Cancelling an ADR and avoiding penalty

Kazi7

Mouseketeer
Say you are unable to use an ADR on the day of the reservation and need to cancel...I have read that if you modify it to a later day, then you can cancel without penalty. Obviously, cancelling asap to give others a chance to take the ADR is ideal, but if something unforseen comes up, is this strategy an option?

It's CM discretion on a same-day cancel. I don't know that I'd count on it as a "strategy."
The way that I am reading the original question is, if you aren't able to make it to your reservation (after cancellation window has already passed), could you modify it to another day (more than 24 hours away) and then cancel the new, later reservation to avoid penalty? It wouldn't be a same day cancel at that point.

Interesting strategy! I wonder if anyone has experience with this?

Like most things, I'm going to guess that if there's a workaround to avoid a cost, Disney will be one step ahead of you.

You can't make a change to an ADR same-day, you have to call. So there's already that.

I changed three ADRs on the same day this week alone. Maybe they changed something or it's certain restaurants that allow/don't allow?
Maybe!

I know the app and the MDE website went into "you must call" mode for me after midnight same-day.

Say you are unable to use an ADR on the day of the reservation and need to cancel...I have read that if you modify it to a later day, then you can cancel without penalty. Obviously, cancelling asap to give others a chance to take the ADR is ideal, but if something unforseen comes up, is this strategy an option?

I would not count on this strategy. Yes, it will work at times, but not always. For instance, I had ADR for 4 people and tried to change it the night before. Nope. I asked the concierge to try to modify. She could not. I have seen this occur on others as well, and these were IN ADVANCE of the day of. Personally, I think that Disney is working on a way to stop folks from doing what you have proposed to do....work around same day cancelation fees. IF you are not going to make your ADR, I think it is best to just cancel and not leave it to chance that you can modify to avoid the fee.

I changed three ADRs on the same day this week alone. Maybe they changed something or it's certain restaurants that allow/don't allow?

We were at WDW the week after Thanksgiving and I was able to modify the time of a couple ADRs same day with no penalty using the app. I didn't think this was possible but glad I tried it.

We were at WDW the week after Thanksgiving and I was able to modify the time of a couple ADRs same day with no penalty using the app. I didn't think this was possible but glad I tried it.

RIght now it can be done, but not all of the time. I have no idea why some ca=n be changed and others cannot, but that seems to be the case. I am not comfortable telling folks that this is a viable option because the workaround is not a guarantee.

We tried this with Liberty Tree last week. DS2 started to get sick the morning of our lunch ADR. We were hopeful he would be feeling better by afternoon but that wasn't the case. Tried the modify-then-cancel method about 1.5 hours before our check-in time and no dice. Neither MDE nor website would allow me to modify or cancel. Had to call dining # and CM was very helpful. After I explained the situation she waived the $10pp penalty.

We tried this with Liberty Tree last week. DS2 started to get sick the morning of our lunch ADR. We were hopeful he would be feeling better by afternoon but that wasn't the case. Tried the modify-then-cancel method about 1.5 hours before our check-in time and no dice. Neither MDE nor website would allow me to modify or cancel. Had to call dining # and CM was very helpful. After I explained the situation she waived the $10pp penalty.

I tried to modify a candlelight processional package the day before, and this is not a 48 hour penalty ADR, and had to go to the restaurant. The concierge could not do this either.

I would try calling to change the reservation. I was running late for a reservation and we called and moved it back an hour without penalty.

I've never been charged the fee, typically I explain that were sick from the food the night before. Honestly, its such a pain to plan because you have to book these ADR's 180 days out before our plans are really solidified.

I've never been charged the fee, typically I explain that were sick from the food the night before. Honestly, its such a pain to plan because you have to book these ADR's 180 days out before our plans are really solidified.
Are you saying that you typically get sick from the food, or that you lie to get out of the fee?

I typically get sick from the food, but I don't blame Disney, I have unique diet issues. However, I wouldnt mind lying if necessary. The mouse takes enough of my money.

I typically get sick from the food, but I don't blame Disney, I have unique diet issues. However, I wouldnt mind lying if necessary. The mouse takes enough of my money.

My concern is that if Disney feels the the CM's are forgiving the cancelation fee too often due to "illness" that courtesy may be removed as an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!