• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can we get our own luggage when using Magical Express?

disney-super-mom

DIS Veteran
I'm so sorry to ask this question - it's probably been asked many times before.

But, it'll just be DH and I in January when we visit WDW for the first time, and we'll only have one checked bag. Our flight doesn't get in until a little after 5:00pm, and I don't want to wait until 8-9pm or later for our bag to show up.

Can we just get our own bag before taking Magical Express to our resort? :confused3

Yes you can. We have done it both times!!! I just like having our stuff with us from the get-go!!!

disney-super-mom said:
Can we just get our own bag before taking Magical Express to our resort?
Yes. You can throw away the yellow tags and retrieve your own bag(s) at baggage claim. The Magical Express driver will handle your bag(s) at the motorcoach, so a tip for the driver is appropriate.

However, because of the extra time you'll spend at the airport, it's likely you'll get to your hotel 20-60 minutes later than if use the full Magical Express service.

My advice is to pack carry-ons with anything you'll need right away. Then let Magical Express deliver your checked bag(s) to your room while you're out dining or having fun. Disney pays the inbound bellman tip for luggage delivery, so you don't have to wait in your room.

disney-super-mom said:
I'm so sorry to ask this question - it's probably been asked many times before.

But, it'll just be DH and I in January when we visit WDW for the first time, and we'll only have one checked bag. Our flight doesn't get in until a little after 5:00pm, and I don't want to wait until 8-9pm or later for our bag to show up.

Can we just get our own bag before taking Magical Express to our resort? :confused3

According to the DME info. I received today.......yes you can get your own lugguge. It says not to use the tags enclosed.

vacation dreamer said:
According to the DME info. I received today.......yes you can get your own lugguge. It says not to use the tags enclosed.
Yes. As noted earlier in this thread, guests can use the DME transportation without using the DME luggage service.

But the big question is, why would someone want to throw away the best part of DME?

Why would someone want to deal with luggage at the airport and at the hotel? Why would someone want to spend an extra 20-60 minutes at the airport before boarding a DME motorcoach? Why would someone want to pay tips to those who assist with the luggage, rather than letting Disney pays the tip for inbound luggage service?

Actually there are some good reasons not to use the DME luggage service, such as wanting to be able to set up a tent (that was sent as checked luggage) at Fort Wilderness, without possibly having to wait until after dark.

It seems the number one reason why some people choose to retrieve their own luggage has to do with control — wanting to know that the luggage made it onto the flight, and wanting to arrive at their resort hotel with luggage.

For the rest of us, it's great to breeze through the airport and arrive at the resort as soon as possible. It's great to check-in at the resort without the burden of checked luggage. And it's great to find our bags waiting in the room after returning from a park, from a pool, or from dinner.

Horace Horsecollar said:
Yes. As noted earlier in this thread, guests can use the DME transportation without using the DME luggage service.

But the big question is, why would someone want to throw away the best part of DME?

Why would someone want to deal with luggage at the airport and at the hotel? Why would someone want to spend an extra 20-60 minutes at the airport before boarding a DME motorcoach? Why would someone want to pay tips to those who assist with the luggage, rather than letting Disney pays the tip for inbound luggage service?

Actually there are some good reasons not to use the DME luggage service, such as wanting to be able to set up a tent (that was sent as checked luggage) at Fort Wilderness, without possibly having to wait until after dark.

It seems the number one reason why some people choose to retrieve their own luggage has to do with control — wanting to know that the luggage made it onto the flight, and wanting to arrive at their resort hotel with luggage.

For the rest of us, it's great to breeze through the airport and arrive at the resort as soon as possible. It's great to check-in at the resort without the burden of checked luggage. And it's great to find our bags waiting in the room after returning from a park, from a pool, or from dinner.
Great post. I agree 100%

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter