Candlelight narrator?

How does this effect crowds? We were going to head down this weekend, but with the CP we might skip it if it brings in extra crowds. The other option would be the 16th. What do you guys think?

How does this effect crowds? We were going to head down this weekend, but with the CP we might skip it if it brings in extra crowds. The other option would be the 16th. What do you guys think?
It brings in extra crowds. I went on it a few years ago and it was so awful that I didn't go back to DL for over a year. You will probably be fine if you completely avoid Main street in the evening, but I still just stay away on that weekend.

I just spoke with CM at the GCH and he said the narrator won't be announced until he/she walks out on stage - so everyone is super excited and anxious to see who it is!

Interesting. I wonder if it is a way to control the already crazy crowds on these nights. Thanks!

I just spoke with CM at the GCH and he said the narrator won't be announced until he/she walks out on stage - so everyone is super excited and anxious to see who it is!
Guessing it is someone rather high profile and don't want to draw excess attention

If it is someone who is going to draw large crowds I hope they don't announce it. I am already dreading the crowds for Saturday.

Heavy crowds, generelly concentrated on the Christmas events/rides (I've seen 2-hour waits for Small World Holiday on CP days while some E-tickets have average lines). By the afternoon, Main Street will be almost impassable with the crowd and the park entrance becomes a flood of locals and APs coming in just for the CP, they have to rope part of the turnstyles off to usher through executives, VIPs and Club 33 members.

Last edited:
Guessing it is someone rather high profile and don't want to draw excess attention

If it is someone who is going to draw large crowds I hope they don't announce it. I am already dreading the crowds for Saturday.

Purely a guess, but sounds like the security precaution they would provide a very popular former POTUS. I'm having a hard time coming up with a celebrity that would meed to be so hush-hush, would have to be someone with a Michael Jackson-like crowd draw.

On the flipside...maybe they are just scrambling for a speaker at the last minute?

Last edited:
Purely a guess, but sounds like the security precaution they would provide a very popular former POTUS. I'm having a hard time coming up with a celebrity that would meed to be so hush-hush, would have to be someone with a Michael Jackson-like crowd draw.

On the flipside...maybe they are just scrambling for a speaker at the last minute?
I say no on the ex-potus one! Pulling from their own "family" seems most likely- heck any of the main Avengers cast and half the actors in that supporting cast could draw crowds enough to swamp the park and cause security issues. It's not exactly hard to fill Disneyland! Disney has such a deep bench they can draw on for this, should be very interesting to see who comes out!

ETA: your flipside is an excellent point! Maybe their original pick has since had a PR "flap" or something and they have been sent scrambling. In which case they're possibly inadvertently setting their own bar very high so good luck with a last minute fill! (Although being in SoCal helps!)

Last edited:
We've seen CL for the last 15 yrs or so. Disney have always announced who the narrator is before hand, even in the "old days" of getting tickets for this. Some narrators were better than others....my guess they are scrambling to come up with someone.

It brings in extra crowds. I went on it a few years ago and it was so awful that I didn't go back to DL for over a year. You will probably be fine if you completely avoid Main street in the evening, but I still just stay away on that weekend.
I was there in 2012 when they did multiple ones. At one point they led mobs of us behind the Emporium. It was interesting. But remember that if you are pretty mobile you can walk through the stores to avoid the sidewalks. We will be there this weekend and I am wondering how this will go.

So, even though I have been there during the day of a CP, I've never watched it (just caught glimpses as we accidentally arrived right before the first one and left during the second one). It was pretty spectacular and I'd love to see it this year. Any ideas what time I need to arrive to get a spot-it'd be just me, no kids or other people to hold space for.

When we were there five years ago my aunt and uncle were able to tuck in at the corner of the Emporium--basically against the building and in between the corner and the window. We happened to walk by them and just had to laugh--they were doing the absolute best job they could of staying out of the way so a CM didn't make them move along. Wherever you get, make sure you are out of the line of traffic in every way shape or form so the CMs don't make you move. I saw several people told to move along that tried to blend in. I got to see John Stamos and Molly Ringwald as narrators that year--see being walking briskly by. The CMs are really stressed during this event in my experience. Post back and let us know if you get to watch it.

I don't have to worry about capacity issues, do I? Our goal is to sit out most of the afternoon crowds, but we have a Fantasmic dinner at 5, so need to enter again around 4.

Will DCA be less crowded than DL on these days? My family isn't as excited about the candlelight show as I am and I am thinking of sending them to the other park instead to avoid crowding. Will that help at all?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter