Can you share a place you couldnt wait to eat but was a huge letdown

My only big disappointment with Disney dining was Earl of Sandwich which everyone always raved about. What a letdown - lowd, crowded and totally mediocre food. This was back in the days of Downtown Disney. All my other Disney dining experiences have pretty much lived up to my (either high or low) expectations.

Via Napoli. Vile food and horrid service. My then-husband had just been to Italy and was looking forward to having non-American pizza and it was so bad. My son, who is a pizza expert had one slice. I didn’t even finish my one piece. And I was on the phone with my cc company to find out why they had decided to decline a $5 charge and close our card, and the server acted like I was just being a jerk.
We enjoy the pizza there. Sometimes the service is just a bit slow, but we're never really in a hurry. I have to ask, how is your son a pizza expert?

My only big disappointment with Disney dining was Earl of Sandwich which everyone always raved about. What a letdown - lowd, crowded and totally mediocre food. This was back in the days of Downtown Disney. All my other Disney dining experiences have pretty much lived up to my (either high or low) expectations.

OMG Yes!! I will never go back to that nightmare. Too crowded, too loud, couldn't even get a cup of coffee without arguing with the girl at the counter. A manager had to step in to get her to give me coffee because she was insisting it wasn't included in the Quick Service credit and wanted me to take a soft drink and pay for a cup of coffee....and all this for a sub par sandwich.

Jiko. Everyone raves about this signature. We have been there 3x and each time it's the worst meal of the trip. From terribly chewy steaks, to $50 dishes that are only 4 bites, to watery mac and cheese. Every single time it was bad.

BOG pre the pre fixed change. Food was over hyped and sub par.

I'm actually with you, there. I'm going to give the new dinner one shot, and it's the last chance for this restaurant. If I'm not wowed by it, I'm probably never booking there, again.

Tiffins - went there for a (hopefully) nice lunch as we would be there all day (unusual, as we never eat anything at AK but CS). The check for dh & I was near $100 before tax or tip and no drinks as we prefer water.

Will not go back. Dh had what they 'called' a wagyu steak (which definitely was not, as we knew impossible at that price). Really don't know how they can get by with calling it that. Anyway, both of our meals were so small that we were not satisfied at all, and we are not appetizer or dessert people - prefer to have a snack/dessert later. We are also small people and don't like extra large meals at one time. Anyhoo, for us it was a bust.

When I went to Tiffins, I had the exact same complaint about the entree sizes. They are small small small, especially for the price.

I also have to say that the seating at Tiffins is worse than Le Cellier, and The steakhouse in Epcot gets universally panned for how tight their tables are. The table next to me or my DW or I (I forgot who) complained about the entree size, and was glad that they (we?) ordered an appetizer. The other 3 nodded in unison rather quickly.

more... This thread got me thinking. A couple of trips ago, I realized I didn't like the shrimp I had in most of the restaurants at WDW. The Boathouse and Boatwrights come to mind. It took me a while to realize I don't care for the taste of pacific shrimp. Aside from the off-taste in the shrimp at Boatwrights, everything was very salty. In addition, the steak my wife ordered was so thin it reminded me of the sole of a shoe. The shrimp po-boy at Olivia's is the only shrimp I will consider ordering.

Sanaa. Probably one of the most beloved restaurants on these boards and on property in general, I'd never seen anything but rave reviews, and since we stayed at Kidani in June, I was so excited to try out this restaurant. BUT, it should be mentioned that I really didn't have much experience with that sort of cuisine prior to Sanaa.

I now know that I despise the taste of curry, and that "butter chicken" is not as delicious as it sounds.

And I almost hesitate to say it, but I didn't like the bread service, which is SOOO popular.

This in no way reflects the quality of Sanaa. I'm sure people who enjoy that type of food love it. It just wasn't for me. Pretty place though. We weren't seated near windows, but it wasn't a big deal since we were staying at the resort anyway and could see the animals whenever we wanted.

I'd also count BOG as a letdown. We had breakfast there in 2016. Meh.

Its good to try new things and places.
Unfortunately, if you have not tried much Indian food before or don't like curry, definitely not the place for you, as you found out. It has is own set of unique spices that some love (me included) and other don't.

Coral Reef. We should have known better but we had a wonderful meal here last visit and were trying to get lucky a second time. This past trip they messed up everything! Wrong drinks, allergies not handled properly, slow service, main dish food coming out seconds after appetizers hit the table, missing salad ingredients, raw pork. It was crazy how much they could screw up! No apology either..

Le Cellier. It was the single worse meal I have ever had at Disney. I can easily (and for a lot less money) make a better steak at home. Plus it seemed like they were using salt to cover up any other flavor that could have existed. All you tasted was salt. Add in how close the tables are and lack luster service and I will never go back. Total waste of money.
We found every table service we had this past trip was heavy on the salt and butter to accommodate for poorer quality cuts or cooking. Even Cali Grill was overboard on the fake flavors tricks.

We found every table service we had this past trip was heavy on the salt and butter to accommodate for poorer quality cuts or cooking. Even Cali Grill was overboard on the fake flavors tricks.

I don't cook with much salt at home, so I also find that everything at WDW tastes super salty.

I don't cook with much salt at home, so I also find that everything at WDW tastes super salty.

Also not a heavy user of salt but so far have not found oversalting a problem at the TS restaurants we've eaten ate. I expect comestibles to be highly salted at QS though.

'Ohana. Total garbage. Possibly the worst AYCTE dinner on property.

Tough, overcooked steak, gloppy noodles, and generic frozen appetizers that you can buy from a box at Costco.

I have no idea how this is on people's must do list.

We love it because we request our food the way we prefer it. If the steak is overcooked we tell our server how we want it and they bring it. Same with all other items. Why accept whatever they bring? Order it how you want it and you'll get it.

We love it because we request our food the way we prefer it. If the steak is overcooked we tell our server how we want it and they bring it. Same with all other items. Why accept whatever they bring? Order it how you want it and you'll get it.
How is this different than any other restaurant? If you order a steak, you tell them how you want it cooked, no matter what restaurant you are at.

How is this different than any other restaurant? If you order a steak, you tell them how you want it cooked, no matter what restaurant you are at.

Because at Ohana it's all you can eat where servers walk around carrying food and stop by each table asking if anyone at the table wants what they are currently carrying. People often say sure, take whats given and then complain its not to their liking. These forums are full of such complaints about Ohana. For us, if the server has steak I ask if its medium rare. If its not I ask for it. The server then comes back with the steak how I asked. But too many people just take whatever the server has at the time and that's the cause of many complaints.

I think probably every restaurant is covered here by now, but for us on our trip just last week it was Ohana and Via Napoli. Ohana was very loud, busy, and the food was just OK. Not to our typical palette either. Via Napoli was also very loud and busy, and our two individual pizzas took 40+ minutes to come out after our appetizer. I attribute this to them having only so much room in the wood fired ovens, and likely the majority of people in the restaurant at any given time ordering pizza. The pizza itself was just OK, very thin and not that filling. And we both had black lips from the char on the bottom! lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter