Can't sleep

ShannyMcB

DIS Veteran
Its 130am est and I can't sleep. Kids will likely be awake in 4ish hours. Middle child had a minor nosebleed a couple hours ago (dry nose + sleep picking = bleed?) He has had a couple since it got really hot and the ac use became more consistent. Ended quick no nose pinching required.
So I'm awake. Was on Twitter for awhile but it was making me anxious and dont even get me started on "dr Google."
Anyone else awake? Any tips on things to read online that might give me a giggle/help me sleep? TV is on but that's not doing it.
Going to try to doze back off. Wish me luck. If you see more posts assume this was not successful.

I can’t sleep either. I had double knee replacement on 7/6/20, and it’s been hard to sleep at night ever since. Getting comfortable is the big problem. PT on Wednesday kicked my butt (therapist added an 8 min ride on the exercise bike as a warm up. I’d previously been doing the recumbent stepper machine for 5 minutes, which I loved), and my right leg ached yesterday and today. I don’t think it liked the bike. Tonight I took a hydrocodone, slept for a couple of hours and then had to change positions. Now 👀!

Breathe and count. Relax. Inhale deeply. Exhale. Count "1" in your head. Inhale deeply. Exhale. Count " 2" in your head. Twice more, using "3", then" 4".
Repeat as needed (i.e. until you've fallen asleep).

It is 7.10 am here so I am up and starting my day. Enjoying a quiet coffee before dog walk and then I am going to the airport to collect my son, who returns from Barcelona this morning. Welsh regulations state that he must self isolate for 14 days, which will (not) be fun. I hope that you both get some sleep soon.

It's 12:40 am here (MST) and although I definitely could sleep and I will soon, I enjoy these late hours when the rest of the household has turned in. Especially on a Friday night after a grueling work week, the peace of not having anyone need, want or require anything from me is sublime. Being as this is a long weekend here in Canada I'm delighted to be able to do the same for the next two evenings without having to worry about getting up in the mornings. Best. Feeling. Ever. :goodvibes

It's 12:40 am here (MST) and although I definitely could sleep and I will soon, I enjoy these late hours when the rest of the household has turned in. Especially on a Friday night after a grueling work week, the peace of not having anyone need, want or require anything from me is sublime. Being as this is a long weekend here in Canada I'm delighted to be able to do the same for the next two evenings without having to worry about getting up in the mornings. Best. Feeling. Ever. :goodvibes
Enjoy.

It is 7.10 am here so I am up and starting my day. Enjoying a quiet coffee before dog walk and then I am going to the airport to collect my son, who returns from Barcelona this morning. Welsh regulations state that he must self isolate for 14 days, which will (not) be fun. I hope that you both get some sleep soon.
Your morning sounds lovely! Enjoy having your son home despite the 14 day quarantine.

I have chronic insomnia. Lately it’s taken a turn for the worse and I am waking up after 2-3 hours and I can’t go back to sleep. Counting breaths, relaxing, reading are all fine and good for an occasional night of sleeplessness, but is pretty useless for someone who can’t even stay awake after two sleeping pills.

After a five (5!!!!) year wait, I have an appointment at a sleep clinic in a few weeks so hopefully they can figure out something to help. Sleeping for 2-4 hours a night for weeks on end is bad enough, but it’s wreaked havoc on my ms.

Hopefully you can get some sleep soon.

Hello fellow insomniacs. Fell asleep around midnight, woke up at 1:38 and am still wide awake. Sigh.

Hope you get some answers @kimblebee
Finally got to sleep around 230...and then my oldest, excited for a fishing trip today, could be heard running around at 530.
Good news no additional nosebleeds from middle child last night. Woke up pretty congested myself so maybe it's a sinus thing with him. He is in a good mood and his typical energetic self this morning so his night was none the worse.

Insomnia is horrible. I did, however, find that taking magnesium glycinate supplements (not magnesium oxide or magnesium citrate) an hour or so before bed has worked literal wonders for me. (task your doctor about it). Nothing else has worked. I could take 10mg of Melatonin and not feel anything at all.
Maybe mentioning this will help someone else!

I have not been able to sleep for years. I have no idea what it's like to sleep more than 4 hours.

I wake up every two hours. I usually cannot fall asleep again though. I have tried everything. I have been up since 2:15 am.

The only thing left to do is go for sleep apnea test - I don't think I have it. I did send my dh for one - he snores and makes so many sounds, it was very hard for me to try to fall asleep again after waking up. He has no issues. Very mild case.

The only thing that helps me a little is Kirkland sleeping pills. I take 1/2 a pill twice a week. I don't want to take more. It's not great. I don't want to become dependent on them.

I have not been able to sleep for years. I have no idea what it's like to sleep more than 4 hours.

I wake up every two hours. I usually cannot fall asleep again though. I have tried everything. I have been up since 2:15 am.

The only thing left to do is go for sleep apnea test - I don't think I have it. I did send my dh for one - he snores and makes so many sounds, it was very hard for me to try to fall asleep again after waking up. He has no issues. Very mild case.

The only thing that helps me a little is Kirkland sleeping pills. I take 1/2 a pill twice a week. I don't want to take more. It's not great. I don't want to become dependent on them.

I really hope I don’t have sleep apnea (I don’t think I do) because I’m super claustrophobic and there’s no way I could sleep with something on my face. No way, no how, end of discussion.

I really hope I don’t have sleep apnea (I don’t think I do) because I’m super claustrophobic and there’s no way I could sleep with something on my face. No way, no how, end of discussion.
I feel terrible for you...not being able to sleep, especially with so many other health issues must take it's toll. I know sleep for me is also an escape and a much needed one sometimes so it's also a legitimate threat to emotional well-being to struggle with it. :flower3: My DH had insomnia for 15 years until he finally found a doctor that just said "screw it" and prescribed him meds for long-term use which he has taken every night for years now. Not great but at least for him they do work and it was life-altering.

As for a CPAP, I know many people who have been assessed for sleep apnea and end up being prescribed the machine. Honestly, I can't think of one who has stuck it out, even though they all say it really does help. The face mask is just SO hard for some to get used to. I hope they are able to offer you some other option.

I feel terrible for you...not being able to sleep, especially with so many other health issues must take it's toll. I know sleep for me is also an escape and a much needed one sometimes so it's also a legitimate threat to emotional well-being to struggle with it. :flower3: My DH had insomnia for 15 years until he finally found a doctor that just said "screw it" and prescribed him meds for long-term use which he has taken every night for years now. Not great but at least for him they do work and it was life-altering.

As for a CPAP, I know many people who have been assessed for sleep apnea and end up being prescribed the machine. Honestly, I can't think of one who has stuck it out, even though they all say it really does help. The face mask is just SO hard for some to get used to. I hope they are able to offer you some other option.

I do take two sleeping pills but they don’t seem to be working any more. I’ve been on them for years so maybe I grew too used to them. I do t really want anything stronger, but, like you said, given my other health and life issues, I need sleep.

I also am at a certain age where hormones might be playing a part too *blush*

I do take two sleeping pills but they don’t seem to be working any more. I’ve been on them for years so maybe I grew too used to them. I do t really want anything stronger, but, like you said, given my other health and life issues, I need sleep.

Yes, "they" say that regular use of sleeping pills isn't good and most doctors will only prescribe them for occasional use. I've never really understood why - maybe it's because one build a tolerance? Blessedly whatever DH is on is still working and I'm so glad...he's a different person now than he was when he was so chronically sleep-deprived.

As for the lady issues, I was extremely lucky in that department and although I did have my problems, night-sweats and sleep interruption wasn't a thing for me. Again, I would love to hear of you getting this sorted out and I wish you well. :hug:

Last edited:
I have not slept well since younger DS was born and did not sleep through the night until he was 3. He is now almost 31! I do have a night now and then where I sleep well probably because my body is so weary. I have tried meditation and watching TV but does not help. Sometimes I imagine I am going through one of the Disney parks and that can help lull me off to sleep. I remember when I had my knees replaced I had to sleep in my recliner for the first 6 weeks or so because of being so uncomfortable and painful being in bed. The good news is that it gets better quickly.

You might not need stronger just a different active ingredient. Oh & the "blush" , heck yeah I had terrible sleeping problems then.

I tend to get to sleep but wake up at 2 or 3 sometimes - my go to is Netflix foodie shows or serial killers shows. Right now I am redoing Dexter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter