Can't sleep

I have had sleep issues for years. And I really used to enjoy sleeping! I can’t shut my brain off, I’m afraid if I close my eyes I’m going to die and I get sleep paralysis. I’ve taken melatonin and also tart cherry extract supplements sometimes work.
I would love to sleep 6 or 7 hours straight through.

I have had sleep issues for years. And I really used to enjoy sleeping! I can’t shut my brain off, I’m afraid if I close my eyes I’m going to die and I get sleep paralysis. I’ve taken melatonin and also tart cherry extract supplements sometimes work.
I would love to sleep 6 or 7 hours straight through.
A joint replacement forum I’m on suggests trying melatonin or Benadryl. DH is getting some melatonin for me this weekend. Healing happens during sleep and I’m not sleeping. It just makes me feel cruddy during the day.

Insomnia is horrible. I did, however, find that taking magnesium glycinate supplements (not magnesium oxide or magnesium citrate) an hour or so before bed has worked literal wonders for me. (task your doctor about it). Nothing else has worked. I could take 10mg of Melatonin and not feel anything at all.
Maybe mentioning this will help someone else!
I have a dr appointment on Tuesday for my 4 week post op knee surgery. I’m going to ask about this.

My father-in-law was career Air Force and his wife said he was asleep within 30 seconds of getting in bed. His response, he had been "conditioned" to fall asleep by the Air Force because if you were caught awake you got pulled out of bed and assigned duties like peeling potatoes since "you were awake anyway". I can see mind over matter working. Make yourself do something you hate to condition yourself to sleep.
As for me, crazy work and sleep hours over the past 40 years kind of conditioned me to go to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and stay asleep. 25 consecutive years of 11 pm to 7 am work schedule and 9 am to 5 pm sleep schedule, and the past 12 years I have been up at 2 am, at work at 3 am, and in bed at 7 pm. And that's not counting that I can fall asleep in the afternoon in my easy chair.

Its 130am est and I can't sleep. Kids will likely be awake in 4ish hours. Middle child had a minor nosebleed a couple hours ago (dry nose + sleep picking = bleed?) He has had a couple since it got really hot and the ac use became more consistent. Ended quick no nose pinching required.
So I'm awake. Was on Twitter for awhile but it was making me anxious and dont even get me started on "dr Google."
Anyone else awake? Any tips on things to read online that might give me a giggle/help me sleep? TV is on but that's not doing it.
Going to try to doze back off. Wish me luck. If you see more posts assume this was not successful.

I had this problem too, and tried an over the counter remedy. Or a health food store might be better. I tried Valerian pills, 2 one hour before bed time. This worked great. I fell asleep, slept all night, and woke up refreshed in the am. I did not have any ""hangover" from the pills in the AM, no drowsiness at all. They work great for good sleep and no grogginess. This is routinely used in Germany, and has been for many years. The only thing is that it smells pretty bad, like old gym socks, LOL. I just take a deep breath, pop them in, and swallow. Or I leave them out on the counter for a couple of hours and then take them. It is well worth it, IMO. It is a natural herb you can buy OTC>

I'm also a terrible sleeper. Last night, I went to bed around 12:30am and was up at 4 - mainly to pee, but once I am up, I have a very hard time getting back to sleep. My dog typically wakes up between 4-5am anyways so what's the point? I've tried things like melatonin, but I don't have a problem falling asleep, I have a problem staying asleep. Taking any sleep aids just makes me doze off during the day. I was doing better just a few weeks ago - able to sleep until 6 or even 6:30, but now I am back to waking at 4.

Oh - I also sleep with a CPAP and I think it has helped a bit with my quality of sleep, but definitely not the quantity...

A joint replacement forum I’m on suggests trying melatonin or Benadryl. DH is getting some melatonin for me this weekend. Healing happens during sleep and I’m not sleeping. It just makes me feel cruddy during the day.
Antihistamines are the ingredient in OTC sleep-aids but A LOT of people react poorly to them in that their sleep is actually worse when taking them and for some they can agitate.

If you just need something very occasionally without that particular side effect, try motion-sickness pills - the old-school kind that aren't marked "time release" or "non-drowsy". Here in Canada it's called Gravol - I'm not sure what it's called there. Nurse friends tell me they often give patients a tablet or two of Gravol in the hospital if the patient is having trouble sleeping and the doctor hasn't ordered prescription meds for them.

Last edited:

Antihistamines are the ingredient in OTC sleep-aids but A LOT of people react poorly to them in that their sleep is actually worse when taking them and for some they can agitate.

If you just need something very occasionally without that particular side effect, try motion-sickness pills - the old-school kind that aren't marked "time release" or "non-drowsy". Here in Canada it's called Gravol - I'm not sure what it's called there. Nurse friends tell me they often give patients a tablet or two of Gravol in the hospital if the patient is having trouble sleeping and the doctor hasn't ordered prescription meds for them.
I looked it up, Gravol is called Dramamine in the US. Thank you! I’m adding it to my list.

I still have 8 weeks of medical leave before I have to go back to work, so I’m trying to get this sleeping issue licked before then. I’m sure it will get better as I heal too, but right now it is really dragging me down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter