Cancelling DVC Reservation due to Hurricane

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
I know it's early and anything can happen between now and next week, but I want a back-up plan. I know a little about this as we were evacuated from HHI prior to Hurricane Matthew. But we were already there and had to leave one night early. The mandatory evacuation forced the resort to close. Our points were put back into our account, and we were able to rebook a trip for two months later. What I haven't experienced is a hurricane coming in prior to arriving at the resort. If we can't make it to the resort, what happens? Would all of our points go into holding? What if the resorts stay open, but we don't feel comfortable traveling?

Hurricane policy:

From June 1 to November 30, in the event a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area, Vero Beach area, Hilton Head Island, Oʻahu or for the Member's place of residence within 7 days before the scheduled arrival date, the Member may call Member Services at (800) 800-9800† or (407) 566-3800† prior to Check-In to cancel or reschedule, based upon availability, their Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation without any cancellation or modification penalty.

Just call Member Services at (800) 800-9800† or (407) 566-3800† as indicated above. If you were planning on staying at a Member Getaways destination and a hurricane warning is issued for that destination, please also contact Member Services.

PLEASE NOTE:

• We cannot guarantee availability of similar accommodations for the new travel dates.
  • The policy does not apply to certain special events and dining experiences (e.g., the Member Cruise).
  • This policy pertains to hurricane warnings only. Other weather advisory levels are handled on a case-by-case basis and Members should contact Member Services.

Hurricane policy:

From June 1 to November 30, in the event a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area, Vero Beach area, Hilton Head Island, Oʻahu or for the Member's place of residence within 7 days before the scheduled arrival date, the Member may call Member Services at (800) 800-9800† or (407) 566-3800† prior to Check-In to cancel or reschedule, based upon availability, their Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation without any cancellation or modification penalty.

Just call Member Services at (800) 800-9800† or (407) 566-3800† as indicated above. If you were planning on staying at a Member Getaways destination and a hurricane warning is issued for that destination, please also contact Member Services.

PLEASE NOTE:

• We cannot guarantee availability of similar accommodations for the new travel dates.
  • The policy does not apply to certain special events and dining experiences (e.g., the Member Cruise).
  • This policy pertains to hurricane warnings only. Other weather advisory levels are handled on a case-by-case basis and Members should contact Member Services.
So, I take it the bolded part means the points won't go into holding?

Just hoping they can reallocate my banked points used on the trip to another trip we have planned since we won’t be able to go back to WDW before the end of our UY.

As long as the trip you do have booked is in the same UY, you can ask them to reallocate the points..it will not automatically be done.

As long as the trip you do have booked is in the same UY, you can ask them to reallocate the points..it will not automatically be done.
It is, but the home resort is different, so not sure that will work. For example, we used AKV points for our WDW trip, but the trip I would want the banked AKV points to be reallocated to is at HHI. Of course, depending on the track of the storm, we may have to cancel that portion of our trip, too.

It is, but the home resort is different, so not sure that will work. For example, we used AKV points for our WDW trip, but the trip I would want the banked AKV points to be reallocated to is at HHI. Of course, depending on the track of the storm, we may have to cancel that portion of our trip, too.

It HH was booked during home resort booking, then no, they can’t reallocate AKV points…the policy simply will eliminate holding and sometimes will return borrowed points.

But they can’t change the rule of using non home resort points for those home resort bookings, unless there are still rooms.

Just to clarify, is it Orlando that has to be under a hurricane warning for the policy to go into effect? For example, if it doesn’t make landfall in Florida but Orlando still gets monsoon-type rains, then there are still penalties when cancelling, correct?

Just to clarify, is it Orlando that has to be under a hurricane warning for the policy to go into effect? For example, if it doesn’t make landfall in Florida but Orlando still gets monsoon-type rains, then there are still penalties when cancelling, correct?
Rain is not a reason to cxl with out penalty.
Weather and space launches ( 😀) here in Central Fla is nothing to plan on.
We just go with the flow.

Rain is not a reason to cxl with out penalty.
Weather and space launches ( 😀) here in Central Fla is nothing to plan on.
We just go with the flow.
That's what I figured. I guess I'm just wondering if say Tampa has a hurricane warning, would Orlando probably have one, too? Just curious whether it's typical for Orlando to go under a hurricane warning if coastal cities go under one. I just have no experience with this. Just trying to have a backup plan, if needed.

That's what I figured. I guess I'm just wondering if say Tampa has a hurricane warning, would Orlando probably have one, too? Just curious whether it's typical for Orlando to go under a hurricane warning if coastal cities go under one. I just have no experience with this. Just trying to have a backup plan, if needed.
Yes usually Orlando would be under some type of warning if Tampa or Melbourne on the other coast was under a warning. It might be a tropical storm since it’s more inland. It depends on if it’s predicted to skirt the coast or cut across the state which isn’t very wide.

Yes usually Orlando would be under some type of warning if Tampa or Melbourne on the other coast was under a warning. It might be a tropical storm since it’s more inland. It depends on if it’s predicted to skirt the coast or cut across the state which isn’t very wide.
Thank you for the information. So it seems that the only way to cancel without penalty is if there is an actual hurricane warning in Orlando. Tropical storm warning wouldn’t cut it.

Hurricane policy:

PLEASE NOTE:

The odds of a Hurricane **Warning** being issued for **Orlando** are extraordinarily low. HHI and Vero Beach the odds are higher I guess.

Thank you for the information. So it seems that the only way to cancel without penalty is if there is an actual hurricane warning in Orlando. Tropical storm warning wouldn’t cut it.

Or a Hurricane warning for the area one is traveling from as well…but no, tropical storms don’t so it.

Hurricane policy:

PLEASE NOTE:

While that time period is considered to be hurricane season, they can form anytime of year. Yes they can form in the winter months too. Since 1851 since hurricane records have been kept, there have been 96 off season hurricanes. Granted not all hurricanes make landfall. That is an average of an off season hurricane every 1.78 years.

While that time period is considered to be hurricane season, they can form anytime of year. Yes they can form in the winter months too. Since 1851 since hurricane records have been kept, there have been 96 off season hurricanes. Granted not all hurricanes make landfall. That is an average of an off season hurricane every 1.78 years.
History suggests DVC would make reasonable accommodations if something happens outside of the stated timeframe.

I know a little about this as we were evacuated from HHI prior to Hurricane Matthew

You won't be evacuated from WDW. It will likely be uneventful except possibly a parks closed for an evening, morning, or day. They will have characters possibly out and about in the lobby if that does occur.

Honestly going to WDW during a hurricane is the best thing ever IMO. I feel sorry for everyone who is impacted by a Hurricane but for me being from up north its the best week to be at WDW as people look to avoid it.

Also right now the track has it hitting Tampa which hasn't been hit by a Cat 3 (of 5) or higher hurricane in over 100 years. Florida has only seen landfall (and Orlando is well inland) of 4 hurricanes of Cat 4 or higher in the last 50 years. While a category 5 hurricane isn't something you want to just stroll around outside in its not really going to impact WDW although it would impact the airport as they likely would cancel flights.

The ONLY worry I would have is getting in and out of Orlando. As long as I was not flying between Tuesday and Friday I likely wouldn't worry. If I was then I would be trying to move my flights to get more time at WDW as again WDW is magical IMO during a hurricane timeframe.

Lowest crowds I ever experience was before/after Dorian in 2019.

We're driving offsite Tuesday. Check in Kidani Wed. Sail on Fantasy Saturday........

We're from inland SC so heading into a storm is seen as an adventure! (Cat 2 or lower only)

The odds of a Hurricane **Warning** being issued for **Orlando** are extraordinarily low. HHI and Vero Beach the odds are higher I guess.
I’m no expert - but Orlando was under a hurricane warning for Irma in 2017. I don’t know whether Orlando was under warnings when they closed for other hurricanes - Floyd ‘99, Frances & Jeanne ‘04, and Matthew ‘16.
From what I’m reading they’ll have a much better handle on TD 9 (future Hermine or Ian depending on how fast TD 10 develops) once it reaches/misses Jamaica about Sunday.
We're driving offsite Tuesday. Check in Kidani Wed. Sail on Fantasy Saturday........

We're from inland SC so heading into a storm is seen as an adventure! (Cat 2 or lower only)
You might want to take a look at the “M” for major (cat 3 & above) NHC threw up on their current cone right where TD 9 meets Florida 😉 Enjoy Kidani!
567BB11E-7D89-4386-AFC4-975E18F9461E.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter