Can't decide on which resorts to buy

KSR0330

DIS Veteran
Okay, I'll start by saying that I totally over think everything so I need some input! My family consists of me (I'm 50) and hubs, two grown kids and their significant others and a grand baby. We travel down once per year. I thought I had finally decided on buying at AKV and BWV to stay in 2 br villas, but then I saw a room tour of OKW's 3 br grand villa and fell in love. So, that would mean buying two 2042 resorts. I was okay with BW's 2042 expiration because by then, we'll probably be going down without the kids, and would have points to use well into our retirement. So, do I consider buying OKW direct for the extended date (I would also love an annual pass and have been considering direct anyway, but know the AP is not guaranteed). Or do I buy at AKV instead of OKW and hope that we can get a GV at OKW at 7 months? Or do I buy OKW and BW and hope that Disney offers an OKW extension. See, I told you I over think everything! Any advice would be appreciated!

You've picked two of the highest demand rooms in the whole system. OKW villas are walked and booked at 11 months, because of their point efficiency. To get them, you need OKW, and you will have to be diligent in booking. Same with BW 2BR, because the studios are in such demand, and they are all lock off. So, once the studios are gone, they are gone too.

OKW extension was a cluster. Absolutely no way Disney is going to extend it or any resort again IMO. Good news is, RESALE extended contracts are never priced at what the extension cost, making them good value. The board sponsor has a drop down to sort by these contracts. If you're not in a rush, you'll be able to get one.

You should be able to use OKW points to book the AKL, it's a huge resort. You'll need some serious OKW points to make the bookings you want at OKW. I'd go all RESALE OKW extended to start. If you change your mind in a few years, they are easy enough to sell and have great dues, so no big deal. OKW extended points are a good value all around, and you could use them elsewhere and feel good about that. The BW points are a bigger commitment. You really need to plan to run out the clock on them AND use their excellent charts well to make them good value.

Edit: even if APs do come back, you can plan yearly trips around it. Like Late Aug - early Aug - repeat, AP every other year. Doing that can pretty much eliminate the Blue Card AP discount, assuming it ever exists again anyway.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll start by saying that I totally over think everything so I need some input! My family consists of me (I'm 50) and hubs, two grown kids and their significant others and a grand baby. We travel down once per year. I thought I had finally decided on buying at AKV and BWV to stay in 2 br villas, but then I saw a room tour of OKW's 3 br grand villa and fell in love. So, that would mean buying two 2042 resorts. I was okay with BW's 2042 expiration because by then, we'll probably be going down without the kids, and would have points to use well into our retirement. So, do I consider buying OKW direct for the extended date (I would also love an annual pass and have been considering direct anyway, but know the AP is not guaranteed). Or do I buy at AKV instead of OKW and hope that we can get a GV at OKW at 7 months? Or do I buy OKW and BW and hope that Disney offers an OKW extension. See, I told you I over think everything! Any advice would be appreciated!
Well. I don't think DVC is going to offer OKW extensions to the 2042 owners. IF you decide to purchase OKW, it's possible to get 2057 contracts on the resale market. You just have to wait for one to pop up. How patient are you?

Ask yourself how much money you will save with blue card member extras, like AP discounts, vs purchasing resale. For some people, the savings can be worth shelling out thousands more over the lifetime of the contract. For others, it’s just FOMO. Which one are you? Do the math, keeping in mind that no membership extras are guaranteed to last forever. Right now, Disney isn’t even selling new APs to anyone, except a select few who cancelled theirs due to COVID. You will also want to consider that any resale points cannot be used at RIV or any new resorts. Will that be an issue for you?

As to OKW GV, well they’re popular due to their low points requirements. If you want one of the “near hospitality house” GVs, you had better own there. Otherwise, you stand as good of a chance as any non-owner at 7 months most of the year. But again ask yourself how often do you intend to book GVs at OKW? Do you love the resort for its location, atmosphere and amenities? Then buy there because you love the resort.

With regard to BWV, buy there if you want to stay there. But IMO the direct price is outrageously high for what you’re getting...and this is coming from someone who owns there and loves the resort. I might buy resale if the right contract at the right price came on the market. Or I might give some thought to getting a points transfer from a BWV owner whenever I do want to stay there instead of owning there myself.

TBH, of the 3 resorts that you listed, AKV is the only one that I (personally) would consider purchasing right now. The expiration date is well into your retirement years. The resort itself is unique. The purchase price on the resale market is reasonable- or at least as reasonable as any DVC resort can be. The ”minuses” are that the dues can be high compared to other DVC resorts. And it’s relatively easy to book there at 7 months most of the time, so you don’t need to own there to be able to stay there.

Buying OKW direct is paying about $65/point, but getting a 2057 end date for sure without having to wait for an extended contract to go on sale via resale.

Those points will also be good for booking RIV and future resorts, as Weill as give you a blue card to get food and dining discounts, use of the Epcot lounge and the ability to purchase the discounted AP when WDW begins sales again...and based on what has been currently happening with renewals and nee APs being sold to those who canceled them during closure...nothing suggests they won’t...even though, as you say, not guaranteed,

The GV are a great deal in terms of points and I think if OKW is a place you’d love to be and want to get one of those, the extra money going direct is worth it...at least IMO.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies! I'm wanting to buy into 2 resorts and use each one for every other year trips. We would do OKW GV one year and then BWV 2 bedroom the next year. I would definitely only buy BWV resale. It's good to know that the OKW villas are popular (why wouldn't they be for that point amount?!) so I should probably play it safe and buy there. I'm probably not patient enough to wait for the right resale, so I'll most likely buy direct. I do like the idea of staying at the newly built resorts down the road, as well as having access to AP's. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts, It was a great help!

If not is a rush, I suggest starting with the resale pick, then add the direct after the membership is established.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter