Can we talk about TIPFLATION for a minute?

So, the deal with these tablets is that there IS a way to disable the tipping feature, but it's kind of annoying and the business owners have found that they make a fair amount of extra money because people decide to tip. Every single one has a "no tip" option, but sometimes it's small and hard to see. That's by design, obviously.

There is no expectation of a tip at a place that is self serve or counter serve. If you choose to leave a tip, that's on you, but don't think the employees are expecting them. They probably don't even see a penny of it. The business owner just keeps it.

If you don't want to tip, don't.
Agreed. And I have no problem just asking "where is the no tip button?"

I can tell though that a lot of clerks are very uneasy with it and point out up front where the option is.

I will add though that my daughter worked at Starbucks during college. And while it wasn't a tipped position, it made her day when there were tips to be split up.

Yes it’s insane. I see this everywhere now and I don’t tip unless it’s a traditional tip-for-service interaction. My teen DD recently started part time at Pizza Hut, just stands behind the counter and takes peoples orders and checks them out. She came home and was talking about her tips and I said “tips?! For what?” She said “I don’t don’t know it pops up on the screen and people just click the tip”. She literally does nothing but check people out. Crazy.
Yes totally. I usually pick up takeout for my wife and I then grab McD's for the kids. The takeout is a restaurant and they expect a tip, usually 10-20%. Many times it takes a while and something is missing in the order. McD's is fast and usually accurate, but it would feel weird to tip. Why??

Yes totally. I usually pick up takeout for my wife and I then grab McD's for the kids. The takeout is a restaurant and they expect a tip, usually 10-20%. Many times it takes a while and something is missing in the order. McD's is fast and usually accurate, but it would feel weird to tip. Why??
Why do you think they expect a tip? I rarely tip for takeout, order online and hit $0. Cashiers are also encountering these screens too in their day to day lives. So many people don’t use cash anymore so here’s a way to tip if one wants, just like a tip jar.

Why do you think they expect a tip? I rarely tip for takeout, order online and hit $0. Cashiers are also encountering these screens too in their day to day lives. So many people don’t use cash anymore so here’s a way to tip if one wants, just like a tip jar.
The touchscreen asks if you want to tip 10, 20, or custom IIRC. They've definitely never said it to me outright.

The touchscreen asks if you want to tip 10, 20, or custom IIRC. They've definitely never said it to me outright.
But that just it, they didn’t buy the screens or design the screens, I’m sure they’d be grateful for a tip but I doubt it’s an expectation.

Is anyone shocked at YouTube channels with all of these patrons? I like some channels and I’ll watch the ads and watch their videos to the end but I won’t commit to a monthly fee.
I'm often surprised by what channels/accounts have a lot of subscribers, but in the end, people aren't forced to support anyone on Patreon. Many of them have a very cheap low level. I support a podcaster I've listened to for over 15 years for $1 per month. I feel that's more than worth all the hours of free entertainment I've received.

Restaurant servers aside, the one group of people I tip very, VERY well are.....airport baggage handlers. Do NOT tick them off. They have the ability to send your luggage anywhere in the world. If you treat them respectfully and tip them well, chances are your luggage will arrive without any troubles. Give them no tip or an insulting tip, and you could end up spending time in the airline's baggage claim office when you arrive at your destination.

I was at crumble cookie a couple of months ago, buying a gift card.

I did the entire transaction myself at this kiosk / table thing -- interacting with nobody in the store....and the machine asked if I wanted to tip?? Who the &@&#% was I tipping...myself?!?

100% agree that especially since Covid tipping has gotten over the top nuts.
I was at Crumbl Cookie last week and when the tip screen came up the 3 options were
25% - 30% - 35%

They did have a custom tip option, that wasn't exactly easy to find, and I left 10%

Restaurant servers aside, the one group of people I tip very, VERY well are.....airport baggage handlers. Do NOT tick them off. They have the ability to send your luggage anywhere in the world. If you treat them respectfully and tip them well, chances are your luggage will arrive without any troubles. Give them no tip or an insulting tip, and you could end up spending time in the airline's baggage claim office when you arrive at your destination.
Our usual terminal doesn’t have skycaps anymore and there can be huge lines inside. Worth the tip!

Coming home from Disney, I had a frozen bottle of water in a bag trying to keep two sandwiches chilled. ( yeah I’m cheap). I give the guy our bags and tip and then asked if he wanted the bottle. I had no idea if he would take, but I would have had to chuck it soon anyway. He did with a big smile.

Coming home from Disney, I had a frozen bottle of water in a bag trying to keep two sandwiches chilled. ( yeah I’m cheap). I give the guy our bags and tip and then asked if he wanted the bottle. I had no idea if he would take, but I would have had to chuck it soon anyway. He did with a big smile.

FYI, you can carry frozen liquids through TSA. I do it all the time. If there is condensation around the bottle, they will pull the bag for a search. But as soon as they see that it's frozen, they will let you go.

The liquids rules on planes are because they don't want flammable or explosive liquids to come on board in large quantities. These types of liquids do not freeze.

I was at crumble cookie a couple of months ago, buying a gift card.

I did the entire transaction myself at this kiosk / table thing -- interacting with nobody in the store....and the machine asked if I wanted to tip?? Who the &@&#% was I tipping...myself?!?

100% agree that especially since Covid tipping has gotten over the top nuts.
Not only should they be tipping you, you should get commission for, effectively, bringing more custom their way! 🤣

Yeah, I've grown weary of this trend and usually tip around 5% when I pick up food that I've ordered on-line. It usually starts at 15%, some at 20%, so I find the "other" box and tip something, but no more than 5%. Sometimes I'll tip to get to a 5 or 0 on my order....so if the order is 67.77, I'll tip $2.23 to get an even $70....easier to remember as when I enter the amount into my budgeting app. But to tip 15% on food that I've ordered and am picking up....is ridiculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter