Captain Cook or Kona for Breakfast?

CHEMISTSP

Unapologetic Disney Nerd
I was able to secure California Grill reservation and I will be on the meal plan. However, a table service credit I was going to use towards Kona Cafe is now going to be out-of-pocket. That said, I was really interested in the Tonga toast. I see that Captain Cook's quick service has Tonga toast at half the price of Kona. Is it worth it to pay for Kona out-of-pocket or is it a better decision to go to Captain Cook's? I have never been to either, so I have no experience to go by.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The only major difference is the sauce. Captain Cooke's doesn't have it. Also in terms of environment they are very different and price. If you want a nice leisurely breakfast KC is the way to go but if it just solely to taste the TT maybe CC is fine so you can save some money and get out the door.

Kona has good coffee and other great options for those who may not want something so sweet. We were able to make reservations for breakfast the night before. If you go early enough (by 8 am) you can usually get a table with no reservation. At least that was our experience last October.

We really enjoyed it and I am not a breakfast person. :)

Kona has good coffee and other great options for those who may not want something so sweet. We were able to make reservations for breakfast the night before. If you go early enough (by 8 am) you can usually get a table with no reservation. At least that was our experience last October.

We really enjoyed it and I am not a breakfast person. :)

To be clear - I do have a reservation for Kona. When California Grill opened up I had to give up a Table Credit I was going to use. Kona seemed like the logical choice. That is why I was asking which was better - paying out-of-pocket at Kona or using a Quick Service at Captain Cook's and not go to Kona.

I have previously been to Kona cafe and was so excited on my last stay to see the Tonga toast at Capt cook's. It was just as good and filing (and cheaper). I don't mind the quick service environment. We ate outside and it was quiet. For me I have no reason to go back to Kona now.

I prefer the atmosphere and type of service at Kona and will note as pp have that there are differences in how the Tonga Toast is served between the 2 eateries. Kona serves it with the strawberry sauce; CC does not. So if you want to save money go to CC where you can make an approximation of the strawberry sauce with jam, or go to Kona were you can read a newspaper, have limited interaction w/ anyone (don't talk to me iin the morning; I'm stone cold anti-social) and uhm well see less children;).
Your choice:).

Really enjoyed the Tonga Toast at Capt Cook’s on the patio! Kona is great but sounds to me that you would prefer to save $ in this case and Capt Cook’s is a fine option, imo.

The difference between the two Tonga Toasts is the sauce provided at Kona.

For an already super sweet meal, the extra sweetness of the sauce was, for my wife and I, just too much.

I'd do the Tonga Toast at Captain Cooks and save the money.

I have done both. They are both great options depending on what you want. If you want a sit-down meal, KC is it. If you want to save money, CC is a great option. You just don't get the strawberry sauce. Even without the sauce Tonga Toast is still yummy. I didn't feel like I was missing anything eating Tonga Toast at CC. We usually don't use the sauce anyway.

Surprisingly, for me, the tonga toast was better at Captain Cooks. It was warmer and had more banana filling. A lot cheaper too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter