Canadian Buffoon's DISmeet vacation - 09/14 - Bowled Over

OK, fine! I finally get in on one of your reports at the beginning where I don't have to catchup on a gazillion quiz pages and learn there ain't one this time.

:laughing:

I polled the crew
and the overwhelming response was:
"No more contests! Just stop! Geez!"

And :welcome: to the TR, Dee! :)

data or data? I pronounce it the first way.

Yeah, but so does everyone else!

Love your Martian-themed dessert

;)

And... thanks!

and that this TR will be a recipe swap, so to speak. Here's two from me:

This TR may not be good,
but at least it can be delicious!

Chocolate Mint Brownies

1 box brownie mix, prepared in a large pan (9 x 12 or 11 x 7)

Frosting:

3 Tbsp. butter or margarine, softened

1 ¾ cup confectioners sugar

2 Tbsp. milk

¾ tsp. mint extract

Mix frosting ingredients

Note: you may want to make more of the frosting, either 50% more or double.

Spread the Frosting on the cooled brownies

Glaze:

2 oz. chocolate (unsweetened recommended, but I used semi-sweet chocolate chips)

2 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Melt the chocolate with the butter, watch carefully so it doesn’t burn.

Mix and pour over frosting. Cool until glaze is firm in the refrigerator.

Note: you may want to make extra glaze, too.

Lemon Tarts-

Buy premade filo tart shells (in freezer section)

1) Buy lemon curd filling
2) Purchase blueberries (or other fruit)
3) Fill tarts with curd
4) Top with blueberry
5) Serve

This is my go-to when I need an emergency dessert.

Mixed berry version- heat frozen mixed berries in a pan with a Tablespoon of water and sweetener (I like Equal). Spoon into tart shells. Dust with confectioners sugar, if desired.

Thanks for both of those!
I will do double the frosting....

No particular reason.

:rolleyes1

Thanks!! I figured as much, but I didn't want to draw too much attention and make the other readers feel bad.

Very humble of you.

Yeah, I think I'm probably in the minority. Shorts a's for me.

Oh! I thought "æ" was A as in Day.

In that case...
Yes, I'm like you.

Which is probably fairly frightening to you.

I recommend finding a biscuit recipe you like, or getting some from a bakery/market, etc. None of those weird little sponge cakes they sell in the grocery store for this purpose. Definite downgrade!

You're making me look it up.... myself?

This is work, you know!

Oh! I thought "æ" was A as in Day.

In that case...
Yes, I'm like you.

Which is probably fairly frightening to you.

Deceptive, I know! The A in "Day" is actually /e/. And if that wasn't enough to mess with your mind, you might be wondering, "Well, gee, Meghan, what is the E sound then??" It's /i/. Don't get me started on what the I is...

You're...you're...like me... :eek: :scared1:

Deceptive, I know! The A in "Day" is actually /e/. And if that wasn't enough to mess with your mind, you might be wondering, "Well, gee, Meghan, what is the E sound then??" It's /i/. Don't get me started on what the I is...

I see.

(no. I really don't. I prefer it that way.)

You're...you're...like me... :eek: :scared1:
Sorry about that.
Day ruined?

I'm here! Definitely gotta follow along with this one!

Loved the greatest hits - you picked some good ones!

And I think I actually sometimes use each data pronunciation. Yes, I'm weird.

Glad to see you're doing another TR! And a recipe exchange. Cool idea! I have made the Mars Bars Squares a long time ago, everyone really enjoyed them, but I haven't done it in a while. I need to fix that!

And it's day-ta. Is one a British way and the other America? I have no idea. Just curious.

So here's my contribution. I don't know it's my favourite - I don't know if I can pick just one! But I have made these a few times and they are very good, but more like a meal than a cookie! I have to give credit to "The Disney Diner" website for the recipe. There is a bit of TLC that goes along with this recipe in how you bake them, but it's worth it. You can use just about anything for the add-ons, I use three kinds of chocolate chips (white, milk, dark).

Minnie's Bake Shop Chocolate Chip Supreme Cookies

Ingredients
*makes 1 dozen cookies

1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened to room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup powdered sugar (this is NOT a typo, it IS powdered sugar, NOT granulated sugar)
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Add-ins:
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
3/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
3/4 cup Wilton Candy Melts (light cocoa wafers), roughly chopped
3/4 cup toffee bits (optional)
1 cup chopped pecans or almonds (optional)
Anything else you may want like: M&M's, Reese's Pieces, butterscotch chips, etc.

Directions:
Place softened butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Cream with an electric mixer on high. Add the egg, water and vanilla. Mix well. Add in flour, salt and baking soda. Mix well to incorporate, stopping once to scrape sides of bowl then mix again. Add in chocolate and nuts then mix just enough to distribute throughout dough.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a standard-size ice cream scoop, place heaping scoops of dough onto cookie sheets. Give them plenty of room, you can probably fit about 5 per sheet.
Place the baking sheets of dough directly into your freezer. Let them chill for 15-20 minutes until firm. This will firm up the butter in the dough and prevent excessive spreading. Remember, we want the cookies to be thick mounds, not flat discs. Remove from freezer and place into hot (400 degree) oven. Set timer for 2 minutes. Blasting the dough at the high temperature will create a crisp outer shell while keeping the inside moist.
After 2 minutes, lower heat to 350 degrees and bake cookies for an additional 15 minutes until light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes on pans. Slide the cookies onto cooling racks and let cool completely, at least 15 minutes.

I'm here! Definitely gotta follow along with this one!

Yay! :welcome: to the TR, Irene!
I was hoping you would show up.

And yes... you do! :goodvibes

Loved the greatest hits - you picked some good ones!

Thanks! Those are my faves. :)

And I think I actually sometimes use each data pronunciation. Yes, I'm weird.

Yes you are. Just kidding!

I use them both too.
Depending on the situation
and how I feel, I think.

That probably makes me weirder...

But you knew that already.

Glad to see you're doing another TR!

Thanks!

And :welcome: to it!

Wait.... "glad"...
Is that a euphemism for horrified?

And a recipe exchange. Cool idea!

That goes back to my
very first TR.

Got some good recipes.
Tried most, too. :)

I have made the Mars Bars Squares a long time ago, everyone really enjoyed them, but I haven't done it in a while. I need to fix that!

You've made them!
Aren't they good??
And so easy!

And it's day-ta. Is one a British way and the other America? I have no idea. Just curious.

Hmmm....

I'd have to check the data on that.

So here's my contribution. I don't know it's my favourite - I don't know if I can pick just one! But I have made these a few times and they are very good, but more like a meal than a cookie! I have to give credit to "The Disney Diner" website for the recipe. There is a bit of TLC that goes along with this recipe in how you bake them, but it's worth it. You can use just about anything for the add-ons, I use three kinds of chocolate chips (white, milk, dark).

mmmm... sounds good!

Minnie's Bake Shop Chocolate Chip Supreme Cookies

Ingredients
*makes 1 dozen cookies

1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened to room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup powdered sugar (this is NOT a typo, it IS powdered sugar, NOT granulated sugar)
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Add-ins:
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
3/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
3/4 cup Wilton Candy Melts (light cocoa wafers), roughly chopped
3/4 cup toffee bits (optional)
1 cup chopped pecans or almonds (optional)
Anything else you may want like: M&M's, Reese's Pieces, butterscotch chips, etc.

two things.
1. powdered sugar is the same as icing sugar.
So I'm good there.

2. Wilton Candy Melts. Never heard of 'em.
I Googled... you get them at Walmart?

Directions:
Place softened butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Cream with an electric mixer on high. Add the egg, water and vanilla. Mix well. Add in flour, salt and baking soda. Mix well to incorporate, stopping once to scrape sides of bowl then mix again. Add in chocolate and nuts then mix just enough to distribute throughout dough.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a standard-size ice cream scoop, place heaping scoops of dough onto cookie sheets. Give them plenty of room, you can probably fit about 5 per sheet.
Place the baking sheets of dough directly into your freezer. Let them chill for 15-20 minutes until firm. This will firm up the butter in the dough and prevent excessive spreading. Remember, we want the cookies to be thick mounds, not flat discs. Remove from freezer and place into hot (400 degree) oven. Set timer for 2 minutes. Blasting the dough at the high temperature will create a crisp outer shell while keeping the inside moist.
After 2 minutes, lower heat to 350 degrees and bake cookies for an additional 15 minutes until light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes on pans. Slide the cookies onto cooling racks and let cool completely, at least 15 minutes.

Not that fussy. Do-able. :)
Do you open the oven door to rapidly cool it to 350?

1. powdered sugar is the same as icing sugar.
So I'm good there.
yep, same stuff

I have never actually used these - I just use Hersheys white, milk, & dark chocolate chips. But the Wilton, I've never noticed them at Walmart (although online store says they have them). The only place I've seen them locally are Michaels (yes, the craft store) and I think Bulk Barn (not sure if you have that out west)

Do you open the oven door to rapidly cool it to 350?
Not really, I tried doing it that way first, but then I just left the door closed and I didn't find much difference. Might bake for a minute less if you keep the door closed.

Sheesh! First I have to wait for summer,
now I have to wait for autumn???

:faint:
Okay if you want an anytime of the year recipe - I present to you Rice Krispie Squares pixiedust:
I get asked to bring this to all the family picnics and other events and it is super easy to make
INGREDIENTS
  • 50 ml or 1/4 cup margarine or butter
  • 1.25 L or 5 cups miniature or 40 regular (250 g pkg) marshmallows
  • 2 ml or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • 1.5 L or 6 Cups Rice Krispies* cereal
  • MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:
    1. In large microwaveable bowl, microwave margarine on HIGH (100%) 30-60 seconds or until melted. Add marshmallows, tossing to coat. Microwave on HIGH (100%) 45 seconds, remove from microwave, stir, then microwave another 35-45 seconds or until smooth when stirred, stirring after 45 seconds
    2. Stir in vanilla. Add cereal, stirring until coated.
    3. Using lightly buttered spatula or lightly buttered hands, press into buttered 3.5L (13 x 9") pan. Cool. Cut into bars.
    Cooking times are for 700 watt microwaves; increase by 15-30 seconds for lower wattage ovens.
  • You can also cook on the stove top. I don't do that because I find that I cook the butter and marshmallows until they are totally melted but then they become tough. You have to only cook until they are starting to meld together and then I would probably remove from heat and stir until they are mixed and melted.
I am going to check out the other dessert recipes here and see which ones I want to try.

Going back to the data vs data question I am going with this
I think this is what I was trying to say.

I have seen them at Michaels craft stores as well in the cake decorating section.

I have never actually used these - I just use Hersheys white, milk, & dark chocolate chips. But the Wilton, I've never noticed them at Walmart (although online store says they have them). The only place I've seen them locally are Michaels (yes, the craft store) and I think Bulk Barn (not sure if you have that out west)

Yeah, the Wilton candy melts!! My mom and aunt and I used to melt them down and use them in candy molds to make chocolate lollipops for holidays and different themes. And...sometimes I'd just eat them. The red ones are my favourite. They definitely do taste different. NOT a fan of the pink or blue ones. Unless that's changed since I was a kid. They have them at our Walmart here in the cake decorating aisle, near the craft/sewing stuff. I've heard of Bulk Barn being out west also?? But any bulk-type store should carry them. We had an independent bulk store in Fredericton called "Scoop & Save" which was my favourite place as a kid because they also sold a lot of bulk candy.

hPPtziV.gif

Oops sorry now you have to come up with another one. I just made them on the weekend with the new Spring Rice Krispie that are for sale right now and they were yummy.
Perfect! You saved me from posting this one. ;) That was going to be mine. LOL!

Well I had planned on coming here and posting a recipe, but I woke to find a puddle of water on my computer keyboard and the keyboard no longer works. Instead I canceled my Chiropractor appointment and Fran let me have the computer that she bought for herself last Fall but never got to setting it up. I've spent the entire day trying to download my files from Carbonite. :headache:

Once I get my recipe files, I'll post something here.

But the Wilton, I've never noticed them at Walmart (although online store says they have them). The only place I've seen them locally are Michaels (yes, the craft store) and I think Bulk Barn (not sure if you have that out west)

Wilton products are available at Walmart, Hobby Lobby and Michael’s in the Chicago area. Most places that sell cake decorating supplies sell Wilton. They also have their own online store http://www.wilton.com/shop/ though I’m not sure they ship to Canada. (On a side note, Wilton is local to us and have a huge warehouse sale every year which often has people lining up for hours)

OK, I think I'm going to go with two recipes. And both of these can be made year round, in fact this first one is a good one for cold winters. And don't believe the serving size, it's 6 or 8 small servings. 4 good size servings.

Warm Chocolate Mud Cake:

Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
6 tbsp. butter (or oil...I use canola oil)
2 oz. semisweet chocolate (or 1/3 cup chocolate chips)
1 cup sugar (separated: 2/3 cup and 1/3 cup)
3 tbsp. plus 1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup milk
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups hot water
whipped cream or ice cream

Instructions:

1. Coat the inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. (Cake's cooking time and final appearance will vary depending on slow cooker size)
2. Whisk together flour and baking powder in medium bowl and set aside.
3. In large bowl, melt chocolate and butter in the microwave. (Double boiler could also be used.)
4. Whisk 2/3 cup sugar, 3 tbsp. cocoa, vanilla extract, salt, milk, and egg yolk into the melted chocolate. Add flour mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed.
5. Pour batter into slow cooker and spread evenly.
6. In medium bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, the rest of the cocoa, and the hot water until sugar is dissolved.
7. Pour the mixture over the batter in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 to 2 hours, depending on the size of your slow cooker.
8. Even when done, cake will be very moist and floating on a layer of molten chocolate. You will know it's ready when nearly all of the cake is set and the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pot. (As you check, try not to let the condensed steam from the lid drip onto the cake)
9. When it's done, turn off the power and remove the lid. Let it cool for 25 minutes, then serve it in bowls with whipped cream or ice cream. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

As I was copying the second recipe I realized that it features coffee, so I scrubbed that one. You can also make this year round because you can use frozen blueberries instead of fresh.

Blueberry Dumplings

Total: 50 min
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 35 min

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar, plus 1 1/2 cups
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/4 cup milk

1 quart fresh or frozen blueberries
2 cups water
Vanilla ice cream or fresh cream, for serving

Directions
Stir flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. Cut butter into dry ingredients, using a pastry cutter or fork. Add milk to form dough. Set dumpling dough aside.

In a large saucepan, combine berries, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and water and bring to a boil. Drop dumplings into hot boiling berries by the tablespoonful. Cover pot, reduce heat to low, and cook slowly for 20 to 30 minutes. Do not remove the lid before 20 minutes has passed, and do not stir dumplings. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or fresh cream.

Joining in. I will have to think about my favorite dessert and come back and post it.

I made this for our family Christmas dessert this year. There was none left...

Holiday Gingerbread Trifle (Irish Recipe)

Ingredients

Irish Gingerbread:
  • 1 Cup (8oz/225g)) light brown sugar
  • ¾ Cup (8oz/225g) Treacle/molasses
  • 2 sticks( 8oz/225g) Butter
  • 3 Cups (16oz/450g) Ap flour
  • 2 tsp Ground ginger
  • 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
  • 2 Whole Eggs
  • 1 ¼ cups (10floz/300ml) Whole milk
  • 2 level tsp Baking soda

Cream Cheese Orange Cream:
  • 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • ¼ cup (2oz/55g) sugar
  • 1 orange, zested and juiced
  • 2 cups heavy cream

Cranberry and Orange Sauce:
  • 2 bags (12 oz each) cranberries, fresh or frozen
  • 2 cups (400g/14oz) sugar
  • 1 orange, zested and juiced
  • 2 cups (16oz/45ofloz ) water
*****I used this recipe for my cranberry sauce though:*****

Spiced Earl Grey Anise Cranberries:
  • 2 1/4 cups sugar
  • 4 whole cardamom pods
  • 3 whole star anise
  • 3 cinnamon sticks
  • 5 Earl Grey tea bags
  • 8 cups whole cranberries (about 2 1/2 bags, fresh or frozen)
In a 4-quart pot over high heat, combine 1 3/4 cups water; 2 1/4 cups sugar; 4 whole cardamom pods; 3 whole star anise; and 3 cinnamon sticks. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes. Add 5 Earl Grey tea bags, and simmer exactly 2 minutes. Remove tea bags and spices with a slotted spoon and add 8 cups whole cranberries (about 2 1/2 bags, fresh or frozen). Increase heat to medium-high and simmer, stirring often, until cranberries soften and split their skins and sauce thickens, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature before serving (the sauce will thicken further as it cools). Or cover and refrigerate up to 4 days.

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 150oC/300oF.
  2. Grease and line 2 loaf tins (9x5”)
  3. In a pot, gently heat the sugar, butter and treacle until melted. Set aside to cool once melted.
  4. Sift the flour and spices over the mix and stir in. Then whisk in the eggs.
  5. Whisk the eggs together and then pour them into the treacle mix.
  6. Whisk Warm the milk in the microwave or in a pot on the stove. Whisk the bicarbonate (baking soda) into the milk . You will see it bubble and activate.
  7. Whisk the milk straight into the treacle mix until well combined. You will notice this is a thin batter, that's ok.
  8. Pour the batter into your prepared tin.
  9. Bake at 300oF (150oC) for 45 minutes. Then gently cover the tins with ally mum foil and continue baking for a further 15 minutes. This step is very important as it creates a lovely sticky, moist gingerbread.
  10. Once the hour is up take them out of the oven, leaving the foil on.
  11. Now let them sit on a wire wrack in the tins until they are totally cold. The warmth of the cakes steams the cake and you get a beautifully sticky top and a soft moist cake.
  12. Store your gingerbread well wrapped in parchment paper and cling wrap. The bread will stay fresh for 3-4 days. Also freezes well.
  13. For the Cream cheese orange filling : In the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk (or in a large bowl with a hand mixer), whisk cream cheese until smooth. Then add sugar, orange zest, juice and cream. Beat until the mix thickens and doubles in size. Store in the fridge until needed
  14. Cranberry and Orange Sauce :In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, orange zest and juice and water. Bring to a simmer over low; cook until cranberries begin to burst, 10-12 minutes until it resembles jam and is thick. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
  15. To build your trifle: In your presentation bowl, lay in cubes of gingerbread. Top with a thick layer of the orange cream filling. Then generously spoon over your cranberry sauce. Repeat layers again for a BIG and BOLD trifle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter