cost to install and maintain them. Basically who will pay for them?

I understand the need for chargers but am concerned about the cost to install and maintain them. Basically who will pay for them?
Should be included with the cost of the person using the charger, I'm sure ChargPoint or any of the other charging station companies have figured this out. Currently there are a lot of "free" chargers out there, but I'm sure in a few more years these "free" chargers will start costing EV owners money for the charge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter